View Full Version : Nice deal on RCA and Scott on ebay.

sean
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
RCA 641 TV and a Scott 800b for $70. Pickup only in MD and 10 hours left to go. I have no connection to the seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-641-TV-Television-phonograph-radio-E-H-Scott-800B_W0QQitemZ5821954168QQcategoryZ3638QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bgadow
10-26-2005, 12:20 PM
There is also a thread on this in TV Swap. I spoke with the seller; he seemed pretty confident it would sell. If nobody steps up I'll rescue it. I'm glad I called him, I think we can do some horse-trading regardless of whether I get this monster!

polaraman
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Bryan,

Tick - Tick - Tick time is running out! :worried:

polaraman

Sandy G
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Anybody out there have an 800B cabinet that they could make drawings of so I could have one made? I don't need the TV part, or the 800B, I have one-just need the cabinet. -Sandy G.

Eric H
10-26-2005, 05:16 PM
That 641 is beautiful, if I had room and it was closer I'd be going for it!
I think that's the console version of the 630TS isn't it?

Jonathan
10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the 630TCS is the console version of it, but don't hold me to that.

Jonathan

bgadow
10-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Ended, with no bids. Well, then I guess that makes this an orphan. Better give the fellow a call, maybe I can adopt the poor kid!

The ETF site calls this a '47 model; had it been listed as a true '46 I would have been more apt to want it. Of course, I'll keep you guys posted.

Sandy G
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Looks like the 800B was "extra" to the TV-Wonder how the chrome on it is? hope you get it, Bryan

Eric H
10-26-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure about the year, one book I have lists it as a 46.

I thought the RCA numbering system was first digit=year: 621, 630, 641 were 1946, 721 1947, 8TS30 8T243... 1948 and so on up till 1949 at least.

Perhaps this was the year of design but the model year could have been later?

The 1950's had a similar system outlined here: http://antiqueradio.org/rca09.htm

bgadow
10-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Well, gang, I got it! This worked out real well. The scoop:

The seller has been agressively advertising in the local market for tube equipment. It turns out our interests compliment each other. He is into tube audio while I am interested in older radios & any tube tv sets. Luckily he is like me in that he can't stand to let something go in the dumpster. I was able today to work out an even swap. I think we both feel we got the better end of the deal! He got pretty much all of my "better grade" audio stuff (all fixer uppers) & I got the TV, the Scott, plus a pair of speakers from some c.1930 radios & a pair of NOS 6BG6's.

There are some interesting stories on this tv. First: there was a gentleman here in my small town who was an avid radio collector. He had worked long & hard to set up a museum but his health failed & he passed away several years ago. His family did not share his interest & so has been slowly selling things off. The first time I talked to the man's son he told me of a tv he had just sold, an unusual upright console with a small screen. From the way he talked he sold it cheap. I had visions of this being a prewar set & this had me wondering for the last couple years. Well, it turns out THIS set was the one he was talking about. So, its back to it's old hometown! I can't say if it was originally from this town but the radio push buttons are from this area. The seller today informed me that it was one step away from the rolloff dumpster, as was the Scott, when he saved it!

The set is not in great condition. The cabinet is rough, in need of a total redo. It was full of leaves & there are signs of mice. Many of the tubes are missing. Other than that, its all there. I'm going to save it. (I will admit that if I had a good table top cabinet for this machine I would have to think hard about swapping it out) I tested the picture tube-its a GE 10BP4A, and it showed very strong right off the bat. Now, here is something odd: the sticker on the chassis doesn't read RCA, but Crosley/AVCO! The model # is 9-408, serial # 628. I know that early Crosleys were relabled RCAs (from what I've read anyway) so I can guess that either someone swapped this somtime way back or maybe it was a factory screwup. I'm sure its the former. Lots of original looking RCA tubes in the set, anyway.

I still don't know what year it is. The '6' would sure seem to indicate '46; the ETF website says '47, and thats hard to argue with. Morgan McMahon's book "Flick of a Switch" says '49. The schematics I dug up were not published until 1950. All else I know is that it has channel 1 & the tv chassis # on the tube chart is KCS-25A.

As for the Scott, its the first one I've ever had my hands on. Missing the tuning eyes but otherwise seems to be complete. I think the chrome on the chassis will polish up okay but that on the 'cans' is peeling in places. Apparently the cabinet was pretty well shot.

It may be awhile before I dig into the 641 but I will be sure to post when I do. At some point I want to get this inside but something has to go to make room. We'll see.

One more thing: I want to thank rldtv-01 & Sean for posting the auction. Otherwise I would have never known about it as I don't check ebay all that frequently.

polaraman
10-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Gotta love Horse tradin! :deadhorse

I would check my 641 but it is buried at the moment. In the Process of packing to move. My chassis did say KCS25A though.

polaraman

Eric H
10-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Just as a point of reference, the 621 chassis is KCS21 and the 630 is a KCS20.
Seems like a KCS25 would probably be from 1947?