View Full Version : Do ya still use your old tv's?

Telecolor 3007
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Do you still use your old tv sets? (I use from time to time my 1984 Telecolor as tge 2nd set in da house).

jpdylon
10-24-2005, 03:39 PM
All I have in the house is old tv sets. My bedroom tv is a 1968 Zenith color set that is still working ok, although it will need some service soon as the vertical is becomming jittery. My listening room has a 1974 Zenith Chromacolor II that hardly has any hours on it. It needs a new trippler, but afterwards it will be fine. The living room has a an RCA colortrak 2000 from 1983 that is still working fine except for the worn out touchpad. it has a remote the size of a small book. Other sets I have are in the works, but once I'm done repairing them, I'll put them to good use as well.

frenchy
10-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Once in a while, especially if an old 50s or 60s color show happens to be on free tv (don't have cable). A portacolor in the bedroom occasionally and a cherry ctc-16 in my living room, till I get the ctc-10 with the remote control finished up and in it's place. Oh yeah and a little Zenith porthole in the living room in a corner I watch I love Lucy on from time to time.

Carmine
10-24-2005, 06:17 PM
This B&W Zenith from '58 (I think) sees almost daily use for an hour or so each night. It's never been recapped. It has a microphonic vertical tube... every half hour or so a light smack solved the problem. Hasn't bothered me enough yet to open it up.

The newest set in my house is a 27" Zenith from 1990.

Big Dave
10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
I play my restored sets about two hours per week. My big Zenith combo serves as the main watcher.

Adam
10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
I also only have old sets. My newest is a portacolor. I hardly ever watch that. I used to watch my 67 zenith color all the time, but now I think the filter caps in the power supply are going bad giving the picture that 'wavyness'. Lately I have been watching alot of my 59 maganvox B&W console (the one with the newer replacement crt), and my 61 zenith 23" B&W.

holmesuser01
10-25-2005, 08:15 AM
My RCA CTC-10C gets run about two hours a week. I've noticed that some of the vertical issues (retrace) is going away on its own. The only problem that it still has is 60 cycle hum in the audio. I also have a Zenith 21" B/W set from 1958 complete with the remote control. It runs decently, considering it sat in a closet for 30 years.

andy
10-25-2005, 10:41 AM
---

bgadow
10-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't won't much tv on my own (mostly its me reading the paper while my wife is watching). If something worthwhile is on I'll fire up an old set. I try to rotate. Lately it has been my porthole, because its the last one I fixed. Prior to that it was the CTC-11; Zenith 25MC30; Motorola 21" color; CTC-12; CTC-5 (in descending order)

Jeffhs
10-25-2005, 03:19 PM
My Zenith Sentry 2 (1995) in my bedroom doesn't get much use except as a backup to the RCA CTC185 (1999 vintage) in the living room. I do fire up the Zenith every now and again just to see if it still works, which it did the last time I checked. The set has a beautiful picture on its original CRT--I'll probably move it to the living room if and when anything happens to the RCA, since the latter is out of warranty and may not be worth repairing again--it depends on what goes wrong with it next. (If the CRT goes, I'll junk the set without thinking twice.) I say "if and when" because the RCA still makes a wonderful picture on cable, my VCR and DVD player, and still has its original CRT. The set has almost six years on it now; the way it's going, I may still be watching it in 2009 when all TV is set to go digital. :yes: I've only had one problem with the RCA in all the (nearly) six years I've had it: the RF port on the tuner PCB snapped off the board shortly after I bought the set, and I think the jungle IC has something amiss as the tech who fixed the RF port problem (the set went to a repair shop in the next town south of here for the repair) informed me that his lab tests showed some minor problem with the chip. However, the TV still works well on cable as I mentioned, so I guess the jungle IC can't be too badly damaged.

JCFitz
10-25-2005, 08:58 PM
I don't have anything real old but I use my little 1982 GE 10" tv every day while I'm on the computer and the news is on and sometimes all evening if I'm watching local programming as I don't have an outdoor antenna,DirectTv won't let me have CBS or ABC thanks to my local stations and it picks up much better than my 1985 Zenith Advanced System 3 which i use for watching DirectTv,DVDs and videos.Both sets are running strong with good color.The last one to need repair was the Zenith.2 problems.One was heat fatigued solder connections and the other was caused by a mouse that got into the set and peed on the circuit board.The strange one was the GE when I got it originally would play for a while and then the vertical would collapse.I thought it needed griplet repair which that chassis usually needs.I played it a few evenings while working on other things and one evening it didn't act up.Has been playing without a hitch for over 2 years.Never seen a tv fix itself.My uncle used a 1968 Zenith combo every day til 2000 when he got a refurbished Toshiba projection tv.He's still got a 1979 Zenith Chromacolor 23" with one knob tuning in his den.Gets used a lot.And an early 70's Panasonic in his bedroom.

tv beta guy
10-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Well, my daily watcher TV is a 1996 GE/Thomson set. After doing the tuner board repair and such, it has worked perfectly for the past 9 soon to be 10 years with a lot of use.

But for old TVs, I regularly use the solid state TVs I have, which range from 1972-1985. The all tube and hybrid sets I use only on the weekends, which are from 1965-1976 (Oldest one I have is from 1960, but needs restored.)
I actually got a mint '68 Portacolor earlier this year. I turn it on once a month for an hour maybe 2 at the most. I actually set the sleep timer on it to shut it down after that time. I want to be able to use it, but keep the hours low on it.

There's just something magical about watching a 30-50 year old TV that you won't get with a modern black/silver plastic box...

Am I the only one that likes that distinct smell of hot vacuum tubes? ;)

Sandy G
10-25-2005, 09:47 PM
...or watching the little white dot slowly fade away when you turned it off...?-Sandy G.

tv beta guy
10-25-2005, 09:53 PM
...or watching the little white dot slowly fade away when you turned it off...?-Sandy G.

Oh yeah :) I even had one that did it in reverse... it did it as it warmed up :D

frenchy
10-25-2005, 10:20 PM

It works best and lasts longer if you turn the brightness way down before you turn it off, hee hee!
That's even fun to do on a Portacolor, ever try it, especially after you crank down the brightness? It does the dot thing but it splits into the 3 separate color beams and they are real bright dots and kinda twinkle as they go out, pretty cool.

rp2813
10-26-2005, 04:05 PM
I exercise my 1950 Admiral 10" bakelite consolette maybe once a week. Sometimes it's on for less than 1/2 an hour, sometimes I end up watching it for the better part of the evening. It has DC restoration/retrace issues that I'll eventually take care of but it's not worth the trouble right now. It's in the guest bedroom hooked up to a VCR for remote control purposes. I need to make a pedestal for it because watching it from the bed you can only see the upper 1/2 of the screen.

I get a lot more than the little white dot when I shut this one down. If the lights are all out it will go on for about 30 seconds or more with little flickers of light in different "corners" of the screen. I find myself not leaving the room waiting to see how many flickers I'll get out of it. Kind of gives the effect of faint and distant flashes of lightning.

TVtommy
10-27-2005, 01:42 PM
The only one that gets any use is my 23" color Zenith in my tv shop. I turn it on when i go in there and off when i leave. It has some demod xfmr issues (typical to these) but i mostly just listen to it.Got the buzz pot tweaked just right(need to touch up the quad coil but it ain't got on my nerves enough yet).