View Full Version : CTC '?' Current Project

southernguy
10-23-2005, 10:31 PM
I found this set at the local Dump several years ago. The Model# is "GH680F" . The chassis in the set was removed, but the Tube, Yoke, Tuner, and Specker was there. How nice, this is usally just my luck to have something missing. :sigh: . Ive been running this set off of spare CTC 31 chassis that a local tv shop gave to me. So far for the past three years of daily use this rigged up set has worked well. The Tube is good with a bright picture. Cataracts have started forming and there forming fast. Probably because Ive been using this set in the shed. The Cabinet is falling apart from Ive moved so much in the past four years. Now, Its time to make this thing work like a TV should. Im going to rewire the original tuner into the CTC 31 chassis. Does anybody know what the original Chassie # for this set would be. I suspect its something very close to a CTC 16 even though its not a roundie.

bgadow
10-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Thats a correct model #, its in Sams 879-3, a CTC-25. c.1967

Chad Hauris
10-23-2005, 10:53 PM
ctc-25 is very close to ctc-16 only the 25 adds pincushion components for the rectangular tube (not needed on round) and the 25 has an IC-transistor audio stage.

southernguy
10-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks Bryan and Chad, Ill use the CTC 31 for now, Hope the tuner will be ok. The Cabinet hasbeen at my dads house for the past week. He put a new finish on it. It looks a lot better. As for me today, Ive been having fun preforming cataract surgery to the CRT. It was easier than I thought it would be, I used an old paint bucket to hold the tube. Left the yoke inplace and ziptied the converge board to the mounting bracket on the CRT. The glue peeled right off. Then washed safety glass with dawn dish soap. I really did not feel like going to town today so I used some cheap "goop" stuff that was lying around. Its worked really well on glass before. Sealed the outer edge of the CRT and safety glass. Its just a matter putting everything back together for now. :)

jpdylon
10-23-2005, 11:35 PM
That's a nice looking cabinet. I've never done the cataract surgery before, but its god to know that it's not a complete nightmare.

Can't wait to see the finished product:thmbsp" Post pics of your progress !!

southernguy
10-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Thanks Jordan, I've always loved the way this one looks. I got the tube and Mask back together in place today. The cataract surgery turned out better than I thought it would. Ran into a little trouble with CRT mounting strap. It had sliped out of place some time before. Had to tighten it back up. And now on to the fun part of putting it all together with a CTC 31 chassis with a CTC 25 tuner. Does anybody have a set simmuliar to this. I would love to see pics of it if anybody does. :)