View Full Version : Ctc-30

Chad Hauris
10-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Here's one I don't think anyone has discussed here, the RCA ctc-30. My business partner John got this at an estate sale today, he said there are more old sets so we will return tomorrow.
It has an automatic tuning system with a push button and channel number that light up on the side but strangely doesn't have a remote. Inside the control panel are the usual controls plus a panel lamp dimmer and a sharpness control. there is an extra green indicator light below the screen.
The crt is a new Sylvania 23v type installed in 1980.
The chassis is very similar to ctc-16 but it has a transistorized sound system.

At first we couldn't get HV so we reseated the 3a3 and 2av2 and got a raster but we are having real trouble bringing in a good signal, the picture is very snowy. replaced the mix-osc tube, no difference, so it will need some more troubleshooting.

jroberts500
10-22-2005, 11:18 PM
I had that set in a beautiful lowboy home entertainment center. It had the same front control panel as yours but was a full function remote with motors on the volume, color, and tint controls. I was a small 14 year old boy and lifted one side of it and thought I had lifted something average men would have trouble with. I loved that set for it's looks and sound, etc. It was "The Sebastian" HH-872 according to a brochure I have. Is HH a '68? I think the version I had was a '67(HG?). I changed the CRT and got everything working perfectly and a nieghborhood lady friend of mine, Veda Ford(formerly Veda Callahan), kept it til '92. I came back to find it in '99 only to see the huge rectangle it left in her carpet. She gave it to the Salvation Army in Saint Petersburg, Florida. It could still be around. It was in a dark wood Spanish Mediterranian style cabinet. A masterpiece, according to my brochure. However, after seeing the brochure I wish I could find "The Falkenburg" HH-868 which is a Contemporary Danish-style lowboy. I like that look the best, with it's surfboard-shaped top having a slate-colored inlay and Nordic-inspired doors. As the brochure reads: "Nordic-inspired center doors vie for interest with the wood louvers that mask the speaker area". Someday I hope to find one of the tall armoire style home entertainment center versions of the same system as shown in my brochure. I keep thinking that maybe some of these condos I live around may have one left. I hope so. If I figure this forum out better I will post a photo from the brochure.

southernguy
10-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Om my, my aunt has one like this, It would be at my house, but her set is still working. Its last repair was in 93. Very nice set. :)

Chad Hauris
10-22-2005, 11:58 PM
This must have been the top of the line chassis for RCA in 68 or so...I'm sure we will get ours going. It's in pristine condition inside, came from a very wealthy home. Can't wait to see what's at that sale tomorrow!

It's easy to post photos, just click "manage attachments" and then you can browse through the directories on your hard drive till you find the photo and then just click "upload" and that's it.
Only problem could be if the photo's too large (too big file size) if so...just get it in your photo editor program and resize it smaller.

jstout66
10-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Chad, What a NICE set!! The original owners shelled out some money for that picture tube. An all new black matrix Sylvania would have still been pricey in 1980. Can't wait to see pictures of it running!

captainmoody
10-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Nice set Chad! I have a CTC 30 but it is in a huge, ugly, medeterranian cabinet entertainment center. Mine is a 1967 model. Works great still and has a newer RCA crt. I love the tuning setup on mine even though it has no remote. Very cool 60's design.

Telecolor 3007
10-24-2005, 09:38 AM
@Chad Hauris: what are indicating those light (1-12). And that 59? The knobs are made form metal or plastic.
Tranzsitors on the audio :thumbsdn: :worried: They should pot 'em on the video side.

Chad Hauris
10-24-2005, 07:47 PM
The numbers 2-13 are for the VHF channels, when you turn the knob, the light lights up behind the channel you're on. The "59" is the UHF channel indicator...this is a detented indicator with 3 UHF channels per detent. You turn the fine tuning knob to bring in the channel you want out of each group of 3 and it remembers it. That mechanism is gummed up though so the UHF knob does not turn.

The knobs are chrome plated plastic.

We got the set working today! got out the tube tester and found a bad 1st IF tube. We set up rabbitears on it and It's in a crummy reception area in downtown Midland, tall buildings causing ghosting, but we could get color and a fairly good picture apart from ghosts. We plan to install Direct TV or cable in this building so we can get a better signal.

Telecolor 3007
10-25-2005, 03:12 AM
But the set dosen't have channel 1?

daro
10-25-2005, 04:05 AM
I noticed that there is a faint line on the CRT, I looks like there was a vert collapse some time in the last 25 years & it has left its mark tattoed on the screen.

I know that some owners would still leave the set on when someting like that happens just to follow the show in sound only un be knowns that the damage is being done.

vintagecollect
12-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Chad, nice set, even a screen burn should maybe replace crt if cheap spare is available? Great Set!!! Please keep us posted with pics. Nice style, definetly a classic!!!!

:thmbsp:

Chad Hauris
12-17-2005, 10:50 AM
We have got the set hooked up w/ a DVD player but I haven't downloaded the picture off the camera yet...you really can't see the screen burn when the set is on, and it is a black matrix CRT so we probably won't replace.

Chad Hauris
12-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Here is the CTC-30 working with the DVD of "The High and the Mighty" and the RF modulator.