View Full Version : Looking for Kaye Halbert TV's

G.B.
10-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I have been looking for some Kaye Halbert TV's made in Culver City, California late 40's & 50's.They were famous for the cabinets & they made a 27 inch TV with remote control on a 25 ft. cord. No knobs on the front of this model set. We had one when I lived in S. California. I did know a Radio - TV club member that had two. He started working on TV's when he was 14. He found them after I told him about it. He also had the DuMont 30 inch in his collections we have any members that have any info , & or has some of the K. H. sets?

kx250rider
10-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Is that you, Gerald with the Kaiser cars (Enid, Oklhoma)? I still have that 27" remote! I thinned out my collection of TVs severely, but still have a dozen or so Kaye-Halberts.

Charles

G.B.
10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
YES, Still have your pictures that I took in 1987.Remember ?You wanted for Insur proof. if You had a loss....Lost You when you moved... P .M .me on your email address & personal & I will do the same. Still got your DuMont 30 inch ? How many you still have? ...G.B.

Sandy G
10-24-2005, 03:20 PM
A Royal Sovereign ?!? You, sir, are, Exalted in my book then... I think they're more rare than CT-100s...Does yours work ?-Sandy "I'm not worthy" G.

kx250rider
10-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Sandy G,

Thanks for the compliment... But I am afraid I no longer have that one. The Royal Sovereign does still work, but I sold it to another collector here in LA about 12 years ago. The finish was pretty badly burned in my fire in '88, but is restorable. The fellow who bought it from me has it displayed with the doors open so it doesn't show the damage. He also has a second one. I found both of those in local newspaper ads. The burned one (working) is a weird late-model one with a one-piece chassis with turret tuner. The second one is the original model with Mallory Inputuner and dual chassis.

G.B.,

Good to hear from you! My eMail address is motocrossKXrider@yahoo.com. It is very ironic that you mentioned about taking those photos... In July of '88, that house on DuPont St exploded and burned while we were in the process of moving. Nobody seriously hurt, and thankfully I had already moved the bulk of the TVs. What I lost was a restored working CT-100, that Sonny Clutter had recapped. Also the Royal Sovereign was charred up, but the doors were shut so it is fine inside. It is refinishable. There were a couple of 7" sets lost, and a CBS Colortron 19" (CRT only). One Kaye-Halbert was also damaged but can be refinished.

At this point, I live in a much smaller place and I have limited my collection to Kaye-Halberts, and a few small early Sony and Panasonic color sets. I still occasionally buy or "rescue" a TV from a garage sale or even eBay.

I posted a few photos... (This is my first upload at this site, so pardon me if I get it all bolixed up)... The interior house photo is showing the corner where the Royal Sovereign was, and of the damage to the set. The other photo shows the front of the house, and the sad remains of the CT-100 from the bedroom upstairs. Again, although no insurance on the TVs, the TV loss was a minimum thanks to the LA Fire Dept saving my back room, and thanks to the fact that I had already moved most out of the main house.

Charles

G.B.
10-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Ok, will get back with you soon Kaye Halbert TV I am heading home from work. Ah home from work now ........G.B.

TVtommy
11-07-2005, 06:22 PM
that really sucks about that fire. back when i was restoring my ct-100's i would have nightmares about the neck getting snapped on the 15gp22 or i would go to turn one on and find the phosphor plate collapsed. then i would wake up and realize thank goodness it didn't happen. my fate was much worse (to me) - forced to liquidate:(. Later on I did see a 15gp in a fellow collectors garage that did have a collapsed front plate and surprising enough still was under vacuum and tested good. go figure.