View Full Version : Felton/CTC9/21CYP22A surviving in a unheated garage

Jonathan
10-18-2005, 11:53 PM
I was curious, as the colder weather moves in, I was concerned about the Felton in my garage. I'm in Pennsylvania, and the winters do get cold. Will having the Felton with it's 21CYP22A in my cold unheated garage over the winter damage the CRT or shorten it's lifespan in any way? It weighs about 200lbs and is very hard to move, but I'll move it if I have to.

Thanks.

Jonathan

polaraman
10-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Is there a possibility that the Lytics could freeze?

polaraman

Randy Bassham
10-19-2005, 09:11 AM
The only thing I'd be concerned about would be condensation. If you go from very cold weather to a warm day all that glass and metal will condense water on it. I've even seen wooden cabinets get very wet from condensation....

bgadow
10-19-2005, 11:37 AM
An all-glass picture tube can withstand a lot of abuse. The crt in my ctc-15 spent 10 years face down in the woods but still works great.

frenchy
10-19-2005, 02:28 PM
The only thing I'd be concerned about would be condensation. If you go from very cold weather to a warm day all that glass and metal will condense water on it. I've even seen wooden cabinets get very wet from condensation....

Yup, check out his pic of the chassis and the rusty tube shields : ()

Chad Hauris
10-19-2005, 05:25 PM
When I was a kid at my parents house in Ohio I had equipment in the garage get rusty because of condensation. The humidity combined with the temperature variations in that geographic region will cause a lot of condensation in stuff. It shouldn't hurt for a short while but would recommend a place with a more consistent temperature for long-term storage.

thank goodness for the climate in west Texas. very dry and warm...never have a problem with rust from condensation.

Charlie
10-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I've pulled many sets out of the attic of that old TV shop in my town. Many of them... both color and b&w... still had good CRT's. One of them was a metal/glass 21AXP22 in that 56 Motorola. That attic gets freakin hot in the summer... damp and cold in the winter. Most of those sets had been up there untouched for 20-30 years. Over time, the cabinets and chassis suffered, but seems the crt's held up well. I'd say your CRT is safe.

If memory serves, didn't Cory show us a picture of an old Zenith that was playing while sittin outside in 2 feet of snow? THAT was a tough set!

Jonathan
10-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys. The chassis is in my house and I'm going to replace the electrolytics with modern ones. The Felton will soon be moved into my house, hopefully.

Thanks again.

Jonathan