View Full Version : Hurricane and TV Collector

Steve D.
09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Just sending good wishes to long time TV collector Fred Hoffman and his family who live in Corpus Christi, Tx. Hurricane Rita, a catagory 5 as of this writing, is headed in Fred's direction. Of course the best to all who live on or near the Gulf coast. A tough time, lately, for those folks.

Fred's site: Main TV Page

Address:http://www.pakratz.com/tvmain.html

-Steve D.

Steve D.
09-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I believe Charlie is in that area also.

Bob, Absolutely. Charlie lives in Nederland which is near Beaumont, Tx. Also in Rita's sights. Thanks for calling attention to this and best to Charlie and his family a well.

-Steve D.

polaraman
09-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Charlie is also works on a ship!

Charlie, I hope it is not time for you to go back out to sea!

The right side of the Hurricane is the worst side to be on. The experts are expecting a 25 foot storm surge.

We got hit by Hurricane Agnes (category 1) in Pennsylvania in June 1972. Hurricane Agnes is still in the top 10 hurricanes for damage. I was only 5 years old at the time. I have vivid memories of whole houses floating down the Susquehanna river. I bring this up because of the need for folks to seek a safer place. Water is NOTHING to play with.

I pulled a picture from a web site of a man attempting to repair his parents television after the Agnes flood.

polaraman

mbates14
09-21-2005, 10:00 PM
DUDE. this hurricane is hit an all-time streingth.

It is at 175MPH!!!!!!!! never seen one of that intensity before,unofficially its a cat 6, but thats unoficial. Thats not good. parden my french, and my gut instinct, BUT YOU NEED TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE, AND NOW.

pheew, i let the cat outta the bag. :no:

Charlie
09-22-2005, 09:17 AM
I left the Beaumont/Port Arthur area yesterday and drove to my place in the woods. It's about 90 miles inland near a little town called Warren. My parents and some friends will be here later today... now that the Beaumont/Port Arthur area has issued a mandatory evacuation. I don't expect to see them till later in the late afternoon because of the congestion on the road.

I won't have any water issues here... I'm a few hundred feet about sea level here. I'll probably have plenty of rain, but no surges. Winds will likely take out cel service and maybe power.

I've been preaching to everyone for years that leaving early BEFORE area officials call for evacuation is the best thing to do. When I drove up here yesterday, there was some congestion, but i think it was also due to 5 oclock rush hour. It took me an extra 10-15 minutes to get here. Normal drive time from my home to the camp is right at 1 hour. Had I waited till today, it would likely take me 3-6 hours to make the same drive. This is based on past evacuations. This is why I always tell people here they should leave earlier... do not wait for city or county officials to tell you to leave.

Leaving earlier also helps your car/truck. If you're stuck in traffic for several hours, there's a good chance of the temperature guage creeping up on you (and we all know there's a certain group of human beings that don't even know what that guage indicates). So being stuck in traffic, in hot weather (yesterday it was 97), running the a/c, and got the car loaded with people or belongings can be a strain on your car. Next thing you know, you're stuck on the side of the road. So keep that in mind as well for evacuations. If you leave early before everyone else, you'll be a lot better off.

Early preparation is the key. Get everything you think you would need when the hurricane season first starts. Don't wait till a cat 5 storm is 200 miles away.

mbates14
09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
thank god your out of there. phew....

what about your collections??

Charlie
09-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, the Duster didn't have quite enough room to pack a bunch of color consoles. :no:

mbates14
09-22-2005, 04:40 PM
uh oh

southernguy
09-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Glad to know that you will be ok Charlie, I hope Fred is too.

Carmine
09-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I guess the Duster will make it. I sure hope you get through this with minimal damage. What a shame. :worried:

As much as the winter sucks here, thank God we don't have the ocean to deal with. I'll take my enourmous bodies of water frozen in the winter!

Good luck Charlie!

fredh
09-23-2005, 07:09 PM
We dodged a big one down here in Corpus Christi. Absolutely no rain or wind. Maybe 25 to 30 tomorrow but we have stronger winds than that on any given day of the summer. Glad to hear you made it out OK Charlie. That thing is going in VERY close to your QTH. Everyones kind thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.
Fred

mbates14
09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
jeez, thank god. At least you know you got that little someone looking over your sholder.

Anyway, Around where I am, we dont get hurricanes, tornadoes, or anything. W ewill get some good storms once in awhile, but thats about it. Good ol cincinatti.

kc8adu
09-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Anyway, Around where I am, we dont get hurricanes, tornadoes, or anything. W ewill get some good storms once in awhile, but thats about it. Good ol cincinatti.
tell that to the folks in harrison? oh.or xenia.

mbates14
09-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Im talking about where I live. The way the weather patterns are, by the time most storms get here, they lose their energy and begin to weakin. Its all about timing. Some times, they come at prime heating of the day, and thats usually when shit like that happens, but its very few and far between, unlike the midwest where the timing of the weather systems always hit when prime heating is in place.