View Full Version : GE CX roundie

southernguy
09-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Ok, I was told I should post this one on here. This is a GE 21' roundie model # M934XWD with a chassis cxz119 or acording to sams photofact its just a CX chassis. Probably an RCA clone. I got this set from an estate sale when I was 14 some 10 years ago. I was happy to find something like this but sadly to say that who ever had it broke the neck of the picture tube and cut parts and wires out of the chassis. The only few things that were still intack was the tuner, speaker, power knob, all the front panal controls, and the flyback. This set had a metal cabnet but, I still liked it anyway. The picture tube that was in the set was a 21CYP22, I could be wrong about that because sams says it should of been a 21FJP22. Also I'm a little confused about exactly how old this set might be nor have I come across a set simular to this one. The Sams photofact says 1964 but it I think its a little older than that with date codes that date to 1960. Look close at the picture. One might wonder how I got this set to work. Would you beleave that this set now has a rectangular tube in it. About 4 years ago I had some modern TV parts lying around after a busy year of repairs at the shop, I thought, well a modern 25 inch tube would fit perfectly in this cabnet. So I proceeded to do so and it did with a few pieces of wood and zip ties. I have used this rigged up set for 4 years now with no issues. Even with the origonal speaker and using a remote control it works just fine. The main problem with the new set inside of the cabnet was that it would never power on/off with the remote or power button to begin with. So I went even futher. I wired up the origional power knob into the new set. It cuts on and off now. Anyway after said all that, I know now where I can get a replacement 21CYP22 tube, only if I could come across a chassis that would make it all work like it should work. Has anybody come across a simular set like this? I still have the flat tinted faceplate panal but since it has modern tube in it I left it out. Just thought I would share this with everybody.

frenchy
09-13-2005, 05:31 AM
So what non-original parts did you put into the cabinet besides the rectangular pic tube - the rectangular's chassis too? Or other parts? Or just the tube and that's it?
Nice picture by the way!
Frenchy

Chad Hauris
09-13-2005, 06:34 AM
I have one of these sets but it uses a 21FJP22 so doesn't have a seperate safety glass. The GE chassis is very similar to an RCA CTC-15.

jroberts500
09-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi, I think it is great that you are going to restore it properly. If you stick around here long enough I am sure you will get everything you need!
Good luck and have a nice day! John

holmesuser01
09-14-2005, 08:18 AM
During my TV repair years, I rarely saw any GE tube color sets.
I NEVER saw the round-tube sets at all. Thats a good looking set you have there, Southern.

It's interesting getting to see sets that I never got to see in their heyday.

southernguy
09-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks everybody, Hopefully i will come across a compadible chassis for this set some day but in the mean time I guess I will leave it the way it is with basicly a modern tube and chassis inside (All solid State). It still WOWS friends of mine that come over to visit as they have no clue its a fake for now.

Charlie
09-18-2005, 11:32 AM
It seems your parents didn't give you one of those PlaySchool toddler toys in which you fit the shaped pieces into the shaped holes! :D

I think that's a very impressive "conversion" you did on this set. Mounting a rectangular CRT behind the round mask must have been a job. Looking at the picture, you'd never guess that was a modern set in that cabinet (unless one was there in person and witnessed the set coming on unusally fast).

I'd like to see a photo of the insides... if you don't mind. I'm sure it's not pretty, but would be interesting to see. :yes:

That's a very nice cabinet. Don't see too many General Electric roundies. Hopefully with some luck, you'll find the chassis that's supposed to go in there! :)

andy
09-18-2005, 01:05 PM
---

southernguy
09-19-2005, 10:46 PM
I will try to take some more pictures later on this week. Unfortunately I ended up throwing away the chassis several years ago after trying to piece it back together. One of circut boards was crack, most of the resistors, wires, caps were cut out. I know a little bit more about this stuff now than I did then. :no: One a bright side all of the tubes were in place and they helped bring two other RCA rectangular sets back to life.

Telecolor 3007
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I think the set is newer than 1960.
I sow an Japanesee tv set from about 1963-65 that had an 21CYP22A picture tube.

southernguy
09-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Ok, Here is some inside pictures, don't make fun :) . I also put the safety glass back on. It seems to of helped the contrast out a little bit.

Telecolor 3007
09-23-2005, 11:14 AM
It's a fake roundie!

Steve D.
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Looks like you might qualify for two forums. A well conceived fooler indeed. IMO, I would just leave it alone and enjoy.

-Steve D.

frenchy
09-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Wow that is actually pretty cool looking, that "chassis" really looks tiny in that big box, it's like, where's the rest of it?! Sort of like just a tube and an old convergence board in there and no main chassis! Nice job of making a pseudo roundie! Maybe you should just add a little timer circuit to it so it warms up slower (: 0)

wa2ise
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
A little more effort any you could patch the old tuner's IF output into the new chassis. Both should have the same IF frequencies and impedancce levels (around 50 ohms Z). Looks like the new tuner is a small metal box on the new set's circuit board, just cut a trace on its IF output, and patch the tube tuner's IF at that point into the new set's IF amp (check that there's no DC riding on the IF!). AGC might be an issue if the tube tuner wants AGC. You could probably rig up an op-amp level and gain shifter circuit to take the new set's AGC line to convert it to what the tube tuner would want to see.

jackson
09-23-2005, 09:12 PM
That looks really good how you put a new chassie in it. I never would have thought a modern CRT would fit worth a darn. Good shot of John too :) I just listened to Imagine the other day on Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs gold disc, if your a fan you should check out their new releases they sound very good.

smoker76
05-31-2006, 03:39 PM
I bet it would be perfect for your GE set! so, if you still have that Zenith CRT you found awhile back you should be able to have a complete and rare GE roundie!
I will call you later.