View Full Version : color and b/w on ebay

charliesheen
09-04-2005, 01:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-LOT-vintage-televisions-TV-ZENITH-RCA-take-all_W0QQitemZ6205885198QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

oldtvman
09-05-2005, 02:33 PM
these sets arent old enough, I throw sets away like those constantly.

Chad Hauris
09-05-2005, 05:54 PM
DRH is that you? I know how it can get with too many TV's, I have been taking some of my more modern sets to the thrift store and donated them...they have sold, too.

Whirled One
09-05-2005, 07:00 PM
these sets arent old enough, I throw sets away like those constantly.

Maybe so, but I think a few of those have some possible interest... I wouldn't mind having that RCA CTC-53 with remote; I've never seen one of the remote-equipped versions of that set before. Also some of those Zenith portables might have possibilities. I don't think I'll bid though; the travel distance isn't too bad for me, but there's no way I could possibly take them all. BTW, that Sony looks to me more like a KV-1210.

drh4683
09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
yep, its me. Too many sets not enough room. Need to clear out some space again.
Yes, it is a KV-1210 I was wrong.

why do you throw sets like this away? Just because they arnt old enough? If these sets are not saved now, then they will be gone for good. Tube type or hybrid USA built sets do not deserve to be thrown out no matter what! Cheap new foreign made junk with no pride in craftsmanship is what should be thrown out constantly!
I am realistic however. considering once I am gone, the sets I tried to save will be smashed in a dumpster by someone who could really care less. They are just surviving another 50 years longer than they are supposed to I guess........

joe_tbird
09-07-2005, 04:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-LOT-vintage-televisions-TV-ZENITH-RCA-take-all_W0QQitemZ6205885198QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

If the lot doesn't sell, I would be interested in just the 1959 Zenith table top radio.

Thanks,
Joe

Whirled One
09-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Man, still no bids... DRH, any chance the winner wouldn't actually have to take the whole lot? ...Or even most of it? You could even re-offer the rest of the lot on eBay later..! :)

As far as oldtvman's sentiment of "throwing sets away" just because they're not "old enough", well, wait 20 or 30 years from now. Will they be "old enough" then..? :) I'm not that old, but it wasn't long ago when color "roundie" consoles appeared at yard sales and estate auctions and such all the time, and nobody wanted 'em then. I turned down [I]several opportunities in the early 90's to get an Apple Lisa (including original Lisas with the Twiggy drives) for next to nothing, but now, only ten years later, they're quite sought after as the classic computers they are. Wish I had bought one then...

Anyway, while I agree with Doug [I hate seeing stuff like that tossed out... :( ], I suppose it's almost inevitable that all "products-that-become-collectible" don't *really* become sought after (and "valuable") in the collectible market until enough of that item has ended up in the landfill... That "dumpster factor" is a big part of the reason why Action Comics #1 is valuable now, and Beanie Babies aren't. If everyone way back when bought 5 copies of Action Comics and kept them all this time in mint condition stored in mylar bags, they wouldn't be worth that much now..! It's all supply and demand, you know. ...But, even so, that can work to your advantage if you enjoy collecting things that have low demand (even if the supply isn't too high either), because costs are low.

Chad Hauris
09-07-2005, 08:30 PM
In my opinion it is wise to save the tube type sets even if they are junkers, there is no more of those parts being made! At least save the chassis and the crt's if they are good. It's a shame to throw anything away. I keep seeing fewer and fewer and fewer of the tube type TV's at estate sales, etc. so it is not yet a problem of me having too many of those type of sets as I hardly find any anymore.

DRH, in 50 yrs those of us on this board and maybe a few others will probably have the only surviving examples of tube type TV sets outside of maybe the Smithsonian or something! Like I have said they are already starting to get pretty scarce. I don't think they will be dumpstered then...It would be like trashing an Atwater Kent radio or a Victrola today, or hauling a Model T to the junkyard...pretty rare.

I had a lot of 1980's solid state sets that I had collected from the recycling days and that I had found through the years that I really wasn't using, most of them worked. Donated them to the thrift store and was so glad to see them sell.
The only time I have really thrown away TV's recently has been junky old cabinets of 70's and 80's non-working consoles. All of the parts, I salvaged before disposing of the cabinets.

bgadow
09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Still not sure what I'm going to do with some of that stuff I brought home last month. I wish there was someone not too far away that could come by & load up; these early 70s sets would be such a pain to ship, not worth it in my opinion. I just can't bring myself to toss them; thought about parting out but the thing is that the best container for, say, a CTC-53 is a...CTC-53! Guess I'll have to lug them up in the attic or something. These are unloved by so many, but I had a big pile from this era 15 years ago & wished ever since I had kept them. They just don't turn up anymore. When a thrift shop or auction or whoever does end up with one it goes straight to the dumpster. Only late model solid state remote black boxes seem to have any hope of finding a new home on the used market.

andy
09-08-2005, 02:27 PM
---

bgadow
09-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Andy, if we are ever in the same place you might be able to talk me out of that CTC-22. It works but the color doesn't.

Chad Hauris
09-09-2005, 01:46 PM
5GH8's?!

andy
09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
---

joe_tbird
09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
It's too bad we collect things that are so hard to ship.

Try shipping a car. Although a car can usually run under its own power, I wouldn't drive a just purchased 1959 Ford Galaxie from Iowa to NJ. Fortunately there are shipping companies for cars, and they do exist for bulky items like console TVs. I've used a company called Craters and Freighters (www.cratersandfreighters.com). It's a little more expensive than UPS or renting a U-Haul truck, but they offer the convenience of coming out to pickup the set, and handle all the packing and shipping for you. I've shipped a few sets with them and never had any damage.

Joe

joe_tbird
09-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Man, still no bids... DRH, any chance the winner wouldn't actually have to take the whole lot? ...Or even most of it? [I'd only want a few items] You could even re-offer the rest of the lot on eBay later..! :)

<snip>

As Whirled One suggests, you'll probably find it easier to find a buyer if you sell your lot in smaller groups, or individually. Just a suggestion.

Chad Hauris
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
We had about 5 file cabinets full of photofacts folders moved by a moving company from out of a basement in a house in Ohio to our shop in TX. for around $1000. Very reasonable I think considering all of the labor involved...they all came out fine.

Shipping a TV set with a package delivery service like UPS is taking a chance on damage, as it can be tumbeled around and parts can break free inside it from all the movement and possibility of dropping it...you really have to take it apart I think so there is nothing that can break free and knock into the CRT. I think ideally you need to have the sets strapped to a pallet and covered with a wooden or cardboard crate so there is only one way they can be moved, that is right side up with a forklift or pallet jack.

bgadow
09-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Chad, re:-22, tube swapping helped but didn't fix it. Project for another day.