View Full Version : eBay goofiness

Eric H
08-12-2005, 05:04 PM
C'mon, at least get rid of the evidence before you take the pictures :rofl:

"One good sign is that there was no picture tube booster connected to the back of the picture tube which means that there is probably plenty more life left in the picture tube"

Look closely:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1948-Admiral-TV-Model-30A1-Wood-Cabinet-Local-PU_W0QQitemZ6552273117QQcategoryZ38038QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's listed under Telephones so maybe someone can get it cheap.

vintagecollect
08-13-2005, 02:02 AM
Not into B/W TV , but CHEAP if in NY!!!! Someone help the guy, needs to clean house!!

:lmao:

darthm00by
08-13-2005, 02:39 AM
nice can of varnish ;)

Eric H
08-13-2005, 05:56 AM
What I meant to point out was the two CRT boosters sitting on the upper and lower chassis.

I hadn't noticed how rotted out the cabinet was! :yikes:

jroberts500
08-13-2005, 04:47 PM
That is funny that he noticed everything but the most obvious. Somehow I think I would not have missed that brightner being plugged into itself and looking newer than the rest of the set.
I wonder if, when asked, he will think fast enough to say he put it there incase the buyer needs it long into the future when and if the expectedly fresh crt ever starts to get weak.
It could be an honest mistake.
As much as I like these TV's I have seen much evidence to believe that many of these poor repair guys, all alone for so long and often rarely engaging in healthy interaction with other actual humans, seem to basically go kinda crazy. Perhaps I'm the crazy one for thinking it's possible to spend too much time alone.
Any opinions?

Bill Cahill
08-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I think we're all nuts! I sent an e-mail asking if he'd part it out. That rot looks more like termites to me... I've seen my share of termites.. I think he blew it showing 2 boosters..May be tube was so weak they put 2 on it to see the picture. I've seen that done. Of course, for some reason, it shortens the life of picture tube filament. Kinda' takes it up a few volts..... :yes: :lmao:

Big Dave
08-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I know I'm N-V-T-Z NUTS.

jroberts500
08-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Well... I missed the second brightner which should have been the first one to notice on the HV box. I think that probably qualifies me as equally nuts. Especially after trying to sound so smart in the last reply.

Jeffhs
08-14-2005, 12:48 AM
I would forgive him the mistake with the brighteners. At least the seller was honest enough :yes: to mention the power supply problem (shorted filters, causing the plates of the rectifier tubes to glow red). In a TV set made in 1948 (57 years ago), I'm not really that surprised the CRT has two brighteners--if it still has the original tube.

Someone will get this TV cheap. The opening bid is $25 and no one has bid on it yet. If this were a prewar set or an RCA CT-100, I would expect a much higher starting bid, but given this set was made shortly after the end of World War II it isn't old enough yet to command a $100+ opener.

I have to wonder, however, what on earth the seller must have been thinking when he listed this thing under telephones. :dunno: :scratch2:

jroberts500
08-14-2005, 05:35 AM
My words about the brightner were intended to be a mildly humorous view of what is clearly an honest mistake. Too bad it is so hard for us humans to accurately percieve what others are trying to tell us.

Jonathan
08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I honestly love the style of the set. It seems to look like a prewar cabinet with postwar electronics and CRT. The power supply chassis on the bottem is also what I like. Looks sweet, and I'd love to get it, and it seems to be by the Orange County Chopper guys, but I have no room, and I really would rather a prewar set anyway. Getting a TT-5 is akin to winning the lottery. It can happen, but rarely ever does. Oh well, one can dream, can't they? :P