View Full Version : Degauss Therm

analogman
07-31-2005, 01:25 AM
Sorry for being a dumb ass, but what's a degauss therm? I just moved and was vacuuming the crud out of the old (ancient) RCA before hooking her up and noticed a gray waffer lying on the PC board. RCA schematic identifies it as RT 4201. #s on part=100-01A also A 1727. I posted here in the recent past about a problem I was having with this old set, got no answers and have just lived with it, push in on hard vertical lines at the edge of the screen/picture.

Please, tell me where to get this "degauss therm" and I'll give it a shot.

Thank you much,
Analogman

merrylander
07-31-2005, 08:05 AM
A therm (thermister) is a fancy resistor that quickly increases its resistance when power is applied. Hooked in series with the degauss coil it allows the coil to dagauss the picture tube then shuts down. A lot of early computer monitors had them in black plastic enclosures.

Rob

analogman
07-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the response. All I have is the schematic glued in the set and the part itself, the #s I gave above. Will this be enough to determine the correct value for the replacement? I will be looking for one at a Fry's, don't know if they are capable of crossing old RCA NOS #s. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Analogman

andy
07-31-2005, 11:20 AM
You can usually just solder the wires back on those RCA thermistors. They fall off all the time because they never use enough solder to make a strong connection. Use a cool soldering iron, or it will crack (around 650 F).

analogman
07-31-2005, 12:54 PM
You can usually just solder the wires back on those RCA thermistors. They fall off all the time because they never use enough solder to make a strong connection. Use a cool soldering iron, or it will crack (around 650 F).

Thank you a million times, I was wondering if that was a possibility, or OK to do. Thank you so much.
Analogman

rca2000
08-01-2005, 03:04 AM
The RCA part # you are looking for is.........207768.

analogman
08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
The RCA part # you are looking for is.........207768.

Thanks Jack.
Analogman