View Full Version : RCA 630TS on ebay

John Folsom
07-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Ebay Item number: 6197284667

http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-Antique-Television-Fancy-RCA-Arch-Tabletop-TV_W0QQitemZ6197284667QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

TVtommy
07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey John, whadda think it would cost to ship that thing post paid to VA?

Jonathan
08-04-2005, 12:37 AM
I've always wanted a 630TS. I have an Air King A1000 and a Dewald BT100 which are both based off the 8TS30 because the both sets I have use perminant magnet ion traps.

I've always said, if I can't have a super sweet 621TS, then I want a 630TS. Out of all the 630TS and 8TS30 clones, I've always thopught the original RCA 630TS looked the best. I personally think it's a beautiful set.

I have begun restoring this Air King A1000. I've fully recapped it, electrolytics, paper/wax, and micamold. I've gotten the HV section working once again but adding new tubes, recapping, and replacing the drifted resistors. Though, while recapping, I broke the 1st video IF amp tube socket. I replaced it with a new one, I turned it on and got smoke, as well as damaging the tube. I obviously wired it wrong, but I've been burned out with this damn set already. It's been about two months since I last worked on it. I guess I lost my motivation because it's not an authentic RCA. I may sell the Air King and the Dewald if I win this auction.

Jonathan

John Folsom
08-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Johathan,

I hope you win the auction. That appears to be a relatively nice specimin, in spite of the nicks and dings. Of course, shipping a '630 is a challenge. You should try to ship the set in 3 boxes, 1 for the chassis, 1 for the cabinet, and one for the CRT. Or better yet, pick it up.

Good luck!

bgadow
08-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Jonathan, I've found that I need to take a lot of time off when working on these. I have a 721ts that I've been messing with for several years now. Once or twice a year I'll take a stab at it, then give up and put it away. One of these times I'm gonna get it working right, though! I think when you spend lots of time working on something like this you can tend to overlook small-and obvious-problems. A cap that I miswired in my CTC-5 took me several years to find despite dozens of hours of working on that set.

Jonathan
08-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies, and thanks John. It turns out I did win this set for a decent price. I wanted the 721TS, but the high bid was probably at $500 or more. I finally got an early set I really wanted. Thanks guys! :)

Jonathan
08-15-2005, 09:26 PM
I finally got the set home today, what a beauty! :) But it needs a great deal of work. The plastic cap the 10BP4 is loose, which bothers me. Fine wires connect the stuff inside the tube to the pins. What is a good way to glue the cap and what glue do I use? I want it to be safe and secure. Also, the cabinet is in good condition. There is a piece of glass covering the screen and bezel. The 630TS's I've seen never had that and am wondering if it's "stock". And it's also the first time I saw an electromagnetic ion trap. Looks like it's going to be more trouble than the perminant magnet ion trap used in the Air King A1000. Some tubes were also loose as well.

The HV section is a different story. One of the tubes was missing. It definally looked like it was in bad shape, just like the one in the Air King A1000. Why are the HV sections in 630TS and it's clones are always missing tubes, bad tubes, broken tubes, etc? I suppose these are the tubes that are replaced most often?

Thanks.

Jonathan

Eric H
08-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Here's your second chance, there's a 721 on eBay right now, listed wrong. http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-TV_W0QQitemZ7342722822QQcategoryZ12QQrdZ1QQcmdZVie wItem

This one has what looks like the correct stand!
$300 and the reserve's not met yet.

The downside is the seller only has 3 feedbacks, all good but it's in Wappingers Falls, New York if that's close to anyone.

The shipping calculator says $9.86 to ship it to Calif :D :lmao:

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks John. It turns out I did win this set for a decent price. I wanted the 721TS, but the high bid was probably at $500 or more. I finally got an early set I really wanted. Thanks guys! :)

Jonathan
08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Thanks! :)

vintagecollect
08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Are 721s really worth that much??? :dunno:

I thought these sets were much more common than a RCA 630.

Similiar to a RCA 621 ts as model number almost the same TV??? Isn't year of 721 1947??? Just wondering------Are these 621s relabeled, modified or rebadged???? I always thought 621 & 721 chassis looked the same, at least according to internet pictures.....
Most B/W set prices are flat and falling, are these rare sets?? Once in a while these sets show up for sale.

:withstpd:

vintagecollect
08-18-2005, 06:57 AM
Great 630 set!! Those truly are attractive sets. You are right!!! Definetely most handsome out of early RCA lineup!!! Have fun Restoring and keep us posted with progress on Beauty!!!

:lmao: