View Full Version : A new CRT!

Eric H
07-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I bought this 14" RCA 14-PD-9030 off eBay a few years ago, got it reasonable and picked it up in person.

The only thing that kept it from running was a 5U4 that had gone to air (this model is transformer powered unlike it's similar siblings), replaced that and the set came to life but the CRT was VERY weak, still it would make a decent picture after running a while.

Well I found a NOS Raytheon tube and it arrived last week. I popped it in this morning and zowie what a difference! :thmbsp:

The Box the tube came in had a date code of 938, there was no zip code so it's probably the 38th week of 1959, which makes it almost exactly the same age as me, the CRT is in better shape however. :D

(anyone know what's at 16 Bleeker St, Gloversville N.Y. That's where the tube was originally sent to.)

This set has not been recapped, it plays pretty much perfect on it's original parts, it starts to verical roll a little after a while but can be adjusted to stop.

There is a minor cosmetic issue with the railing around the front mask, I'll have to find away to reweld the support posts, also the "V" emblem is tweaked a bit but I think it can be fixed.

This set and pretty much every other set of this era seems to have a problem with the plastic yoke cover, they all disintegrate from the heat and age. :sigh:

Got a call in to Moyers but don't hold out much hope, probably have to figure a way to make one.

Big Dave
07-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Something wierd. The yoke cover on my KCS81F (21AP4 CRT) is in perfect shape. Nic pic on the RCA there. I used one from an unknown yoke on mine and it works just fine.

polaraman
07-23-2005, 10:16 PM
I crossed the yoke to Thordarson Y-50 and fly 100.

polaraman

Big Dave
07-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Was that the one you mentioned on your site as being beyond repair?

I have the hot chassis version of that one and, after recapping, the vertical goes non-linear. I suspect the 6AQ5. It's still very viewable. I won't open it up until it is warranted. That set was a bitch to rstore.