View Full Version : ctc 9 BUY IT NOW $350.00

polaraman
07-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Northern California!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6194450319&category=3638&rd=1

polaraman

Sandy G
07-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Yeah, Kall-ee-For-knee-uhh !! A lot of good it does me here in East Bumblefunck...<grin>-Sandy G.

polaraman
07-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Actually it was Northern Georgia!

Sold to Polaraman :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Finally an early one comes my way!!!!!

polaraman

Steve D.
07-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Congratulations Polaraman.

Lilburn a scant 100+ miles from Columbus. Have a pleasant drive collecting that beautiful CTC-9. I'll bet they have some original paper work. Ask about it.

-Steve D.

Telecolor 3007
07-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Another beauty that I can't get... :worried:

Tony V
07-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Cant wait to hear the details! Keep us posted Polaraman
-Tony

Dave A
07-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Here is the "Caulfield" version of the same set. It just keeps running and running.

Dave A

bgadow
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Polara, Dave, those are both some real handsome sets. Something to be proud of.

polaraman
07-20-2005, 02:22 PM
I made arrangements to get the set tomorrow night. Can't wait till i get it home. I will be busy this weekend with it.

polaraman

polaraman
07-21-2005, 11:33 PM
I just got home with the CTC 9. It is in MINT shape! The only scratches on it are around the controls. It still has a 21CYP22 CRT. I will be testing it tomorrow. If it is bad I will just send it out to be rebuilt. A little melted wax on the flyback. I obtained a Thordarson replacement if I should need it. There were three repair tags in the set. The last one was dated in 1980. I will post pics of the chassis. Some of the caps have been replaced with orange drops. I could only see two black beauties left. Have to order the lytics tomorrow.

polaraman

ceebee23
07-22-2005, 02:29 AM
oh my I am soooooooooo envious ...a really beautiful set ...congrats...and good luck giving this old girl the love and care she deserves!!

blue_lateral
07-22-2005, 02:43 AM
Gorgeous set, Polaraman. :thmbsp:

polaraman
07-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I gradually woke up the CRT. I did not want to run it at the 6.3 volts right off. Well it is GREEN on all three guns. :banana: :banana: :banana: Well that is one hurdle that we had to clear. I ordered the new lytics. Will have to wait for them to come in. This Tv is on the front burner for me.

polaraman

frenchy
07-22-2005, 10:05 PM
chassis looks just like my ctc-10 - minus a lot more dust and all the remote control rigamarole!...Frenchy

polaraman
07-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Frenchy,

It looks a lot like my CTC 11 also.

Below is what I found on the CRT. Is this kosher or should I be doing something else?

The cap on the 3A3 was corroded fast to the tube. I will have to replace the cap. Half way through testing the tubes and only found a bad 12BY7 so far. The 6GH8's are next. :worried:

polaraman

Eric H
07-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Frenchy,

Below is what I found on the CRT. Is this kosher or should I be doing something else?

polaraman

That's Kosher on the 21CYP with the dual anode. Someones replaced the resistor with a modern one though, don't think it should matter unless it's the wrong value.

Wish I had taken a pic of mine when it was apart, I believe it was a carbon comp.

polaraman
07-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Somebody rigged this fuse. I would suppose they did not have a 250V 3/4 amp pigtail replacement. The glass on the old fuse was broken. I will fix it the right way before powering up the set.

I went to Rat Shak and got a fuse holder and some 1 amp 250V fuses. Figured that the fuse holder will make future fuse replacements easier. Should the additional 1/4 AMP make a difference?

More later I am going to the the car races!

polaraman

polaraman
07-23-2005, 04:48 PM
I updated the fuse situation above.

polaraman

polaraman
07-24-2005, 12:36 AM
This is SAMS 459-1 if anybody wants to follow along. I may also need some help along the way.

Only 2 black beauty caps were left in the set. C54 was on the Video IF printed board. The other was C138 and it is on the 120v AC line coming into the set.

I found some burned wires coming off the green control on the back of the chassis. The wires connect to the control, R175 and a terminal strip. I will have to trim the wires to get back to some good copper. The resistor tested good. I just hope the control is good. The wire was actually cracked right at the spot R175 was laying on it. I am glad I found it. It could have drove me nuts later. I posted a pic of the situation.

polaraman

Chad Hauris
07-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Get rid of any old caps on the ac line terminals, the cap is usually on the cheater cord terminals before the fuse and if the cap shorts you will not have the set's fuse to limit the current. also if the cap goes to the chassis and it shorts you will have a hot chassis and not know it.
I have seen these burned wires too in ctc-16's...one thing to do may be to replace the wire, dress the lead away from the heat producing resistor lead and also put some heat shrink tubing over the wire, this will act as higher temperature insulation and help protect the wire from heat being generated in the region.
I was able to find 3/4 amp fuses at rat shack at one time...however they may not have them anymore. WHat circuit is that in...you may only have 300 ma of normal current and a 1/2 amp fuse may afford quicker protection and still withstand the normal current in circuit.

polaraman
07-24-2005, 01:28 AM
The fuse in question is M6. It is connected to pin 1 6CG7(V11) Horizontal AFC, Horizontal Wave Form(L35), and vertical centering. I know rat Shack had 1/2 AMP fuses. I may get some tomorrow. I will call the electronics store to see if they have any 3/4 amp on Monday.

Thanks for the input on the wires. I think I will wrap them for future insurance.

polaraman

bgadow
07-31-2005, 11:26 PM
I was leafing through the Radio Daze catalog yesterday & they carry 3/4 amp fuses, pkg of 5 for a dollar & something.

polaraman
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM
YEEE HAWWWWWW! Well folks this is what I got so far. Have to find the vertical adjustment and set up the color. I think we have an operational set here!! :banana: :banana: :banana: I do not have cable in the other living room. I would hook it to cable and get a screen shot. Color bars will have to do for right now.

polaraman

vintagecollect
08-13-2005, 01:26 AM
What was needed to get TV going Polarman?? Nice set!!!!! Definetely one of RCA's better designs, supposed to be RCA's first truly reliable TV. Easier to maintain than 15" sets as crts available also.

:D

polaraman
08-16-2005, 03:23 AM
I worked on the set some more today. Got the vertical adjusted and the picture now fills the screen. I hooked up an antenna for this next picture. It has a lot of snow. I do not have enough cable coax to run across the house to this TV. That will be a project when I get back from vacation. I also do not have enough room to back away to get a good picture. I still have a lot of adjustments to do to the CTC 9. I plan on watching NFL football on this set. Can't wait til the season starts! :D The set is alive!

polaraman

bgadow
08-16-2005, 08:45 AM
While I'm not a sports fan, these sets were just made for watching football! All that purty green!