View Full Version : CT-100 on eBay!

Eric H
07-12-2005, 11:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789079767&category=73374&rd=1

vintagecollect
07-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Wow, what a rare opportunity to own a CT-100 ready to watch and well taken care of!! Great photo shows fully operational condition and nice collection of related historical material. Well worth the price considering total investment needed to bring basket case version back to life. Shame I live too far....

yagosaga
07-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Heh heh. The TV isn't "ready to watch." While the "photo shows fully operational condition," it isn't. The picture of it on is from 1992. If you read carefully, you'll see that the set has problems, although they may be totally correctable. The guy placed his CT-100 up for sale over a year ago (and the text in his auction is exactly the same from the last time). Bidding went to over $4000. Then I don't remember what happened. Either he had an auction reserve that was never met or he just pulled the auction. There doesn't appear a reserve this time, so maybe he's now prepared to let the thing go for at the least his starting bid, which has been met. I suspect the 15GP22 may have done what they are prone to do......
The set was on ebay from Sep-24-04 thru Oct-04-04, item number 5722503800. It was gone (or not?) for US $2,800.00 (Reserve not met). The text is not exactly the same. Is is declared as in working condition, but with two exceptions: the hue control is frozen in position and the color killer does not open the chroma channel. If one bids on it, one will expect a working color set with a black and white picture. There is no indication that the 15GP22 was aired.

yagosaga
07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
If that were the case, the guy could have easily posted a very recent picture of the set in operation. Instead what we have is a 12 year old picture, displaying an image that the text admits isn't the true current state.
I have already asked him before two hours for a recent picture of the working set. (Don't worry, I don't have the money to bid on it.)

pustelniakr
07-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Man! Don't that just purdy?

Appears to be some SERIOUS unobtainium in that there picture box, otherwise, I might just be tempted. :D

Rich P

John Folsom
07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I recently had a 15" color set shipped from New Hampshire to Florida for $350, residence to residence. They pick it up and put it on a pallet. So I expect you could ship this CT100 for much less than the sellers estimate. The agent I used is Florida Moving Systems, http://www.flmove.com/ (321) 259 4330 , ask for Mike Stadt, and he can give quote you a price. They can set up a move for any from/to destination in teh USA. And tell Mike I said "hi".

Good luck, hope one of you Audiokarmites gets the set. Everyone should have a CT100!

Sandy G
07-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd LOVE to have it, but I expect it'll go for close to $4K, & that's about $3.5K more than my mommy will let me spend...Waaaaaaahhh..-Sandy G.

blue_lateral
07-13-2005, 04:02 PM
I think so too, I remember reading it in some old RCA book. I can't seem to find it now.

Perhaps one of the 15g experts can tell us if this is really true?

jc

pustelniakr
07-13-2005, 05:31 PM
When you ship a CT-100, doesn't the CRT need to be removed? I thought I read somewhere that even when they were new, the CRT was shipped separate from the rest, and final assembly took place at the store. Shipping the thing with the CRT installed seems rather risky.

With all that unobtainium in there, you could ship that CRT in a box filled with wadded dollar bills for packing material, and still come out ahead :)

Rich P

pustelniakr
07-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Are you suggesting that the auction is a hoax, and the guy won't deliver the goods?

Not at all. If it works you are way ahead. If it doesn't, well...

Critical repair parts being unobtainable, expense to ship such critical parts should not be questioned. Spend the money necessary to have the unit, and any parts needed to be shipped separately, survive being drop-kicked out of the plane.

This puppy is going to command a lot of green. I sure would want lots of info and recent pics (esp. showing live action), before I would bid. It is a beauty, but I would want more than a beautiful paperweight for all that green.

Rich P

Dave A
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
RCA varied the delivery throughout the short life of the CT-100. Some were delivered in three parts. Cabinet/chassis/CRT. Some came complete.

Dave A

Tim
07-13-2005, 10:03 PM
As Dave mentioned, the installation Instructions I have mention that the Yoke, Purity Coil and Kinescope mounting components were shipped in a carton in the bottom of the cabinet. The CRT was matched to the set and shipped in a separate carton. Reference marks on the yoke and neck assisted the installer in positioning those components correctly.

Steve D.
07-13-2005, 11:13 PM
I've known the seller of this CT-100, Craig, for many years. He is a very up front guy.

-Steve D.

Jonathan
07-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Wow, that set is a beauty.... only if I had the money....

yagosaga
07-14-2005, 01:43 AM
Why should the guy send you recent pictures of the set if you don't have any intention on bidding?
I have asked him for permission to put the photo on AK and he gave it.The set was swichted on yesterday at appr. 7 o'clock p.m. (European time). Craig wrote:
Now that there are bids, eBay does not allow revising/adding
photos. But I did just turn on the set (for the first time in a year)
and it is working - after warm-up of a minute or two, with good
sound and picture, as you can see, there is some color on some
channels; also some picture noise (lines thru picture) on some
channels, which can be due to a dirty tuner (has not been
cleaned since I have owned it) or maybe one of the vacuum
tubes. By the way, I had hooked up my cable TV line to the set
and perhaps it would be better with a regular antenna like in the
good old days! Anyway it is working,...

domfjbrown
07-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Whoever wins this should put that vacu-seal stuff on the CRT immediately then, I guess :)

I just wish the UK had more interesting "old-skool" colour sets - 1967 Baird tellies don't look half as nice as a CT100 or CTC4...

Mind you, I'd love to see a mirror-in-lid colour set - shame one never existed!

CincinnatiBoy
07-14-2005, 04:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789079767&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

On Jul-14-05 at 05:52:50 PDT, seller added the following information:
Forgot to mention: original owner who restored was a pro who supplied the Smithsonian Institution with their CT-100. He told me that long ago (way before I bought) he treated the picture tube with something called vacu-seal which I believe prevents corrosion which could lead to loss of vacuum seal, so the 15GP22 has been well protected. Also, I turned the set on yesterday (6-13-05) and both picture and sound work. I took four screen shots and will email them to anyone who wants to see (click the ask seller a question link to email me).

domfjbrown
07-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Sweet! Well that solves that one then - excellent :)

mkerdman
07-19-2005, 04:30 PM
At $3,150 in the condition it’s in, along with the extras it comes with, and, knowing I have Steve Kissinger, TV Restorer Extraordinaire, nearby here in CA whose specialty is early color sets to service it, I feel pretty comfortable he’ll be able to get and keep it going in full “Living Color” for a good long time to come and I’ll be very happy indeed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789079767&category=73374&rd=1

Murray Kerdman

mkerdman
07-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Gee, I hope I didn't come off as gloating???

OK, maybe a little over-enthusiastic, but, at least I didn't put in any dancing smileys.

Steve McVoy at ETF has (2) CT-100's and without a doubt the best real world, hands-on, fully restored and WORKING collection of TV's anywhere.

If anybody has any CT-100 transportation suggestions (with contact numbers and email addresses) from Cincinnati to Los Angeles, I'd love to hear them.

Murray Kerdman
mkerdman@earthlink.net

polaraman
07-19-2005, 06:44 PM
I would pack the 15GP22 in a separate carton. Maybe fly and get that part yourself.

polaraman

mkerdman
07-19-2005, 07:01 PM
The seller does want to remove the CRT from the set.

He makes a good point that it was shipped to him in 1991 across 2,000+ miles in a train with the CRT mounted and secured in place with a special support at the rear.

Once you have the CRT in your hands, now how are you going to pack and ship it?

Unlike a small 7-10 inch tube, packing the CT-100's CRT in the TV is reasonable.

I'll probably have it put in/on a crate / pallet and trucked by one carrier or another.

Murray Kerdman

mkerdman
07-19-2005, 08:26 PM
My biggest fear is that even if the CRT survives the transport to California, it may lose its vacuum from a mechanical shock in shipment. Not sure if such a loss is a catastrophic event or it begins slowly. The seller mentions that a former owner "treated the picture tube with something called vacu-seal..." Don't take that statement as biblical, and have the tube examined once it's removed. Perhaps consult with your friend Steve Kissinger on the proper preparation and shipment of this treasure. In fact, since you were willing to spend the money to get the set, you may want to fly him out to Cincinnati to handle everything. Have an expert take care of this.

Bob

Something to think about to be sure.

I had a Pre-War set sent cross country in truck, plastic, bubble and blanket wrapped placed on a dolly and tied off to one spot in teh truck the entire way with the CRT in place without a problem.

I would not want this to be my first hard lesson though.

Murray Kerdman

Sandy G
07-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Murray- Congrats on yr "new" prize !! I'm sure a lot of us here will kinda be on "pins 'n' needles" til you get it safely home. Keeps us informed...Good Luck...-Sandy G.

vintagecollect
07-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Take time & do careful research for best shipping option for CRT as most of TV's value tied to this one part. Good luck and keep us posted with pics!!!

:)

yagosaga
07-20-2005, 01:48 AM
I have Steve Kissinger, TV Restorer Extraordinaire, nearby here in CA whose specialty is early color sets to service it, I feel pretty comfortable he’ll be able to get and keep it going in full “Living Color” for a good long time to come
Did you asked Steve before bidding on the set that he must fix it and did he agree?

frenchy
07-20-2005, 05:19 AM
I recently saw another collector's collection and he had a CT-100 in a back room and I didn't know he had one and wow, what a shock, never saw one before, really neat looking. I always refer to them as the first real 'flat screen' tv!
Hope you get yours in good shape and is working...Frenchy

mkerdman
07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Did you asked Steve before bidding on the set that he must fix it and did he agree?

Yes. LOL

Murray Kerdman

yagosaga
07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
LOL
Wer zuletzt lacht, lacht am besten.

bolly
07-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Wer zuletzt lacht, lacht am besten.

:lmao:

mkerdman
07-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Besides Craters and Freighters, does anyone have any suggestions, based on good prior experience, as to any other "fine furniture and collectibles" trucking services to transport the CT-100 from Cincinnati to Los Angeles?

Murray Kerdman

mkerdman
07-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey that's an idea- U-Haul Road Trip!

Nah.

Murray Kerdman

Steve McVoy
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I've used Eric's Shipping Service several times with excellent results:

www.machinemover.com

mkerdman
07-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I've used Eric's Shipping Service several times with excellent results:

www.machinemover.com

So have I Steve.

I was just looking for any alternatives as Eric's schedule can vary quite a bit, extending the time from pick-up to delivery considerably.

Murray Kerdman

mkerdman
07-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Does anyone have some old documentation that states the net (of packaging) weight of the RCA CT-100?

Thanks in advance!

Murray Kerdman

Steve D.
07-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Murray,

The RCA CT-100 weights 175 lbs. Including the 15GP22 picture tube.

-Steve D.

mkerdman
07-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Murray,

The RCA CT-100 weights 175 lbs. Including the 15GP22 picture tube.

-Steve D.

Thanks Steve!

Murray Kerdman

yagosaga
07-21-2005, 03:41 AM
I was just looking for any alternatives
The best alternative is to fetch the set in Cincinnati by yourself and bring it to CA. Don't forget to remove the 15GP22 and crate it carefully. All other alternatives are russian roulette. You can let shipping any other set but not the ct-100.

avalon1308
07-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Something strange is happening to me. I had been bidding on the CT-100 and of course did not get it.

I've been offered a second chance to buy the set from Ebay.Looks like the original buyer does not want it.
I am extremely surprised, and have lots of doubts about this transaction. I am of course willing to buy but!!!.

Would like to have advise from you people. I am not really used to ebay and do not know what to do. This is very very strange. Is this new offer authentic.
Thanks for any info.

Steve McVoy
07-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I think this is a scam, and the offer doesn't come from the seller. As you can see, you were way down the list of bidders. I was the underbidder, and haven't been offered the set. If the offer was real, the seller would have contacted the underbidder first, since my bid was only a few dollars below the winner.

Also, I know the buyer and he is very serious, and is making arrangements for shipping the set now.

avalon1308
07-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Right, I think you're right, I am asked to make payement via Western union..... not via paypal to a guy in Chicago.
This guy is ready to ship tv to me in Europe!!!.
Any kind of protection against that?.

I surely wanted to get the set but was not in my price range and I know that lots of people wanna keep the set in US.

I can tell you, this would have been the best item of my rather big collection.
I'll keep on dreaming.

mkerdman
07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I am the buyer and indeed will pay for and pick-up the CT-100.

This a common form of the “The Ebay “Second Chance Offer” scam.

SEE Ebay's Text:

"Marketplace Safety Tip

If this message is an offer to sell an item without winning it on the eBay Web site (including Second Chance Offers sent through My Messages) please do not respond to the sender. These "outside of eBay" transactions are unsafe and not covered by eBay purchase protection programs.

Never pay for your eBay item through instant wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. These payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know."

Be carefull out there!

Murray Kerdman

yagosaga
07-21-2005, 05:16 PM
... my rather big collection.
What's your "big collection"? Can you give us an impression or even some pictures?

Carmine
07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
What's your "big collection"? Can you give us an impression or even some pictures?

Yes, Yes! Please, Please! We'd love to see your old I-talian TVees!!

And don't worry about "us" Americans getting upset that it goes to Europe... Nobody's gonna $pend that kinda bread to destroy it! I know some car collectors who get uptight about this, they're idiots. I love seeing pictures of old musclecars parked in front of ancient castles and such.

Last time I was in Hann Munden, this was the best pic I could find :worried: .... A car that we American's refer to as "Dustbuster-on-wheels". :lmao:

Tim
07-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Congratulations on your purchase!

I drove 3000 miles round trip in my minivan to pick up my CT-100. I just did not feel comfortable letting others be responsible to handle it as it should be handled.

I left the CRT in place but removed the yoke. I felt it was better protected snuggled tightly in the set. It had made other long trips during its life configured that way and I figured one more would not hurt.

My wife went with me and we made an adventure out of the trip. We visited relatives and a couple of AK members as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

avalon1308
07-22-2005, 04:54 AM
OK,

Keep receiving second chance offer from ebay. WHY ME!!
I don't know how we can stop that.

Back to my collection.

I live in Italy but moved here not too long ago.
I am originally from Belgium and most of my collection (roughly 130 sets) is there.
I only have a few samples here with photos. I will add more photos when back in BE (end of august).

Most of the sets on pictures are belgian sets (PHILIPS). These sets all came with the french 819 lines positif modulation (L standard), belgian 819 lines positif modulation and reduced BW from 11 mhz to roughly 6mhz (B). Belgian 625 lines positive modulation (B) and "CCIR" or what will be, 625 lines negative modulation (E). Lots of different sound mods AM, FM and subcarriers all over the place, before and after video mod.
A few sets from France, some in un-opened original box from 1955 "Thompson Ducretet" with garantee.
One set 441 lines pre 1953. The french went from 441 lines to 819 lines and changed their transmitter after the Eifel tower cought fire I think in 53 or 54.
The 819 was abandoned in 1973 when the ORTF1 swithed to SECAM color 625 (L). Most of Europe was in PAL.

Some sets from Bulgaria and Russia.(Still crated from there, no time to deal with)
Some are UK sets 405 lines.(2 pics).
In the 50's and 60's it was common to be requested to manually change standards from one program to another.
" pour le programme suivant voulez-vous SVP passer en 819 lignes".
Meaning for the next program could you please switch to 819 lines. No remote, had to get up and manually change your set. In the 60's they all became automatic. The change would happen with clicking sounds in the set.

I have a few color sets from the 60's (multi-standards PAL-SECAM, no NTSC).
but no pics here. Still not really collectibles.

I also collect juke-boxes ( 10 of them) and bingo machines (45 in working order for a total of 60).
AK only let me put 5 pics.

Dom

avalon1308
07-22-2005, 08:41 AM
OK,

Keep receiving second chance offer from ebay. WHY ME!!
I don't know how we can stop that.

Back to my collection.

I live in Italy but moved here not too long ago.
I am originally from Belgium and most of my collection (roughly 130 sets) is there.
I only have a few samples here with photos. I will add more photos when back in BE (end of august).

Most of the sets on pictures are belgian sets (PHILIPS). These sets all came with the french 819 lines positif modulation (L standard), belgian 819 lines positif modulation and reduced BW from 11 mhz to roughly 6mhz (B). Belgian 625 lines positive modulation (B) and "CCIR" or what will be, 625 lines negative modulation (E). Lots of different sound mods AM, FM and subcarriers all over the place, before and after video mod.
A few sets from France, some in un-opened original box from 1955 "Thompson Ducretet" with garantee.
One set 441 lines pre 1953. The french went from 441 lines to 819 lines and changed their transmitter after the Eifel tower cought fire I think in 53 or 54.
The 819 was abandoned in 1973 when the ORTF1 swithed to SECAM color 625 (L). Most of Europe was in PAL.

Some sets from Bulgaria and Russia.(Still crated from there, no time to deal with)
Some are UK sets 405 lines.(2 pics).
In the 50's and 60's it was common to be requested to manually change standards from one program to another.
" pour le programme suivant voulez-vous SVP passer en 819 lignes".
Meaning for the next program could you please switch to 819 lines. No remote, had to get up and manually change your set. In the 60's they all became automatic. The change would happen with clicking sounds in the set.

I have a few color sets from the 60's (multi-standards PAL-SECAM, no NTSC).
but no pics here. Still not really collectibles.

I also collect juke-boxes ( 10 of them) and bingo machines (45 in working order for a total of 60).
AK only let me put 5 pics.

Dom
Sorry, Ak would not take my pics, too big in size
will work on them
D+

Chad Hauris
07-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Try uploading the photos to the "Photo Gallery" section, not to the discussion thread...there should be no limits on file size upload to gallery.

avalon1308
07-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Some pics now although they should be in the B&W section.
More later.
D+

bgadow
07-22-2005, 11:35 AM
"No remote, had to get up and manually change your set. In the 60's they all became automatic. The change would happen with clicking sounds in the set."

Now, that is something neat! I had never heard of these before.

Very nice collection...and welcome to AK! As for those CT-100 offers, I would delete them as fast as you get them. They will stop sooner or later!

Sandy G
07-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah, pal, welcome to AK ! you're amongst friends here-quite a few TV nuts call this place home. Glad you got the CT-100-be good to it ! <grin>-Sandy G.

vintagecollect
08-01-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm glad a private person won TV. Why does museum want another CT-100 when already has largest collection of early color tvs ?????

Steve McVoy
08-01-2005, 04:03 AM
We bid on the CT-100 because it appears to be in better condition than the one in our collection. If we had won it, we would have put the present set in our collection up for sale, so that another collector could have a fully restored set. Our goal is to have only one of each type of set.

old_tv_nut
08-01-2005, 08:44 PM
vintagecollect,

When something is scarce, I think it's good for it to go where it will not only be restored, but will be available for everone to see. I would protest only if it was going to some place where it wouldn't be kept operable oir would be hidden forever.

I hope you will change your mind when you think about it and realize that if it had gone to Steve it would be more accessible than almost any other place.

That said , I think private collecting is OK and great fun - but I think you must admit that collecting things at an incorporated museum that is dedicated to making everything operable has simultaneously allowed for Steve to be close to the things he likes and for us all to share them, either in person or through the web site. Many private collectors may not be in a position to do this.

vintagecollect
08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I think it's great museum has several version of 15" sets for everyone to see for display, I'm just saying wether a museum or collector, anyone hoarding unusual amount of TVs will artificially inflate prices. I recently saw two RCA 621 TVs for sale even though B/W. They both went for a resonable price as more than one was available at same time.

:scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2:

Eric H
08-06-2005, 10:39 PM
I guess, they might have come from a B&W model?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-RCA-Victor-Control-Knobs-TV-Television-Retro_W0QQitemZ6199357724QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Damn, I hope they didn't make a Bar out of the rest???

Pete Deksnis
08-07-2005, 01:27 AM
The jury is still out, but they look enough like the real thing for an opening bid.

A true CT-100 channel selector knob has four holes for the dial lamp to shine through, and we'll need to see a picture of the pencil box open to check for hue and color.

Steve K
10-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Murray's CT-100 was delivered to my house about two weeks ago. After the long trip from Ohio it still worked, but as stated in the eBay listing, it did not have color. Among other things it had a shorted hue control trimmer cap and I was able to find a close replacement for it from Ocean State Electronics. It took a bit of doing but I got it installed. I don't think that RCA figured that one of these would ever need to be removed. The color now works. The set however is now being fully recapped. It still had all the original electrolytics in it along with most of the paper caps. All the major parts including the vertical convergence transformer seem good (knock on wood). It is nice to work on an RCA where the horizontal actually runs at the right frequency!

I will post pictures after I get it recapped.

Steve

mkerdman
10-06-2005, 11:49 PM
I am dusting off some floor space for this baby!

Does anyone have a clean video tape or PC file of the various NBC peacock A/V opening animations?

Murray Kerdman

polaraman
10-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I have plenty of room here. I can save you the trouble! :D

Nice set! We are all waiting to see pictures of it working. :smoke:

polaraman

yagosaga
10-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Does anyone have a clean video tape or PC file of the various NBC peacock A/V opening animations?
See
http://www.ev1.pair.com/colorTV/colorTVlogos.html

mkerdman
10-07-2005, 09:52 AM
See
http://www.ev1.pair.com/colorTV/colorTVlogos.html

Thanks!

But, I need a copy that can be played on a DVD/VHS over a 15" CT-100 and these small QucikTime/Real files become highly pixilated when maximized to that size.

Murray Kerdman

yagosaga
10-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Yep, that's what we all want.
The 1960s NBC Peacock color intro is on my Ampex recording of the Bell telephone hour in full length and in NTSC.

yagosaga
10-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I thought you also might have a vertical linearity problem on the CTC-5, as the round Bell Telephone and dial appears more egg-shaped than circular.
At first I thought too there is a vertical / horizontal linearity problem on the CTC-5. But it wasn't the CTC-5, it is on the video recording. Is is a linearity problem on the RCA TK-41 adjustment. There are some Ampex-tape caused line error bars in the whole picture too which are only visible on the tv screen.

Joel Cairo
10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
If you don't mind the fact that the audio will be wrong, the video of the diamond-pointed peacock is available on the "Clarabell Speaks" Howdy Doody DVD that was released about 4 years ago.

-Kevin

Pete Deksnis
10-08-2005, 05:22 PM
...the Mary Martin "Peter Pan" DVD which *may* have the 1950's animated peacock at the beginning. With the VHS version it was removed.
Back in the late '80 when this show was rebroadcast on NBC, I recorded it on VHS and have recently tried to recover the peacock with marginal results, although it's better than nothing. Hopefully, the DVD version turns out to be better quality. Otherwise, if there's nothing better I can recapture it and copy it to a DVD. BTW, the bird on the left is from a 1968 Laugh-in on DVD via CT-100 circuits :)

Steve Hoffman
10-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Sorry, guys; I haven't had a chance to get the PETER PAN DVD so I have no idea if what you want is on there.... :no:

mkerdman
10-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Sorry, guys; I haven't had a chance to get the PETER PAN DVD so I have no idea if what you want is on there.... :no:

I just bought the Peter Pan 1960 DVD with Mary Martin
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JZHL/qid=1128831695/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5633245-9028158?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846 which says "Mastered from the live 1960 broadcast on NBC" so well see if the NBC opening/closing is on there.

Trivia about Peter Pan:
During its Broadway run in 1954, arrangements were made to present the Mary Martin "Peter Pan" on television. After a limited run onstage, it was televised live in 1955 with the entire original cast. It created a sensation, becoming one of the highest-rated shows up to that time, and spawning a series of televised musical children's stories, none as successful as this one. It was re-staged live with the same cast only a few months later. In 1960 it was finally videotaped, with virtually the same cast (except for the children) and this time at its full-length. It is one of the first instances in which a Broadway stage production has been duplicated exactly for television.
Mary Martin and Cyril Ritchard recreate their Tony Award winning performances in this production.

Murray Kerdman

Steve D.
10-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Murray,

I hate to be a mood killer here, and have posted this info before. I have the VHS version of the 1960 Peter Pan telecast. It was also released by Goodtimes Video. It also runs 100 min. I have to believe that Goodtimes just transfered that print to DVD. The cover art on the case is the same, except it says "30th Anniversary Collectors Edition" along the bottom.
I'd be interested to see if the Peacock opening was added to this DVD.

-Steve D.

mkerdman
10-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Murray,

I hate to be a mood killer here, and have posted this info before. I have the VHS version of the 1960 Peter Pan telecast. It was also released by Goodtimes Video. It also runs 100 min. I have to believe that Goodtimes just transfered that print to DVD. The cover art on the case is the same, except it says "30th Anniversary Collectors Edition" along the bottom.
I'd be interested to see if the Peacock opening was added to this DVD.

-Steve D.

Steve

Well, if the NBC opening is not on the DVD (release over a year after the VHS tape), I'll still have a nice piece of vinatge color TV demo material with a better-than-VHS transfer quality.

DVD Details:
Encoding: All Regions
Format: Color
Aspect Ratio(s): 1.33:1
Audio Encoding: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Rated: NR
Studio: Goodtimes Home Video
DVD Release Date: October 26, 1999
Run Time: 100
Available subtitles: Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)
Mastered from the live 1960 broadcast on NBC

VHS Details:

Format: Color, Closed-captioned, NTSC
Rated:
Studio: Goodtimes Home Video
Video Release Date: May 5, 1998
VHS Features:
NTSC format (US and Canada only. This VHS will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about VHS formats.)
Color, Closed-captioned, NTSC

Murray Kerdman