View Full Version : GE Tv on Ebay

polaraman
07-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Man! Check out the sound system on this set!!!! :rockon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6191339685

polaraman

wa2ise
07-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Looks like a portable or table model that they stuck into a cabinet. And added the pair of big speakers on it, and probably deleted the speaker that would normally have been mounted below the tuner.

Celt
07-05-2005, 03:49 PM
No, it's correct. GE used those huge oval speakers on quite a few sets. One of the few companies that gave a damn about TV audio.

Chad Hauris
07-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I have seen other small consoles that used the same metal backs as the table version as an original factory setup so that is why it may look like a table model in cabinet.

The 50's GE's seem to have the best sound as far as regular console models...much better treble response than most tube sets. Although, even this model with 2 big speakers probably uses a single 6AQ5 audio output tube, so there's not a lot of "oomph" for undistorted audio at high volume levels.
It's really rare to see any tube type TV with higher-powered audio...the most power is usually from Zeniths using 6BQ5. I have one Magnavox set that has a 12" speaker and push pull 6V6's but haven't seen any others.

Randy Bassham
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
When I was a Kid back in the 50's we had a 24" Hoffman that had push-pull 6V6's and a pair of 10 inch speakers, it had a tone control panel in the center just under the picture tube that had separate bass and treble controls, we used that set up into the 60's till the CRT gave out and Dad junked it. I really liked to turn up the volume on the Petticoat Junction theme song.....

peverett
07-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I have a GE with one of those huge speakers. It needs a back like the one in the pictures, so please let me know if you have one.

I have a RCA portable TV from 1961(portable, yet a transformer set) that uses a 6BQ5 to drive a 5X7 speaker. This set is advertized as their "Premium" portable for that year.

Eric H
07-06-2005, 02:19 AM
I'll bet those are Co-Axial speakers, I've seen others GE's using them but only one at a time!
The guts are probably the same or very close to the 21" GE Tabletop I've been looking for for ages, the back is the same.

I have a 17 incher with the same back but I'm guessing it's smaller all around.

RetroHacker
07-06-2005, 05:44 AM
The famous GE 9x21" speaker! They used them in a couple sets, but normally only one of them, on the bottom. I have one such set. They left the back open in the speaker compartment so that you could show all your friends - "Wow! Look at that speaker!", - "Yeah, it's a 9x21 - the sound is as wide as the screen."

Interesting thing about those speakers, they have the exact same mounting holes as the 8 by 12. The 8x12 is also listed as an alternate part in the Sam's. GE used them for a while, then switched to the 9x21. They have pretty good sound, with the coaxially mounted tweeter. They're just weird looking. :)

That's what television these days is missing! Wide sound.

-Ian

robert1
07-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I have seen other small consoles that used the same metal backs as the table version as an original factory setup so that is why it may look like a table model in cabinet.

The 50's GE's seem to have the best sound as far as regular console models...much better treble response than most tube sets. Although, even this model with 2 big speakers probably uses a single 6AQ5 audio output tube, so there's not a lot of "oomph" for undistorted audio at high volume levels.
It's really rare to see any tube type TV with higher-powered audio...the most power is usually from Zeniths using 6BQ5. I have one Magnavox set that has a 12" speaker and push pull 6V6's but haven't seen any others.

those G.E. sets used a 6CU5 or 6CA5 audio output tube.

i once owned a zenith combo TV / Hi Fi that used four 6V6's on it's amp & both the tv & stereo used the amp.

my setchel-carlson roundie uses a pair of 6GK6 audio output tubes. the 6GK6 ratings was equivelent to 6BQ5

mbates14
07-19-2005, 10:15 PM
That silvertone that I had used a single ended 6v6 with 3 speakers on the bottom.

When I moved, I left it behind. :sigh:

Hated to see that go. couldnt find a coil to replace the one I broke, and an arc popped from the defl yoke, and the tube aired.