View Full Version : Another RCA roundie on ebay

drh4683
07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Im sure its a CTC-11. Remote set too! Someone go after it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3638&item=6190940274&rd=1

Eric H
07-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Hmm, it's in Los Angeles too... :scratch2:
No, No, I just don't have any room for it :no:
But it's a remote set! :yes:
No, still don't have room... :no:
Have to keep an eye on it just in case I change my mind.... :D

jstout66
07-01-2005, 06:35 PM
dude, that is one SWEET set. I was kinda hoping with the way the roundies have been popping up, it would be in the Omaha area like the last 2.

Eric H
07-01-2005, 11:33 PM
I couldn't resist, I bid on it!

frenchy
07-02-2005, 12:20 AM
top don't look to hot but ....I'm a-biddin'!

Steve D.
07-02-2005, 12:56 AM
I like those old remote sets. Very satisfying to push the remote buttons and hear that mechanical clunk. I'm here in L.A but absolutley no room for that great console. Good luck to all the So. Cal. AK bidders. No prop house bidders PLEASE!

-Steve D.

captainmoody
07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Congrats on winning the set Frenchy! Looks like some bloke from the U.K. was bidding against you on it, glad it's staying here though! Let us know how you do with it.

Steve D.
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey Frenchy,

Good goin. Nice to keep that set here in So. Cal. And, I guess you're going to drive in and pick it up.

-Steve D.

frenchy
07-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey Frenchy,

Good goin. Nice to keep that set here in So. Cal. And, I guess you're going to drive in and pick it up.

-Steve D.

Bingo! Then I gotta check out another dude's ctc-11 for sale out here too this weekend! Will double my color roundie collection in two days, whew!
hmm maybe I can put my bed in a tent in the backyard so I have a place to put all these sets.....

frenchy
07-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Hey guess what, the set is in a house that was in escrow and now the seller told me the buyer has locked up the house and he can't get his crap out of the house including the tv and says he has to cancel the sale. Is this b.s. or what??? The escrow and 'had to be out in a hurry' story was in the auction itself so I sort of believe it, I guess. Any suggestions? What a screwjob....

frenchy
07-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I begged her to try to figure out a way to get the set so she said she is still working on talking to the construction company again to try to work something out, I guess insurance concerns or something kept them from letting her back in. Or maybe will end up getting contact number of them from her and work something out. I told her it would be a shame to have this neat set just end up trashed.

andy
07-08-2005, 01:37 PM
---

wa2ise
07-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Does seem strange. Most home buyers *want* you to clean all your crap out of the house when you sell it. You could get sued if you didn't remove your crap.

frenchy
07-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Will let you know how it works out.... this may take a while : ()

frenchy
07-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey the buyer was able to get the house open for me today to get the set, yayyy!
Now I will be busy for awhile testing the tubes and the crt and eyeballing the chassis before I try firing anything up.
Anybody know if replacements are available for the weird battery that's in the remote control? Eveready E163, 4.2 volts. Maybe something can be homemade out of smaller batteries hooked together.
Will post more info and pics as the set progresses. BOY this is a big, heavy tv! thanks....Frenchy

blue_lateral
07-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Whew!... keep us posted.

John

frenchy
07-17-2005, 01:57 PM
I posted this question to the radio newsgroup last night as the AK forum was down for maintenance...
The pic tube looks to be rebuilt, has newer 70's type "RCA" script on one sticker, label on it about it having a new gun, etc. Seems to test good, I'm getting 10 to 10.5 on a scale of 0-4.5 being fail, 4.5 to 14 being pass. On all three guns, all about 10 to 10.5. That's about what I got on all my color sets that work good, when I tested them for the heck of it.
But.... when I first pulled the back of the set off it had one of those dreaded color boosters on the pic tube. So when I saw that I thought -crap- and was expecting to get lousy test readings, especially testing it in it's old pre-booster state. This booster is just called a color booster cb-380 by antronic corporation. Somebody said maybe it was for a heater/cathode short but not sure these boosters do that unless they are marked as such, this one says nothing about it. Do they?
But even then, I get nothing on any of the HK or G1 short tests I did on any of the guns either. Cold or warm, tapping the neck, needle doesn't jump or move.
And if this booster doesn't do anything for shorts, that tells me that's not why they put the booster on there in the first place. But then why am I getting such good readings if the put it on there for low emission? Any suggestions or ideas? Just wish I had a better idea of whether or not I have a crap tube here first before I start working on the rest of the set. thanks!
Frenchy
Tester is an RCA WT-509A from late 60's.

jstout66
07-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Well.... I would suspect the tube is FINE! The booster could have been put on by a less than honest tech. We used to run into that on occasion. There was a competing repair shop that did shoddy work, and sometimes they would put a booster on just to shorten the life of the tube. Most times tho, they would install one and charge the customer for a rebuilt tube.

blue_lateral
07-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Boosters usually raise the filament voltage from 6.3 to about 8 volts. If it is on there, someone somewhere must have thought it was too dim. Some boosters are a transformer, and this would isolate the cathode from the heater power supply, possibly fixing something. (Some boosters I think are autotransformers that wouldnt isolate anything.) If the tube doesnt have a short this is probably not why they did it. I have a couple of roundie boosters that have a switch on the top. If the switch is off, it only provides isolation and doesnt boost the voltage.

The tube is probably fine. There are plenty of other things that cause low brightness.

John

frenchy
07-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah some of the optimistic possibilities I was thinking of were along the same lines - it didn't really need it but the shop put one in for a few extra bucks...maybe the guy had low line voltage and this was to boost the filaments a bit (the pic tube tester booklet lists this as a possibility for a tube testing ok on the tester but not performing accordingly in the set)...do-it-yourself owner having a cap or resistor or tube going bad elsewhere and trying this as a cheap and quick fix....the old tube had the booster and when they slapped in the rebuilt one, they just left the booster on for the heck of it.
The fact that it's a rebuild of a newer tube gives me more hope too, if it was the same old original one in there AND a booster then I'd be more pessimistic about the outcome. Oh well time to pull the chassis out and start testing everything ELSE! It has no cataracts either so that's another plus : ) If the tube ends up being a winner you might see my booster on ebay ; )
thanks...Frenchy

frenchy
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Can anybody help me figure out a few things on this ctc-10 vertical chassis. First vertical mount set I've wrestled with. I've gotten the two top bolts out, there's two holes underneath in the same area so I assume someone already forgot to put those back, and i unplugged everything from the tube, yoke etc. remote control chassis, and pulled all of the knobs. Chassis is now loose but doesn't seem to want to pull out. How is it connected to the lower control knob assembly, do I have to unscrew that from the cabinet or something? Not much room to see anything way down there. Am I missing a bolt or screw somewhere?
Also, there are two tubes just plain missing - the mixer tubes for the color/tint and on/off/volume on the remote chassis. Wondering if maybe there was a glitch in it that caused the remote functions to act screwy or kept spinning around without being told to so somebody just pulled the tubes to 'fix it' and disabled the remote control? That's all I can think of.
Some moron also snipped the speaker wire from the main cabinet area to the speaker section, probably some kid cuz that speaker section doesn't even have a back cover on it (did it ever?)
Thanks!....Frenchy

vintagecollect
07-18-2005, 02:39 AM
The motorized tuning may have screw adjustment that stop the tuner mechanically. You will need to tweek these if tampered to work properly. My mom years ago got an old 60's motorla B/W set w/similiar type tuner. Had one of those "Clicker" metal remotes that clicked two metal pieces that make noise to actuate tuner in TV. I wish still had set. These really are a marvel of engineering. Let's see, COLOR and REMOTE, is there anything else someone could want out of television???? Early remote televisions are even rarer!! I almost bidded on this but was too far away. Good luck on restoration, pics please!! ENJOY :yes:

frenchy
07-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Can anybody email me and let me know if they can mail or email me a copy of all the Sams paperwork for a ctc-10W chassis, with remote control? I can pay your expense of printing and mailing etc. Thanks!
Well the good news (I guess) is that it looks like it was a simple mechanical failure that took this set out of commission. One of the remote control drive gears for the tuner is snapped in half, the gear stayed there but would have just spun around the axle with no channel changing. Anybody got a spare one of these laying around? It's a nylon gear with a slotted axle hole and spring retainer, 34 teeth, one that goes on end of the shafts? I'll try epoxying it anyway and see what luck I have, would probably hold it. Tuner seems pretty stiff but not sure how smooth this one is supposed to be, will have to open her up and check the insides. If all else fails I can always run it on channel 3, right? ; )
Other than that, flyback looks good, there's a big black disk thing under the chassis that has a big hunk blown out of it (thermistor or something? dunno yet). Guess I'll test tubes till I can get the paperwork....thanks!....Frenchy

polaraman
07-20-2005, 08:01 AM
frenchy,

I have all 41 pages of the SAMS. Give me a couple days and I will get it to you.

polaraman

bgadow
07-20-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a can of gears; anything is possible! Will get counting those teeth....

vintagecollect
07-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Just thinking about gear dilemma.......Try a machine shop or someone machining for hobby for possible gear replacement. Also check with local clock shops/private clock repairman. You may need to get metal version w/same teeth & size or custom make. The only real concern would be, is nylon gear meshing w/other nylon gears?? IF so, plastic only replacement would not prematurely wear out other nylon gears??? If only nylon gear in tuner assembly, a metal replacement should not wear out other metal gears as long as mounted as old one and fits properly. Try custom knob makers too , to mold possible replacement .Good Luck. Being creative of course helps. Butcher sets on these I'm sure are somewhat rare.

:)

Steve D.
07-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Frenchy,

I'd be happy to send to you a copy of the RCA service schematic for the CTC-10W remote control. Contains an exploded diagram of the unit. PM me your mailing address or you can e-mail me at my e-mail address on my web page listed below.

-Steve D.

bgadow
07-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I checked the pile of gears; I think a photo of the old one would be needed, or at least some very detailed measurements. Most of what I have is either too small or too large.

Maybe Sams has a part number? With that you could contact Moyers, you've got a shot.

frenchy
07-20-2005, 11:19 PM
It is a nylon gear that just transfers the motor to the tuner, all gears associated with it are also nylon. I don't think I can take a useful photo of it (close up enough). I am pretty sure I can repair it using epoxy on both sides and place a metal washer on both sides in conjuction with the epoxy to make it solid again. Plenty of clearance to build up both sides of it. Also maybe I should make sure I am going to be able to get this set up and running on channel 3 first before putting anybody to a lot of trouble looking for a gear : ) Plus there are about 4 of these gears in the whole remote mechanism so I might be able so swap this fixed one into a a position that doesn't stress it much like the tint control or something. I still have to figure out how this mech works too.
Will update progress on the set and the gear, thanks for the assistance so far...Frenchy

3Guncolor
07-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Try J B Weld. I have saved a few pieces with it. Just don't use the remote to much and lube it good.

vintagecollect
07-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Try getting some play dough--let it dry & harden-- and send molds to all people w/possible parts, also any knob makers who may want to give it a whirl. That way you don't have to send original part & worry about losing it.

:yes:

vintagecollect
07-21-2005, 05:37 PM
A patch job may prove difficult to gear, I have done this to vintage toys w/little success, usually gear breaks again where glued from stress. A good amount of torque is probaly needed for large old type tuner to "clunk" into place. Adding metal reinforcements on both sides as patch would work if tolerances for entire assemly allow for extra room. What about Thin washers same diameter as gear, drilled w/ holes (to fasten both washers and gear together) at three corners in triangler pattern??

:thmbsp:

frenchy
07-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes there is plenty of clearance on both sides of the gear, and checked the mech again and almost sure that I can swap this gear into either the tint or the intensity mechanisms, which have almost no stress at all, practically zero, very free-spinning. JBWeld and couple of washers should do it, maybe put 3 little bolts thru the whole thing after it hardens. Hell will probably be stronger than it was originally! Fortunately it was a clean break and no teeth were lost.
Now back to seeing what I can get out of the set picture-wise and finding out condition of the pic tube. Tube in the tuner is reading a leakage on my tester but other that the tubes check out ok...Frenchy

frenchy
07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey is just pulling the 3/4 amp fuse a good enough way to start testing the tv i.e. warming up tubes and caps, sound, tuner etc.? This disables the HV and vertical and horiz. to the pic tube, right? thanks

Charlie
07-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Did you find a battery yet? What shape is it? I used an older style 4.5 volt flash battery to replace a mercury battery in a radio a few years back. Worked great, and still works today. Maybe that will help.

frenchy
07-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Battery is about 2/3 length of an AA, and maybe 25% fatter. Who still sells old flash batteries like this 4.5 volt one you mentioned?
Powered the set up without the fuse tonight, get good sound though the tuner needs cleaning BAD. No caps getting warm or anything else funny so far.
Still may need to get a new 6ea8 for the tuner as it reads leakage on my tester but not sure yet...Frenchy

frenchy
07-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey Houston, we have a picture! Not to shabby, this is without the booster on it. Comes up at normal speed after turn on. Brightness control needs to be cleaned, really glitchy when you flick it around and full-on varies in brightness depending on the flicking, which may be part of the problem. But turned up pretty high it's a good pic and I haven't cleaned any controls yet except the tuner, and this is with a crap antenna. And haven't messed with any gun settings or anything, this was just a 'what do I have here?" test.
Not getting any color, but at least good b&w, guns seem balanced (looks bluish in pic but it isn't). Get a little purple on some of the shading at extremes of the fine tuning, other than that, zero color no matter the settings, but again, crap antenna, need to hook a vcr up to it now. What does b&w with purple shading sound like? Maybe the color controls are dirty as hell too.
Here's a pic of what I got so far...time to pull it out again and start cleaning pots...Frenchy

Charlie
07-27-2005, 04:18 AM
French,

Look about halfway down this thread...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17981

and you'll see the Hoffman Solar Radio that I used the flash battery in. I had wrapped tape around it so it would fit better. IIRC, I found the battery at Walmart or Walgreens. That was a couple of years ago. I'm not home right now, so can't really get the radio to tell you the number on the battery. It sounds like this battery would damn near fit perfectly in your remote.