View Full Version : Finally got my space command 100!!!!!!!!

drh4683
05-26-2005, 09:44 PM
IT arrived yesterday! Ive waited 2 months for this set that I won off ebay. This is a 1973 Zenith chromacolor SD1910R portable with the one button space command 100. Never was able to go to florida to pick it up as I planned. I have grandparents in florida and they were able to deliver it to me when they came to visit us for the week! It was certianly worth the wait. This TV is mint like it was just off the assembly line. Im glad I didnt decide to ship it. I was impatient and was considering taking the risk. It would have been a terrible shame if anything were to happen to this set. A very rare model. The space command 100 portables had a very tempermental tuner drive that was easily broken if not handeled properly. That being said, many did not survive. This is one of the only zenith models that the exposed tuner dial rotated when you change the channels.
To my amazement, I think Im the first to ever pull the back off as every tube was original, and the dust was clean and undisturbed. The chassis dusted off to a like new shine.
Got the set working great. The guy who sold it showed my grandparents that it worked when they went to pick it up. My grandmother told me over the phone that it had a pretty poor picture.
Now that I got it home, the RF amp (2HA5) barely moved the needle on emission test and the 4GJ7 was quite weak too. Changing those tubes brought the picture in crystal clear. Only other problem was no UHF. UHF rotor plates were not making sufficent contact on the rotor due to the grease zenith used on rotor shaft. Took care of that and UHF works as it should. The set must have been a bedroom or guestroom set as it has very little hours. It had Just enough hours to kill the 2HA5, and it dont take much for those to go :D Hopefully there are a few more survivors out there like this.
Ive waited to find this very set for many years! Ive had many like it with out space command. This set truly is the pride and joy of my space command collection!

drh4683
05-26-2005, 09:45 PM
underside of chassis

drh4683
05-26-2005, 09:50 PM
inside view. Cleaned up like new. This is a 14DC16 chassis. Known as the "high performace chassis" using "proven vacuum tube circuits" as written in the 73 zenith brochure. I figure Zenith had to say something positive about a tube type chassis in 73 as solid state was becoming popular.

drh4683
05-26-2005, 09:52 PM
TV picture. Digital camera does no justice. Has a great crisp picture.

heathkit tv
05-27-2005, 03:20 AM
Wow! That is slicker than goose snot! What a sharp picture too, looks as good as most anything available new today. Am glad you were able to have it delivered by your grandparents instead of OOPS (UPS) etc.

polaraman
05-27-2005, 06:02 AM
I almost bid on that set till you said you were going for it. It was pretty close to me. I am glad one of us collectors got it. Nice picture! Another great set saved from the the trashman. I do not see many tube Space Command sets around here. Looks like it has a great home. Hope your Grandparents did not charge much for the delivery. :D

polaraman

Chad Hauris
05-27-2005, 06:44 AM
I saw one of these working at an antique shop in late 90's...had the one button remote to change the channels and the "UHF" position turned the set off. The remote was present and working. They wanted $35 for it and I thought that was a little much so I passed on it...the shop went out of business so I never got it...should have.

This must be one of the few Zenith tube type color sets having a "hot chassis".

kc8adu
06-04-2005, 11:49 PM
just got a smaller version like 15 in or so at the n. ky hamfest.
it came from the estate of a recent sk.was told it works perfect.
not sure if it is an sc model though.no sliders up top.
10.00 well spent

IT arrived yesterday! Ive waited 2 months for this set that I won off ebay. This is a 1973 Zenith chromacolor SD1910R portable with the one button space command 100. Never was able to go to florida to pick it up as I planned. I have grandparents in florida and they were able to deliver it to me when they came to visit us for the week! It was certianly worth the wait. This TV is mint like it was just off the assembly line. Im glad I didnt decide to ship it. I was impatient and was considering taking the risk. It would have been a terrible shame if anything were to happen to this set. A very rare model. The space command 100 portables had a very tempermental tuner drive that was easily broken if not handeled properly. That being said, many did not survive. This is one of the only zenith models that the exposed tuner dial rotated when you change the channels.
To my amazement, I think Im the first to ever pull the back off as every tube was original, and the dust was clean and undisturbed. The chassis dusted off to a like new shine.
Got the set working great. The guy who sold it showed my grandparents that it worked when they went to pick it up. My grandmother told me over the phone that it had a pretty poor picture.
Now that I got it home, the RF amp (2HA5) barely moved the needle on emission test and the 4GJ7 was quite weak too. Changing those tubes brought the picture in crystal clear. Only other problem was no UHF. UHF rotor plates were not making sufficent contact on the rotor due to the grease zenith used on rotor shaft. Took care of that and UHF works as it should. The set must have been a bedroom or guestroom set as it has very little hours. It had Just enough hours to kill the 2HA5, and it dont take much for those to go :D Hopefully there are a few more survivors out there like this.
Ive waited to find this very set for many years! Ive had many like it with out space command. This set truly is the pride and joy of my space command collection!

vintagecollect
08-23-2005, 02:26 AM
That is beautiful, definetetly a throw back to 60s design!!!! Exposed rotating knob also a throw back to 60s. what year is this set?? WILL buy from you if ever want to sell with serious offer.

:yes: