View Full Version : Which is your Fav-O-Rite western

Mike Bama
05-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Mine would have to be The Wild Bunch. Those were some bad ass dudes, and were probably typical of cowboys during that time in history. My fav scene, and line is when William Holden looks at the "Bunch", and says "Let's go", to which Warren Oates replies simply, "Why not".

Also in the opening bank robbery scene Holden says "If they move, kill 'em"

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/wildbunch/frame.htm

How would like this bunch coming after you?

mg196
05-26-2005, 08:33 AM
It's too close to call w/ me, but in no particualr order:

1) Man With No Name Trilogy (Clint) :pistols:
2) Once Upon A Time In The West
3) Magnificent Seven (pictured)

Punker X
05-26-2005, 08:34 AM
There's just so many good ones, but I'm a sucker for Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood combination.

High Noon is right up there.

One I haven't seen in years but remember it being outstanding is Big Hand for a Little Lady.

X

foetusized
05-26-2005, 08:42 AM
High Noon and Magnificent Seven are near the top of my list.

Cat Ballou's an interesting comedy western. Lee Marvin in dual roles is a hoot, and Stubby Kaye and Nat King Cole (in late stage lung cancer) as the singing narrators are fun too -- Foe

Celt
05-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Once Upon A Time In The West
Red River
Rio Bravo
Mag. 7

WhiskeyRebel
05-26-2005, 10:34 AM
The Long Riders
Little Big Man
Blazing Saddles
Silverado

I loved the Lonesome Dove series of books but never saw the TV shows. Did they do the books justice?

styler
05-26-2005, 10:36 AM
1. Blazing Saddles
2. The Good the Bad and the Ugly (never trust a man that wears suspenders and a belt)

opt80
05-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Movie: The Long Riders

Tv: Bonanza, a sunday nite family ritual when I was young

A

gonzo
05-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Shane,They call me Trinity,Mag 7, The Cowboys,Steve McQueen movie where he is hired to stop cattle rustling and later hanged,forget the name.

WildWest
05-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Favorite western? Well of course Clint's best...Unforgiven. Well ummm or anything else he has done. Here's a shot of my office wall... :pistols:

Army
05-26-2005, 07:36 PM
I like them all, but if I had to choose a couple. Unforgiven and Pale Rider!

Bout anything Clint or the Duke was in :thmbsp:

jimbecky48001
05-26-2005, 09:16 PM
nobody mentioned high plains drifter??

WildWest
05-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Sure I did...Look at the wall poster on the right :yes: :naughty:

Wireworm5
05-26-2005, 09:56 PM
For a Few Dollars More.
Hunchback "Well well well, looky here if it isn't the smoker, remember me?" Van Cliffe, Uh uh. "El Paso" It's a small world. "yes and very mean and nasty....go ahead ... light a match." I generally smoke just after I eat, why don't you come back in say 10 minutes. "In 10 minutes you'll be smokin in hell, draw!" :thmbsp:

Donny
05-27-2005, 08:12 PM
I like the Rifleman show and Lonesome Dove the outlaw years. I couldn't really pick a movie because most I haven't finished watching! (my dad is always watching westerns I just catch pieces)

Andyman
05-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Lots of goodies here, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned "My Darling Clementine" or "Winchester '73"

Classics, and fer good reason's too, pard!

THOR
05-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Silverado

The Long Riders

Tombstone

daddydlb
05-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Have to be The Outlaw Josey Wales. With Silverado a close second. Clint is the man when it comes to westerns.

2DualsNotEnough
05-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Id say "The Searchers" first,with John Wayne,then "Support Your Local Sherrif" next with James Garner.
Jimmy

Thatch_Ear
05-29-2005, 12:52 AM
I am not going to get into my favorite but among the ones not included are Jeremia Johnson, and I know that movie that Steve McQueen was in and the title was the name of the guy who everyone admired so much that they made him hang himself.
I did enjoy the 2 Young Guns movies, and Little Big Man is not just a good western it is just a great movie. Not a big Dustin Hoffman fan myself but I think it is his best movie and the performance was better than Rainman, not to mention Faye Dunnaway ........woohoo!!!
Dances with Wolves had some shots in it that are important but I didn't like the movie as a whole. It was slow paced and the story wasn't good enough to the time devoted to it.
Lonesome Dove when watched as a movie is one of the very best things ever put to film. There is enough time for character devlopement and it is held back enough that it doesn't try to express the true horror story that it is. It is many stories entertwined and I feel it portrayed things in a true and honest manner other than the gang rapes, torture etc done by the Comancheros. Honest characters in true settings. That isn't easy to do.

Mike Bama
05-29-2005, 10:03 AM
I want to add as Honorable Mention the new western by Kevin Costner, Open Range. Duval, as usual was great. The movie was a classic example of how cowboys would stick together, and lay their life on the line, for what they believed in. It looks like Costner may be our only hope to take over where Clint left off, in the making of westerns.

Reel 2 Reel
05-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Silverado ....the scenery is just magnificent!...and the score...just makes you want to float around out there...

McLintock....and....The Shootist..... with the Duke

As for Clint...his westerns were great...but Dirty Harry is my ultimate HERO!.... ...even over Capt. Kirk!...lol

We now return you to the favorite western movies....PUNK!

WhiteSE
05-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Well, no one mentioned my two:

Nevada Smith
HIgh Noon

and the one where they keep bugging the guy to use his long put away guns (the actor was the capt. in the movie Silent Run..not run silent/Run Deep...also one of my favs)...I cant remember his name...in the flick he ends up torpedoing a jap ship that may be carrying his family)..

Mr Natural
05-31-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm with Andy on this one...

My Darling Clementine
all the best westerns were all filmed in black and white!!

Thatch_Ear
06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm with Andy on this one...

My Darling Clementine
all the best westerns were all filmed in black and white!!

That it is and if you want to really mix things up watch that and follow it with Once Upon A Time In The West. Henry Fonda could not have played 2 rolls so opposite in polarity in the same genre. One of the reasons OUTITW didn't go over well in the states IMO.

I thought Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone worthy of an Oscar. "I'll be your huckleberry."

elroymcgee
06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Blazing Saddles

Silverado

mg196
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Westworld, anyone?

Mike Bama
06-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Well, no one mentioned my two:

Nevada Smith
HIgh Noon

and the one where they keep bugging the guy to use his long put away guns (the actor was the capt. in the movie Silent Run..not run silent/Run Deep...also one of my favs)...I cant remember his name...in the flick he ends up torpedoing a jap ship that may be carrying his family)..

Glenn Ford, another fine western actor. Can't think of the movie title, but I have seen it. Was it the one where he was a sheep rancher?

Mr Natural
06-02-2005, 06:58 PM
after a dinnertime discussion with the wife, we decided on these favoreeteez:

1 - My Darling Clementine
2 - How the West was Won
3 - Little Big Man
4 - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
5 - The Outlaw Josey Wales

6 - Blazing Saddles - still debating with her as to wether this is really a 'western'

Natch :smoke:

TWantiques
06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Lonesome Dove when watched as a movie is one of the very best things ever put to film. There is enough time for character devlopement and it is held back enough that it doesn't try to express the true horror story that it is. It is many stories entertwined and I feel it portrayed things in a true and honest manner other than the gang rapes, torture etc done by the Comancheros. Honest characters in true settings. That isn't easy to do.

Couldn't gree more. Even read the book which is equally as good.

Paint Your Wagon, a musical comedy is OK except when Clint Eastwood sings.

Terry

Mike Bama
06-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Silverado ....the scenery is just magnificent!...and the score...just makes you want to float around out there...

This may be of some interest to you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4735821472

foetusized
06-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Paint Your Wagon, a musical comedy is OK except when Clint Eastwood sings.

Terry

And Lee Marvin was any better?
"I was born under a wandering star...." -- Foe

Reel 2 Reel
06-06-2005, 04:53 PM
OH no chit Mike!!!...that would sound cool on the Fortes' at about 5 watts!!!.... :banana:

I need to see if Musicmatch has it ....other than that I will keep my eyes open for it localy!!!!....thanks!..... :thmbsp:

Reveleer
06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Outlaw Josey Wales is tops. Kill Clint's family & burn his homestead...well, payback is a bitch. #1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tombstone. Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday is classic! A calm, educated, articulate man who'll back his friends & outdraw you you every time! Beautiful.

Sandy G
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
My favorite western? Try this-"Oh, I got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle/ As I go ridin' merrily along/And they say, "Oh ain't ya glad you're single?"/ And that song ain't so very far from wrong...."-Sandy G.

Mike Gibson
06-07-2005, 10:05 PM
I like the spaghetti westerns Eastwood did because he more or less introduced the "anti hero" into westerns. For authentic westerns The best I've seen are Monty Walsh-The Lee Marvin version, The Unforgiven-Clint Eastwood and Open Range-Duvall. The gunfight in Open Range and Unforgiven is Hollywood but the rest of the show is pretty accurate as far as the way it was.

ManFromPorlock
06-13-2005, 09:09 PM
...Steve McQueen movie where he is hired to stop cattle rustling and later hanged,forget the name.

Tom Horn.