View Full Version : Curtis Mathes gone south! Help!

Charlie
05-11-2005, 07:21 PM
The other night, I was watchin my CM roundie and started losing HV with a sizzling sound and burning smell! Come to find out, my flyback is shot!

I was looking for a part number in the Sams, and they only provided two CM numbers... 1A206 and 1A242. There were no cross refs for Thordarson or Merit. If anyone happens to have any kind of cross-reference data for the above mentioned CM flyback numbers, please let me know.

If it turns out I can't locate a replacement, I do have a NOS CM c24 chassis in a box that uses the same flyback. I hate to cannibalize this un-used chassis, but I guess I will if I can't find another replacement.

The c24 chassis is almost identical to the c20 in my roundie... but the c24 is set up for a rectangular crt. I kinda wondered if I could just plug in this NOS chassis, but my concern is that my old yoke and convergence board might not plug and play with this chassis. So far, I havent found a c24 schematic to compare.

Anyway, if anyone has any x-ref data for my flyback numbers, let me know. I will probably call Moyer's tomorrow and see if they have this CM number listed.

Thanks.

Chad Hauris
05-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Charlie is it like, say, a ctc-15 or 16 chassis, that you might could use a flyback for that?

I had a Silvertone round set that was like a ctc-15 and substituted in a flyback from a Hoffman rectangular set that was like a ctc-17...it worked ok but there was a little bit of a lack of horizontal width.

Charlie
05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
The CM chassis is very similiar to the 15 and 16. In fact, the CM chassis is kinda like a cross between the 15 and 16. The 15 HV cage uses a solid state focus rectifier... but this one has a tube. The 16 HV cage uses a flyback with the "top mounted" 3A3, and the CM does not.

The flyback I have in that other chassis is an exact match, but, like i said... I kinda hate to rip parts off of a never-used chassis. I'd rather keep it complete. Although, there is the possibility that the NOS chassis might not ever get used.

bgadow
05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
My Thordarson book sez: both 1A206 & 242 cross to FLY-277.

For what its worth, I browsed through the RCA section & see 2 part numbers that also cross to the FLY-277: RCA 113382 & 906152-501.

Charlie
05-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Hmmm... aparently i need to examine these closer. When I look at the CM flyback, the connections are a little different. Perhaps it simply looks different due to the 1V2 being in place of the rectifier diodes. Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me, Bryan!