View Full Version : Found a roundie! Well, the shell of one anyway...

RetroHacker
04-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, today I found a General Electric console television _cabinet_ on the side of the road. No television though. No tube, no chassis, no knobs, no speaker. The cabinet's in pretty good shape though. It's definitely a less expensive model, not terribly heavy with nothing in it. I dragged it home anyway, figured that it's better than nothing, and maybe, just maybe, I'll find some parts to put in it... I left a note on the door at the house asking if they had any idea where the innerworkings were, and if they'd be able to help me out. Chances are though, that they won't call me. I'll have to post pictures of the thing when I get it out of the van. The tube chart is still on the inside of the set, and I'm sure that the model number is on there somewhere. I'll definitely post whatever information I can find here.

Also, while scavenging, I found an old HeathKit television set. It's missing quite a few parts though, it's more like just a chassis with a tube in it... But, I picked it up anyway. When I get time I'll post more about that too. Maybe someone can use parts. It's a GR-269 if I remember correctly. No cabinet, just the frame. Neat chassis design on that one though. A hinged metal door with a hole in it for the neck of the tube, which holds connectors for the circuitry. Looks like there were at one point a bunch of plug in boards on the back of the thing. They're not there at the moment, however...

Oh well, a roundie shell is better than no roundie at all. On the plus side, I also found a nice Sony professional video monitor, and a Sony SuperBeta Hi-Fi deck. Can't wait to play with the Beta deck - it's a _lot_ nicer that the one I've been using.

I'm rambling again. Ack.

-Ian

NIPPERTHEDOG
05-06-2005, 09:26 AM
try to fit a retro 27" TV that uses manual analog knobs, 27" picture tube fill area of 21" perfectly. You may have to modify original CRT mounts. try to mount controls in all the right places(i.e. tint goes where original tint control was , etc). Make extension wires for all controls moved to fit inside your cabinety . I ACTUALLY DID THIS TO MY PICTURE SYMBOL (CTC-4) TEMPORARILY UNTIL RESTORATION GOT UNDER WAY!!! Was cool setup- I watched conversion TV for one year before original innards put back in. TRY this and you should be very happy with result, you'll need to find some retro knobs to finish the job as well as mount innards of tv securely. Just a hint, find extra flybacks to to you put in as older flybacks are always going obsolete and never made again. Please keep me on status of your project.

:banana: :yes: :scratch2: :smoke: :D