View Full Version : Early 1950's Regal TV?

zenith2134
04-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Okay, My neighbor gave me this set, hasnt been used in over 25 years, No model number. He plugged her in and got buzzing from chassis. All tubes light, but there is no raster. There is no High voltage, so I turned the horiz. drive adjustment knob and got a few snaps. What is wrong, is it a tube? Thanks!

Bill Cahill
04-03-2005, 07:43 PM
I'd say your tv needs, as a start, a total re-building. Replace all paper caps, All electorlytics, make sure all resistors are with-in 20% range, and replace any that don't. Check for shorts in b+ supply. Some chassi mounted b+ resistors tend to short to chassis, and should be totally replaced. When you get that going, go from there. It may still need more if it still doesn't work. :yes:

zenith2134
04-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks for you response. I have a couple of questions-- Why is one wire which comes from the flyback wrapped around the top of a tube, and If the CRT neck lights, then is there in fact HV? I also intend to replace cap's and resistors soon. Thanks again

Bill Cahill
04-04-2005, 09:17 AM
On picture tube, what do you mean it lights? Does the face light, or just the filament in the neck? If only the later, no, it doesn't mean you have high voltage. Filament of picture tube is connected with filaments of most other tubes. Also, it doesn't guarantee your picture tube is any good.
Now, as for a wire being wrapped around a tube, can you send me a picture of this? If this is a high voltage oscilator vs. a flyback, in some instances, they put a spring around high voltage rectifier with a wire connected to it from the osc. coil. It seemed to be used as some sort of kickback voltage. What size of picture tube is it? You must exercise caution when working on tv's. They utilize very high voltages, and you could do great harm to the set, and conceivably, kill yourself. And, just un-plugging the set does not guarantee you have "lost " the hv. These sets need considerably more caution thatn most radios. :thmbsp:

zenith2134
04-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Yes, just the neck lights. I will post some pics once I -find- my camera! Anyways, I was a little baffled because I am used to audio and to solid state in general besides my Fisher 500C. Thanks again

zenith2134
04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Okay, I am sorry to be bother, but I must correct my previous post. Two tubes under the HV cage are dead, and 1 small black tube labeled "RCA Electron Tube" doesnt light. Where can I get these if they do not have #'s on them? Also, only channel 5 comes in (sound only, i mean) Please help an inexperienced tube tv guy. Thanks in advance.

bgadow
04-04-2005, 09:15 PM
The sound is encouraging! I would not run the set any more than you have to due to the caps. Note that the hv rectifier (probably a 1B3 or similiar) will likely not have a visible filament. As for finding out tube numbers, I assume there is not tube location chart present with the set? Usually pasted to the inside of the cabinet or on the chassis. Do you have a model number? I don't think many Regals were made so one way or the other we could find a tube chart for this beast. Any of the tubes for this machine will be readily available via mail order, at least. My guess, off hand, is that you have some bad caps that are, for one reason or another, keeping the hv from running. But there are all kinds of things that could keep you from seeing a raster, from a bad picture tube to a misadjusted ion trap, other bad tubes...I've seen a dirty tuner keep a set from putting any light on the screen. Take your time, ask questions often!

zenith2134
04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Hello again. There is no tube chart anywhere, maybe due to the fact that it is in a 'custom cabinet', according to the original owners. There is no model # or chassis # anywhere, which is discouraging, but the label says regal electronics corporation, manufactured under patents by RCA. I am getting to work getting caps in the meantime. thanks alot everyone

heathkit tv
04-05-2005, 05:58 PM
If you can post a photo of the chassis it may help others identify it as it may be similar to well known RCA chassis.

Anthony

zenith2134
04-14-2005, 04:37 PM
hello guys. I thoroughly went over the chassis visually and have a couple of questions. Mainly all of the capacitors are 'DuraMould' and some also say DuMont. Do all of these need to be replaced likely? Where can I obtain them--The CRT is a Sylvania, and the chassis utilizes Philco, RCA, and Sylvania tubes. I intend to post good pics over the weekend. Thanks and sorry for being very ignorant

zenith2134
04-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey. I just got a raster after cleaning all of the tube sockets! Now it is not stable but its a start. As for the model, I found all the old service receipts from the 50's and most claim its a "630-type" 21". Help me identify it further please. Thanks guys