View Full Version : A couple of TV finds

drh4683
03-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Got these two sets from a co-workers parents yesterday. They were moving out of there home into a condo and ran across these sets in their basement and asked I wanted them.
First set is a CTC-70 RCA Mural TV with a 1976 model year. its a P model which makes it a hotel/hospital set. It has remote control and is a wired type that plugs into the back of the set. No remote. Unfortunatly they bought this set used back in the early 80's and never got a remote with it. It works good though. Kind of a rare set.

drh4683
03-30-2005, 07:46 PM
The second set is a JC Penny which is an RCA set with a CTC-71JCP, this one they bought new in 76. Its basically a CTC-70 but since it has the cheap name, it gets its own chassis number! RCA still made a good solid TV in 76 using the plug in modules etc like a chroma. II. This set dont work. Plugged it in, pressed the breaker and the thermistor exploaded into flames. and popped the breaker again. Im sure its just a shorted filter cap. By the way, the speaker grill is a fine perforated metal and just appears that it is missing in the picture.

I took them off their hands so they wouldnt get tossed, but I really dont want them. If someone is interested they are yours. Perhaps you have something to trade??

Chad Hauris
03-31-2005, 06:14 AM
Is that first set a varactor type tuner? I haven't seen a single knob tuner on a '76 model before. These sets always seem to be good performers...have never seen a bad or weak CRT on one, they have a good bright picture.

andy
03-31-2005, 10:38 AM
---

Chad Hauris
03-31-2005, 11:37 AM
No, these should be delta gun crt's. I think the 17" was the only RCA inline pre-1980. I have one of the 17" inlines from about 1975, it is in my parents' garage somewhere. Has a power supply problem so have never seen it work.
Do have a 1977 Colortrak delta gun, also a 79 25" and an 80 19" delta gun Colortrak. The '77 is likely among the first of the colortrak models?

drh4683
03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
UHF channels A-H preset, varactor tuning. Motor drive mechanical select for VHF and the 6 preset channels. Channel "H" is set to turn the TV off. Thus, the tuning knob has 20 detented positions. After pulling the back off to see how the remote is wired, its channel forward and mute only functions. Very basic. Jumpered the terminals to see if the motor drive works and it does.

drh4683
04-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Ok, did some work on the JC Penny set this evening. Figure I'd fix it for something to do. Turns out to be a shorted filter cap as suspected. a 500uf@200V had a dead short causing the thermistor to expload, thus tripping the breaker.
Well, the set turned on and worked, had a picture lacking blue. Put a test on the CRT and it is completely toasted junk. R+G were so weak the needle hardly moved. rejuvator wouldnt do a thing. A brightener didnt do a thing but make the filaments burn brighter. Blue gun had an open anode. This is a pretty nice clean set, just has a million hours on it. This set must have been used well into the 90's. I guess this is the set that proves us wrong about always having good crts. This is the first one Ive come across with a shot CRT. 99% of the time they work with great picture. Its still available. I got the set to work fine, you just need to put a tube in it! The RCA mural TV was taken by captianmoody.

Chad Hauris
04-03-2005, 02:09 PM
It's sometimes better when the sets break down with chassis problems...this keeps the crt's from getting worn out before we get them! Have seen more 25V" Rca's that have weak tubes....seems rare that the 19" set has a weak CRT...it may have just been played 24 hours a day for many years.

wa2ise
04-03-2005, 03:23 PM
It's sometimes better when the sets break down with chassis problems...this keeps the crt's from getting worn out before we get them! Have seen more 25V" Rca's that have weak tubes....seems rare that the 19" set has a weak CRT

I had an RCA CTC62 17 or 19 inch CRT (IIRC, it was the one using SCRs for the horizontal output) with a CRT with weak guns, the green very weak. It had a 1/4 inch layer of fuzz and dust everywhere on the chassis when I got it. It got tossed when the CRT got really bad. I saved the plug in modules and circuit boards from it; if anyone needs such speak up.