View Full Version : Is this worth it?

rca2000
03-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I decided to go for this Zenith SC400,looks like it has a nice cabinet, It is a 1958 remote model, in a full-length cabinet, and the seller can wait a ehile for me to get it. Did I make a mistake?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5762087758&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Eric H
03-24-2005, 06:47 PM
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33442

You probably did OK, dunno about that seller though :rofl:

rca2000
03-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Maybe we should just cut Ebay out of this, and handle things between us guys, here at the site(like pull the auction, if no one else is interested, in a day or so).

Not to mention, maybe there is something I have, that Doug wants, like that 71 model Zenith,or the 68 or 69 Model Zenith consoles, I have, One has power tuning?(probably a 20y1c50, or similar)

Bill Cahill
03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi, guys. I have the table top 1959 version of the series 300 remote control set. The mechanism that turns the tuner appears to be jammed, and someone broke original knob trying to mannually change channels. Any idea what jams in these things? I have not yet started re-building this set. If I need one, how hard is it to find the picture tube for this set? I have a later model with-out remote that I could possibly steal it from, but, I'd kinda hate to.

Bill Cahill
03-30-2005, 03:40 PM
By the way, is anyone interested in purchasing small tv only consles of a 1949, and 1950 Porthole
Zenith tv's? They're both un-restored. 12" has a dud 12UP4. I picked up a good sub 16AP4 to replace incorrect dud 16GP4 in other. It uses a 16EP4. A 16AP4 is a very close sub. The sub is new, re-built , old stock.Both mahogany cabinets are fairly decent. Neither have doors. Never did.

bgadow
03-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Bill, I'm not sure what would cause the remote problem. Maybe a bad gear? Others will know more. I don't know off hand what picture tube that set would use but I would think it would be a more common one. Finding one locally might be a problem but if you don't mind shipping one they should be out there. Where are you located?

Carmine
03-31-2005, 03:19 PM
I need the extra chassis for a porthole Zenith.

drh4683
04-01-2005, 04:37 PM
If your tuner is jammed, check to see that the drive pin is not inside the starwheel. The starwheel is the large sprocket with the channel skip tabs mounted directly on the tuner shaft. Chances are grease dried and the system is extremely stiff. At one time, the motor just had barely enough to turn the gears and then stopped leaving the drive pin in the starwheel. Hopefully the motor is ok, as it is bound up with power applied to it. Ive replaced motors before because of this. You will need to manually push the pin out of the way. If that doesnt work, you need to pull the tuner, WD 40 any bushings and turn the gears, then lube with oil. WD40 will evaporate and leave the bushings dryout leaving no lube at all. You will see what Im talking about when you can see it up close.
Even when working properly, early space command sets (56-61) will turn channels rather slowly. 1962 zenith models had a redesigned space command tuner drive making the sets almost immune to mechanical failure and they also changed channels much faster.