View Full Version : Some ideas for the early color enthusiast

Kamakiri
03-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Since AudioKarma seems to be populated by most of the well-known people in the early color television circles (and those just being discovered), I was thinking that perhaps people would want to post the model numbers and makes of the sets in their collections, keeping the list updated from time to time. I had also thought about creating a dedicated 15GP22 forum, just for discussion of issues and discoveries related to the earliest of these sets.

Perhaps link exchanges with other sites as well, or a sticky post with well-known TV sites too.

Let's not forget guys that you're welcome to use the Gallery to upload and post as many pictures from your collections as you like :)

With all of the excitement and activity here, I'd like to build on the strengths which we already have :) . If anyone has any thoughts, speak up!

Telecolor 3007
03-24-2005, 08:08 AM
I own an 1971-74 West-German hybrid with 4 tubes called "Normende" Color Prasident. Unofurtnely, the set is not in good working condition.
I also own an 1984 (manufactured December the 5h, 1984 and bought December the 25th, 1984) "Romanian" solid state color tv set Telecolor 3007, asambled at "Electronica" Plants from Bucharest (the majority of the tranzistor are made in G.D.R. and the picture tube is "Toshiba", Made in Japan). The diagonal of the scereen is 56 cm.

bgadow
03-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Correct, this is an exciting time & place as more folks discover early color & those who have admired early sets for years finally say, aw, what the heck, I'm gonna jump right in and collect them! Should a new, dedicated thread be started just to list inventories? I have posted before in an old thread but it would be nice if we could all post in one place. I've also got a long list of NOS parts on the computer at home which I would be happy to post if there was a good place for it. I enjoy posting pics in the gallery, though I usually like to wait until the set is working.

Its great to be able to share in the experiences here, some of the finds like the 54 Zenith & the Admiral Royal, the Hoffman Colorcaster, and to hopefully get to watch as each is brought back to life.

polaraman
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Can I place a photo of my empty CTC 5 Wingate cabinet? :D I keep hope alive that somebody has the innards to help me complete the set.

polaraman

VinylHanger
03-24-2005, 12:42 PM
What years is early color?

polaraman
03-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Pre 1959?

polaraman

Kamakiri
03-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Can I place a photo of my empty CTC 5 Wingate cabinet? :D I keep hope alive that somebody has the innards to help me complete the set.

polaraman

If I can fill an empty CT-100 cabinet, you can fill that one!

The moment you toss it out is the moment that you'll find the parts you need!

RetroHacker
03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Can I place a photo of my empty CTC 5 Wingate cabinet? I keep hope alive that somebody has the innards to help me complete the set.

I've got the power cord for a real nice roundie - now all I need to do is get the rest of the parts... the tube, cabinet, chassis, tuner, etc. I'm almost there!

<grin>

-Ian

Aussie Bloke
03-25-2005, 07:45 PM
That's a bloody awsome idea :thmbsp: ! I say go for it :thmbsp: !

Unfortunately for myself I cannot collect TVs as I got no space in the house and my room is full of old 1970s and early 80s video recorders as I collect early home video recordings of the 70s and 80s. The two old TVs I have are a late 70s Toshiba Blackstripe set which is my watching set, occasionally the picture brightness goes noisy and flicker blooms and the ferrite coils vibrate giving a high pitch frequency squeal (easily fixed with a slap on the top right corner of the set) but it's fine. And my other colour telly is a 1974/75 Philips which is under the house and I simply don't have the tools to fix it and the picture is green.

But if I ever had the opportunity to get a roundie I'd grab it with both arms regardless of space as I want to be the first Australian to own a 1950s/60s round tube colour TV set :thmbsp: ! And if it was operational I'd send pictures of the set displaying old and new Aussie programs like Countdown, The Footy Show, Neighbours, Paul Hogan Show, footy and cricket games (not that I watch much sport) etc.....

Also I mentioned a while back about the idea of having a forum on discussing early colour and B&W TV shows and a forum on early studio cameras like the famous TK-41 colour camera, hope it may be possible for those forums?

Cheers
Troy

Kamakiri
03-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I'll make you a deal Troy.....

You find a way to get it shipped, and I will get one for you and crate it :)

Sandy G
03-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey, didn't a CTC-5 recently get sent to Der Fatherland...and IT survived... Sending one to Oz should be doable. I would think there HAS to be a couple of roundies Down Under..Wouldn't the Australian Broadcasting Comission have been doing experiments for several years on colorcasts before they actually started? Troy, don't y'all have an Oz-equivalent of the BBC that regulates all this stuff? Maybe, somewhere in a back room...there's an old RCA or Zenith roundie waiting to be discovered. Any of the universities or colleges have big communications departments? They might have one squirreled away. You never know where one might turn up. Maybe some well-heeled bigshot entertainer had one imported privately. -Sandy G.

Aussie Bloke
03-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi Sandy. What you said seems possible. The other Aussie who posts here Chris, he's told me that he's heard from someone that colour television experiments began in Australia as early as the late 1950s however have to try and get hold of some concrete information. I hope so anyways as there may be a possibilty of some roundie colour sets and even a TK-41 camera around in the land of OZ :thmbsp: !

So far the earliest of colour being in Australia that I know of is in 1967 ATV0 borrowed TK-42 colour cameras from Channel 9 in USA and did an experimental closed circuit NTSC colourcast of one of the horse races which the the people involved were impressed with the results. Basically I'd say the people in the control room watched it in colour whilst it was broadcasted in B&W by killing the chroma signal on transmission. Anyhow I'm assuming these cameras went back to USA after that.

In 1968 at the Melbourne Expo was a demonstration of PAL colour television which Chris told me he went to and saw on the colour sets "The Flinstones" in colour. Anyhow Channel 7 did a colour demo with some young boy singing a song (think he later did "Young Talent Time") and fortunately this was recorded in colour on 2" quad and this footage was put on the "Young Talent Time Tells All" DVD set which my mate Frank copied that footage for me and the colour looked really good too.

I'm doing research finding out if colour experiments existed in Australia prior to 1967 and am buying "Radio, Television & Hobbies" magazines from the 50s and 60s from collector shops finding out if any experiments took place which I've not yet had success. Hopefully Chris may come across some great solid info on pre-1967 colour experiments in Australia.

I know that one day when I make a good amount of money and have a house of my own with good storage space I will import a roundie and maybe even buy a working TK-41 camera from Chuck Pharis if he gets a few of his TK-41s working though I'm only dreaming right now.

Cheers
Troy

oldtvman
04-02-2005, 03:26 PM
currently restoring wingate model i got on ebay about a year ago. paid 350 for the old gal crt is in excellent condition. cabinet is a little rough but i can refinish it