View Full Version : When was the slogan "living color" dropped from the networks?

Aussie Bloke
03-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi all. As you's know back in the 50s and 60s colour programs used the slogan "living color" eg. "the following program is been brought to you in living color on NBC", "this program is brought to you in living color" quotes from "An Evening With Fred Astaire" clip http://www.kingoftheroad.net/colorTV/NBCcolortape-high.html . I was wondering what year did the networks drop the "living color" slogan?

When Australia started broadcasting in colour in late 1974 onwards we also used the "living colour" slogan as well particularly on Channel 9. Don't know when we stopped using that slogan but 1974-76 it was in use on the Channel 9 network, I have a 1976 Aussie Bandstand program transferred from a Umatic tape which at the end of the program is the Channel 9 ID with "living colour" below it. I can guess it was dropped in Australia around 1977 or 1978.

Anyways just curious.

Cheers
Troy

Big Dave
03-19-2005, 10:19 PM
NBC dropped the "living color" slogan in about the mid 70's (and the peacock too). I don't know about CBS or ABC.

Joel Cairo
03-20-2005, 01:12 AM
The CBS color bumper was removed in about June of 1968. Not certain about ABC.

NBC was the only American network that actually advertised their shows as being in "living color"... I believe that was a tag line they took from their ownership by RCA.

-Kevin

Celt
03-20-2005, 05:34 AM
RCA used "Living Stereo" on their record albums back then too.

oldtvman
03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
nbc stopped using the animated peacock and the term living color in 1974

wa2ise
03-20-2005, 08:43 PM
nbc stopped using the animated peacock and the term living color in 1974

Was that the time NBC switched to that "N" logo that turned out to be similar to Nebraska state's educational TV network?

colortrakker
03-20-2005, 09:04 PM
About a year before, I think. NBC spent $750,000 to come up with it. (Call it blasphemous but it's my favorite NBC logo.)

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:HGQqgvFzyRgJ:www.studyworksonline.com/worksheets/symmetry/images/nbc.gif

Steve Hoffman
03-20-2005, 09:48 PM
No, I remember them discussing the new logo (and putting it down) on Saturday Night Live. That show didn't even start until 1975. I also remember going to a taping of the Tonight Show in 1976 (my high-school buddy became a page at NBC) and they rolled the peacock before the show so go figure...

Steve D.
03-21-2005, 01:29 AM
I agree with Steve Hoffman that the "Tonight Show" was the last NBC show to have the Living Color Peacock opening. However, my records indicate the NBC Peacock last displayed its feathers on Dec. 31, 1975.
The animated peacock is still seen from time to time as a nostalgic opening on specials such as network anniversary shows. Also as a part of the 60's montage opening on "American Dreams".

-Steve

Steve Hoffman
03-21-2005, 02:31 AM
Steve-O,

Yeah, could have been the end of '75 that I was at the Tonight Show.. I remember Ed came out about five minutes before the show started and chatted with the audience. Just as he finished talking the Peacock came over the monitors and the show started. Neat! Boy, was the band LOUD! Nothing like it sounded at home; those guys could cook...

rp2813
03-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I stopped watching the Tonight show with any regularity before Johnny Carson left, but I am pretty sure that they used the peacock up front until the very last day he hosted. I think that would place it somewhere in the early 90's that it stopped being used on a daily basis prior to the Tonight show. I agree that it was dropped many years before that for all other shows so I'm thinking Johnny may have had something in writing saying they still needed to use the peacock with his show until he retired.

bgadow
03-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Hmmm...I don't recall the peacock on the Carson show at all, and used to watch it quite a bit. Maybe my local stations cut it out...or maybe it was only inserted by certain stations? I do remember the "second generation" peacock, used alongside the "N", later replaced by the "third generation" with fewer feathers. See, hanging around color tv sets is hazardous to your health, it causes your tail feathers to fall out!

nasadowsk
03-21-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm guessing that eventually, the NBC peacock will be reduced to 3 feathers, then just one. Though they've been on retro kick lately, I've seen old school NBC logos flashed at times. I like that stuff - I hate companies that try to ignore their history. Speaking of which, remmber that Mercedes Benz ad a few years back with the timeline scrolling accross the screen and their various innovations through the years? anyone else notice it went 1910, 1915, 1920, 1925, 1930, 1950, 1955, 1960....

heathkit tv
03-21-2005, 06:55 PM
They skipped 1935-40-45 could it possibly be due to this?

Telecolor 3007
03-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Great link, Aussie Blok. :thmbsp:

Jeffhs
04-14-2005, 03:38 AM
NBC still uses the peacock, although it is much smaller now, has fewer feathers and is no longer animated. (The network also continues to use the old G-E-C chimes from time to time, though today the sound is probably computer-generated, as is the peacock; further, an animated version of the new peacock can on occasion be seen on NBC during the opening sequences for specials and the like.) This symbol has been associated with NBC TV for decades (since shortly after the network began telecasting in color), so when GE bought the network from RCA in 1986 it was decided to keep the bird. Heck, even some local NBC affiliates use the color version of the small peacock somewhere on their station IDs-- for example, the local NBC station in Cleveland uses the color peacock on some of its program ads and promotional blurbs, with the number 3 (the station's channel number) immediately to the left of it. The station also uses a grayish version of the peacock on the front of its news anchor desk. At its former studio building (the station moved to an HDTV-ready studio in a newly-constructed building a few years ago), this station had a large, illuminated color NBC peacock adorning the front of the anchor desk, but since moving to the new studio, that illuminated peacock and its desk were relegated to the newsroom, where it is seldom if ever seen anymore. :( Channel 3 also uses a smaller gray peacock with the number 3 partially superimposed on it; this is used mostly for station identification, although the thing also has promotions for certain of the station's syndicated programs, plus time and weather in the corner. The gray peacock with the large 3 is also used in the news studio; it can almost always be seen behind one of the station's two news anchors during the station's evening and midday newscasts, not to mention the local news breaks during the "Today" show and the occasional special report or breaking news story.

heathkit tv
04-14-2005, 03:48 AM
The Peacock as used by NBC (and their affiliates) is a trademark and in order for it to be kept in their legal possession they must "exercise" it by using it in SOME manner.

Even Pontiac kept using their Indian Chief head silhouette for many years in order to keep it alive.....at one point the high beam indicator on the dash was in the shape of Chief Pontiac's profile!

If a company lapses in the use of a trademark, no matter how well known it may be to the public, it will eventually revert to the public domain. A company can try to argue prior use etc, but often that's a losing battle. Bottom line, NBC may still be using it not so much out of a reverence to past glory, but to keep their legal right to it.

Anthony

frenchy
04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
CBS still uses their 'eye' as their station identifier in corner of the screen, so it is logical NBC uses the peacock there. Not really anything else they could put there, just NBC in a box or their lame "N" logo, both would look pretty lame. Everyone knows the peacock means NBC. ABC never really had a logo per se except the "ABC" in a circle which they use as the identifier.

Jeffhs
04-14-2005, 01:47 PM
The Peacock as used by NBC (and their affiliates) is a trademark and in order for it to be kept in their legal possession they must "exercise" it by using it in SOME manner.

If a company lapses in the use of a trademark, no matter how well known it may be to the public, it will eventually revert to the public domain. A company can try to argue prior use etc, but often that's a losing battle. Bottom line, NBC may still be using it not so much out of a reverence to past glory, but to keep their legal right to it.

Anthony

I didn't know that. I swear, I learn something new every time I visit these forums.

NBC has not used its "snake" logo since 1976 and its early xylophone logo (which predated the snake and of course the peacock, since the xylophone dates back to the network's black/white TV era if not before) hasn't been used since at least the early '60s, so both logos (not to mention RCA's original circular logo) may well be in the public domain by now.

You may be right as to NBC's use of the peacock in the 21st century solely to retain their rights to it, not for nostalgic reasons. NBC is owned by General Electric these days, which probably couldn't care less about the peacock's history or how much it meant to the network from 1956-1976 (even though in the early years, 1926 until the '40s or so, NBC was partially owned by GE--but then again, GE and NBC were different in those days). Witness the use of RCA's modern logo on today's Thomson-built color televisions. This is used solely as a marketing symbol, the same as the lightning-bolt Z logo is or was used on Gold Star-built televisions. These old logos used on today's electronic equipment are, as you said, just a way for companies to keep from losing their rights to them. If it weren't for that, these logos would have faded into oblivion years ago. This has happened to Magnavox as well, only its logos haven't been used in so long Philips probably couldn't get them back if they wanted to, without a long and drawn-out court battle which they would probably lose anyhow. Witness Magnavox's original logo, with the name "Magnavox" spelled out in upper- and lower-case letters and positioned at the base of the CRT mask on their 1950s-'70s black/white and possibly color sets, and the Magnavox shield. Philips, which now owns what was Magnavox, has decided to abandon those logos altogether; the only reference to Magnavox on today's Philips-built televisions is the name MAGNAVOX, spelled out in all uppercase letters at the base of the CRT mask on the cabinet. As with RCA and Zenith, the Magnavox name means absolutely nothing (except as a marketing tag) nowadays, with no connection or affiliation, etc. whatsoever with the original Magnavox Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The latter has been out of business for years, ever since Philips of the Netherlands acquired the company some time ago.

And so it goes.

wa2ise
04-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Every so often you see a magazine ad by a company showing its historical logos. Obstensively telling about the long history and years of experience in their line of business, but I would guess that a big part of it is to exercise the old trademark to "refresh" it in the legal trademark sense. I suppose running the ad in one widely read magazine (like National Geographic, which does a lot of history related articles, so an ad about a company's history would be not out of place) once a year is enough.

andy
04-15-2005, 12:46 AM
---

Steve D.
04-15-2005, 01:09 AM
That's the "use it or lose it" company logo or trademark policy that is being discussed on this thread. I think the word "Victrola" which dates to RCA's earliest days is no longer used. The term "Golden Throat" sound is also long gone in favor of more hi tech words. The old RCA logo with the lightning bolt is still the logo for RCA Records and the RCA Victor label which uses the RCA Victor logo used on tv's & radios in the 50's is a division of BMG Music owned by Sony. And of course "Nipper"the dog was dropped and then resurrected in the late 80's. "His Master's Voice" is probably also owned by who ever has these tradmarks. GE, BMG/Sony,TCL China- Thomson or god knows who. Of course TCL- China/Thomson has the rights to the GE/RCA brand logos for their consumer electronics, Not to be confused with some GE produced appliances which are licensed by Black & Decker, Then there are the large appliances division owned by GE which also owns and manufacturers RCA & Hotpoint appliances. The Peacock is copyright by GE Corp. which owns NBC/Universal. Whew!

-Steve D.

Jeffhs
04-15-2005, 04:18 AM
I think NBC gave up on its "living color" announcements just about the time they retired the original animated color peacock. There was no need for NBC to use this announcement anyhow by the mid-'70s, as all its programs were in color by then (NBC was the first TV network to telecast in full color, and it was doing that by the mid-sixties, IIRC). Also, this is probably about the time, give or take a few years, TV manufacturers quit putting color indicators on the front panels of their sets. By the seventies, who needed a light on the front of their TV to tell them a program was being telecast in color? The same argument could probably be made for stereo indicator LEDs or pilot lamps on FM radios; most stations broadcast in stereo these days, and it is easy enough to tell if the station you're listening to is in stereo or mono just by listening to the sound.

I was not aware that either CBS or ABC announced their color programs using the phrase "living color", but then again in the '60s through the '80s, and even today, many of my favorite shows were/are on NBC, so I watch that network most of the time. Law and Order, Brian Williams and Stone Phillips (the latter on Dateline) and Meet the Press for news, etc.

heathkit tv
04-15-2005, 05:07 AM
It only makes sense that all stations would've stopped boasting about color.....just as they have stopped showing "In Stereo" along the bottom of the screen at the beginning of a show. Eventually they'll also stop with the "In High Definition" ballyhoo.

Anthony

bgadow
04-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Had forgotten about the "In Stereo" bits at the opening of shows. NBC, again, was big on that, IIRC. That seemed like a big deal in the mid-80s, although I didn't have a stereo tv. Indeed, I think the only stereo tv setup in my families circle of friends was one couple with an early 70s XL100 console with a new Sears stereo VCR hooked into their stereo. I do recall when the local CBS affliate started stereo broadcasting, and the ad promo they did for it showed a (then) top of the line Zenith console.

frenchy
04-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I think I remember Leno plugging RCA's stereo tvs on stage when it was still a novelty...or was it Letterman? Carson? Leno seems to late for this to have been him, I don't know why I seem to be remembering that. Maybe it was Letterman plugging RCA stereo TVs while he was still on NBC??....Frenchy

old_tv_nut
04-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Don't recall the stereo TVs being plugged on the Tonight show, but I do know that it was the first NBC studio to be modified and first daily NBC program to be done in stereo. Now the Tonight show also has been NBC's experimental platform for daily live (well, tape-delayed, anyway) HDTV.

TV stereo has stage-size mismatch problems if you have a small screen - enough speaker separation for decent stereo and the sound image is much wider than the picture; or use the built-in speakers and get little or no stereo effect. But with a large wide screen, the stereo/picture combo can be great. So, IMO, stereo TV was too early, and mainly something to put on the set hang-tag to keep up with the competition. Now it's being supplanted by digital and 5.1 surround, and I wonder if anyone would care if existing analog broadcasts were in mono (at least those not listening on external speakers)?

frenchy
04-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Now I'm thinking it was Letterman, on the Late Night on NBC, Dave would have an RCA or GE tv (whoever owned NBC at the time!) with the new stereo onstage and used it as a prize for audience members or something like that, in a humorous way of course. Wow that must have been what, about 1986? I remember first show I heard in stereo was Miami Vice when the family bought our first stereo tv, a Mitsubishi, was very cool indeed with the soundtrack on that show.....Frenchy

blue_lateral
04-16-2005, 01:17 AM
I guess you could say I was an "early adopter" of stereo tv. I was a real MTV nut back in the early 80's (MTV was a very different animal than it is today). In this area, the cable company did FM simulcast. There was 2 channels, one for MTV, the other for any stereo program they decided to broadcast. There werent many other programs. All you needed was a stereo. I heard there was stereo TV broadcasting going on in some of the major cities, but they still hadn't hashed out what the standard would be for sure.

When a standard was finally adopted, suddenly network tv, and MTV were in real stereo tv. I went out and bought a "tv stereo" tuner at rat shack. It has an analog dial and a tuning knob. I know it sounds really impractical, but if you were recieving stereo tv in this area, you had cable. If you had cable, you had a cable box, if you had a cable box, you could just leave the rat shack thing on channel 3. It worked great. It even sounded pretty good.

old _tv_nut said ... TV stereo has stage-size mismatch problems if you have a small screen - enough speaker separation for decent stereo and the sound image is much wider than the picture; or use the built-in speakers and get little or no stereo effect.

Very true. Someone would walk across the screen, and they would be walking across your whole house, taking about 8 foot steps. It was like the tv producers were trying to make the stereo part do stunts. It was extremely annoying to listen to on stuff like sitcoms. I was back to mono in a hurry for anything that wasnt music.

jc

bgadow
04-16-2005, 11:08 PM
This reminds me that for many years there was a country music video show on every week, on Maryland Public Television IIRC. It was hosted by one of the DJ's on WPOC-FM Baltimore, and the station simulcasted the show so you could hear it in stereo.

heathkit tv
04-17-2005, 02:12 AM
In the mid/late 80's I had one of those Rat Shack stereo whosits for the TV so I could listen to stereo thru my hi-fi system. When watching Miami Vice I swear I heard some surround sound when they were shooting machine guns....could even make out the brass clinkng on the ground.

Anthony

blue_lateral
04-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Worked pretty good, huh? I still have it. It's completely useless today because just about any VCR has a stereo tuner. I got one of those JVC VCRs with the time base corrector. Works with roundies. :D

David Roper
04-17-2005, 02:49 AM
I had F.R.E.D. -- the Friendly Recoton Entertainment Decoder which I believe was a product of Rhodes. It did not need its own tuner. It had to be attached--but not actually connected-- to the TV set. Instead it picked up the set's audio IF from a little probe. It worked perfectly, and since my TV set had a stereo receiver built in (yeah turntable and all, one of those) it went from a mono to stereo a TV by changing nothing but a pair of cables. This was early in 1987, shortly after the local NBC affiliate became the first in the area broadcasting in stereo.

blue_lateral
04-17-2005, 03:06 AM
Perfect solution for a combo! :thmbsp: What did you have to do with the probe? Strap it to the sound if tube or something?

andy
04-17-2005, 11:16 AM
---