View Full Version : Black and white to color conversion

RetroHacker
03-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Didn't make much progress on anything today, but I did get a little cleaning in the basement done, and in the process, unearthed some junk parts, leftover bits and broken stuff that really has no use. But, amongst the debris, I had a junker 12" Zenith black and white solid state portable. Nothing special really, a grungy, beat-up early 80's television, antenna broken off, scraped up, destined for the trash. So, I took it upon myself to do some upgrading and repairing. I have successfully converted the Zenith to receive in color. Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy - it actually gets pretty good reception with no antenna, on one channel anyway. The color reproduction is somewhat limited due to the parts I had to work with, but it is definitely producing that color - the photos have not been doctored in any way. The television's chassis is mostly original, only a couple small modifications and repairs were necessary to get this to work.

What do you think?

-Ian

Sandy G
03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Uhhhhh, OK...How does it do on Red & Blue? Got the green down REAL well....-Sandy G.

Chad Hauris
03-09-2005, 07:22 AM
How'd you do that...did you replace the CRT with a computer CRT like from an Apple monitor?

mbates14
03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
probably lol. considering a color CRT would NEVER fit that cabnet.

bgadow
03-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I get it...its not really a Zenith, you put that nameplate over top of the real maker's name...HOFFMAN!

maxm
03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
If you got a set with a red tube and one with a blue tube (If such things exist), and added a contraption of mirrors, you could have a full color image... :scratch2:

RetroHacker
03-09-2005, 08:59 PM
How'd you do that...did you replace the CRT with a computer CRT like from an Apple monitor?

Yeah :)

Actually, it's the tube from an IBM 5151 computer monitor. It's pretty similar to the tube that is _supposed_ to go in that set, I just had to make some small adjustments to get the picture to show up clearly. The contrast isn't that great, but it works. The long-persistance phospher adds some interesting effects to scenes with motion too. I just thought I'd post some pictures of it, and see what people thought of it. I mean, it *is* a color conversion, I just didn't say *which* color I converted it to...

Yeah, I know it's pretty useless, and it's not terribly watchable, but that isn't the point. Although I'm pretty sure that it's the only television set with WordPerfect screen burn though.

-Ian

wa2ise
03-09-2005, 09:40 PM
If you had a CRT with red phospers only, you could create a TV set for the old communist bloc of nations (USSR, Red China, etc). :lmao:

peverett
03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
I have some Hoffman "Easy Vision" televisions from the 1950s. I have never seen one like this!!!

old_tv_nut
03-10-2005, 08:58 AM
SICK
SICK
SICK

But I like it.... :yes:

veg-o-matic
03-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey, at least it's LOLLIPOP COLOR!

kc8adu
03-10-2005, 04:09 PM
had a sears binoc years ago that a customer brought in with a busted tube.
only thing i could find that fit at mendelsons was a green monitor crt.
the customer wanted a cheap fix and didnt care.
so if you see a green binoc you know where it came from

NowhereMan 1966
03-13-2005, 09:10 PM
That looks neat and different. I did something similar when I used my VCR as a tuner and fed the signal into my Apple //e monitor and the audio into a stereo. Well at least I had "instant TV" with a green picture similar to yours.

Charlie
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Ian:

You must be the ONLY person in the world that took a worn-out "headed for the trash" 80's b&w portable and took the time to put a green computer monitor crt in it just for the hell of it... knowing it really wouldnt be something you'd used to watch tv on! Man, i wish i had your kind of spare time! :D

In any case, that's quite unique and pretty freakin cool looking! It certainly shows you've got imagination for something different! :yes:

wa2ise
06-24-2005, 05:05 PM
You must be the ONLY person in the world that took a worn-out "headed for the trash" 80's b&w portable and took the time to put a green computer monitor crt in it just for the hell of it... knowing it really wouldnt be something you'd used to watch tv on! Man, i wish i had your kind of spare time! :D

RCA had a patent dealing with raster scanned computer monitors. Specifically the patent was on how to have a small ROM based look-up table for the font used to form letters and numbers of the stuff to be displayed on the monitor screen. They invented it back around 1970 (RCA was in the computer business for a while back then). And many other companies did the same thing later to build video computer displays. In the 80's RCA sued everyone for patent infringement. I worked for RCA then, at their Sarnoff research lab, and someone I knew had the assignment to demonstrate how the infringing equipment worked to show the judge in court. To bring this on topic, one of the demos was to show that the video display was in fact raster scan, and he showed TV show video on the computer screen to do that. Probably in green.... :D

frenchy
07-02-2005, 03:03 AM
This is probably a dumb question based on lack of knowledge about color combining, but would it be possible to put a slightly tinted film over it of a certain tint like orange, or brown, or yellow or something, like a complimentary color, and it would end up being more of a light brown or at least less green and closer to neutral? Ok, end of dumbness....

David Roper
07-02-2005, 05:14 AM
I think a Purple filter would have the best chance of looking greyish.

frenchy
07-02-2005, 01:10 PM
I think a Purple filter would have the best chance of looking greyish.

Would be interesting if he plays around with this for the heck of it and sees whether, or how much, the green can indeed be un-green-ified! Even if it worked the brightness would go down but who cares, crank it up. Purple huh? Yup like I said it would probably have to be a very light tint, whatever the color, or you will end up just changing it to that color and cutting the brightness even more...Frenchy

old_tv_nut
07-04-2005, 10:38 AM
The green phosphor is a fairly saturated color, which means it has green, some yellow-green and some blue-green wavelengths, not much else. So you could reduce the brightness and shift it somewhat towards blue or yellow, but not much more unless you made it really dim.

Richard D
07-16-2005, 09:49 PM
On Steady-cam mount systems after the camera man puts on the rig over the shoulders and straps it on, he is looking down waist level at VERY bright 4 0r 5 inch monitor with green phosphers so when he is in bright sunlight he can still see what the steady-cam camera sees. The pro models of steady-cams start at $20,000. That was 10 years ago. My 2 cents, Richard.