View Full Version : Wards Ariline console radio information / question?

braillediver
03-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I came across an old radio and wondered if anyone had any opinions about it?
Is this good, bad, ridiculous? I don’t see many of them and would like to start somewhere.

“Wards Ariline console radio. Built around 1935. Case is in good shape. Radio works, but will need some adjustment to improve reception. $125.00 OBO”

Is it worth looking at? I'm an electronics technician and would like an old radio to fix up. Are there other models I should consider?

Thanks Mitch

Chad Hauris
03-05-2005, 01:09 PM
These old radios are usually built with high quality...replacing the old paper and electrolytic capacitors, replacing brittle old wiring, and sometimes replacing burned or off tolerance resistors should get it going good. Would not recommend operating it on old parts even if it works because you could have a breakdown or short...best to service it even if it works.
Montgomery Wards radios were usually of a medium price range....not usually the ultimate in fancyness but not low quality.
It seems like Philco's can sometimes be a little more complicated to work on...but just about any 30's brand I've encountered has been fairly straightforward to repair.
$125.00 may be a little high...you may be able to find a similar radio for less, but it doesn't seem too bad, especially if there are no other old radios around your area.

bgadow
03-05-2005, 09:38 PM
If the cabinet is real nice that is a large part of the value, most of the value I guess. The price is in line with "book value" but I'm too cheap to ever pay that kind of money! But I don't think you could go wrong here. Wards sourced a large percentage of their radios from Wells-Gardner, who built straightforward, solid performing sets. Airlines aren't usually as attractive as Sears Silvertones but I like them.

Sandy G
03-05-2005, 10:07 PM
I've got a '33 Airline that was made by W/G, 9 tube, & it's a very good performing set. 'Twould be nice if you could get the model #-how many legs does it have? I think their fancy sets had 6-mine does.-Sandy G.

asynchronousman
03-08-2005, 03:06 AM
I've got a 62-267 Movie Dial with no film (Wells-Gardiner) that needs restoring, if anyone is interested...Eastern Oregon near Boise, Idaho