View Full Version : Hello To All!

newtvdude
02-25-2005, 07:49 PM
:banana:
This is my first post. I have just received my first vintage television. I got an RCA color console tv. It is a model HM-819 "The Nordholm". The lady was moving and said that it was going in the trash if I didn't want it. It has the AM/FM Tuner on the right and the record player on the left. She was the original owner and saved the manual, schematic (for a CTC40 chassis) and even the RCA Trans Vista tag that hung down from the knob in the showroom! The cabinet is scrached and faded, and one leg is broken off, but it seems to be in fairly good shape. All the knobs are there (one is broke, but the broken off piece is still there.

I really would like to get a GE color console that I had when I was young. My father purchased it around 1966-1968 and it was very beautiful, with a door that covered the tv, and you pulled it up and slid it above the television like an old style garage door! My mom still has super 8 film of her opening it up for the first time with the TV on to a real color tv show (I think that it was Bewitched). Ah.. The Good Ol' Days...

Celt
02-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Cool. Welcome aboard! :wave:

Sandy G
02-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Welcome to AK !! A number of us suffer from the Old TV "affliction"...-Sandy G.

veg-o-matic
02-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Hmmm. I seem to remember a GE set like you described being discussed a while ago here. Someone selling on ebay for too much money.
IIRC, Captainmoody tried to dicker with the owner when it didn't sell?
Or do I need to increase my dosage? :screwy:

colortrakker
02-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I remember! I think the ownder relented a little and Captain actually got it. But who am I to butt in? Off to search for that thread so I don't come across like a complete idiot...

colortrakker
02-25-2005, 10:35 PM
AHA! Got the thread. Does this set (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20267&highlight=ebay) look familiar?

bgadow
02-25-2005, 11:04 PM
That CTC-40 sounds like the one Tony V has. I wonder how its coming? I have a soft spot for those GE's myself. The first tv we had when I was a kid was a late 60s GE color console; I had a table model a little older, a real hulk; my aunt had a little newer model with the standard type of doors which my uncle later gutted to fit a new set. I also had one for a short while that came from the dump, and in elementry school one of the sets was a GE 25" color. All thanks to the only tv shop in our small town being primarily a GE dealer. (he sold other brands as well but he really pushed those GE's. My dad tried to buy a Zenith from him and he talked dad out of it) If I found the right set I would have to save it.

Charlie
02-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Welcome to AK newtvdude! I think you'll find that we have a fine class of people around here. Looking forward to you increasing your collection to the point of nearly having to sleep on top of your console due to all of the sets you bring home... like many of us have done! :D

newtvdude
02-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Yes indeed, that is the TV that I grew up with, except that ours had the AM/FM on the right and the Phono on the left. Here is the story...

It was cold and dark that evening in 1965. My Father was rushing my mother to the hospital with contractions. Well, he didn't see the other car and there was a terrible accident. My mom was injured and lost the baby. My father (even though we were of modest means) in order to make my mom's recouperation at home easier purchased the best TV that the store had to offer which was the GE. The TV worked seemed to have its share of issues, but was lovingly taken care of. Sometimes (because we didn't have the money for repairs) we would watch it even though the picture was only in green tints! I remember though that we kept the tv until after I left for college and eventually the military. Mom later said that the TV had quit and the repairman could no longer get parts for it, so she either sold it or gave it away. I was really supprised and shocked (and quite hurt, as my brothers and I were never allowed to touch it unless my father would shout out to "turn the channel" or "focus it!" meaning fine tune it). I guess you could say that we kids were the real first wireless remote control!

The TV part is exact. Thanks for bringing back the bittersweet memories of those long off days :yes: Is there any way that I could find out what the chassis number or model number is? It will help me find another one.

andy
02-26-2005, 12:11 AM
Here's a scan of the "Nordholm" from an RCA catalog. It's a nice looking set for a combo. It was one of the second from the top of the line TV/Radio/Phono models.

newtvdude
02-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Yes indeed, that is the one from the lady who wanted to toss it out! The leg that I mentioned she saved, and I will need to reattach it (the front left one if you are looking at the picture tube). I would like to bring it back to its former glory, as it reminds me of the GE set that I wrote of earlier, as well as being a stylish set in its own right. The lady who gave it to me owns a childrens petting zoo, and many "critters" were living in close proximity to the console. She was using it as a stand for her aquarium. Anyway, thank you very much for the picture and information!