View Full Version : What do you do w/ all your TV's?

mg196
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Just wondering what all of you TV collectors do with your collections. It isn't like you can bring 'em up to the attic to keep 'em out of your way or hide them from the wife!

Tell me!!

Oh, if I should add another option or two, lemme know!!!

heathkit tv
02-23-2005, 01:32 PM
I have some at home, one at a friend's, and several in storage. Doesn't matter how much room you have as crap tends to fill any area exponentially regardless of what space is available!

Anthony

Tony V
02-23-2005, 04:11 PM
MG...you left one very important selection out of your poll. Some of us actually use them. Since i'm going by the topic header on the topic page and not the different topic that you have inside i'll answer it like this. Speaking for myself, i just pick one out of the collection and play old tv programs or movies from the era that the tv was made and have fun being transported back to an earlier time. Its a good way to keep them up to snuff and have fun at the same time. Where do i keep them? I keep them wherever i can find the room but have them arranged in such a way that i have access to all of them if i want to play one. I also have them arranged in such away where none of them run the risk of being damaged. Mine are restorations not just something to collect and then stack like firewood. When space eventually gets too tight i will sell one before i bring another one in. Some of the guys do this anyway to fund the restoration on their next project.
-Tony

mg196
02-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey Tony V, I guess option 1 would qualify for "using 'em." If you have the space, might as well plug 'em in, right?!

Tony V
02-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Mg,
I guess that would be right for some of us but so far i'm fortunate enough to have room where i dont have to stack them yet. I guess all of us at some point or another will end up having to stack a few as our collection grows whether its tv's, audio equipment or so fourth. The main thing is to have fun with your collection whatever it may be.
-Tony

P.S. If i plugged them all in and turned them all on at the same time there would be no need to heat the house otherwise :D

Sandy G
02-24-2005, 06:48 PM
I'd someday like to get a bunch of TVs-K-Mart/Wally World junque mind you, & either do an Ant Farm Big Media Burn, ora "Secret Life of Machines" send off for 'em. The Big Media Burn, they piled a bunch of operating-barely- TVs up in a pile, set 'em on fire, & then ran a 1959 Cadillac right thru the middle of 'em. This was in the early '70s, when '59 Caddies were regarded w/utter contempt, I think now, you'd have to get a good poor-white-trash 1985 model. Remember "The Secret Life of Machines" send-off? Same basic idea, except no '59 Caddy. But that host sat there w/a particularly evil grin on his face, & you could watch the poor tellies fizz & die as they got immolated in the reflections on his glasses...Heheheheh....-Sandy G.

mg196
02-24-2005, 07:46 PM
I remember when our Zenith console blew, my mom put a smaller b&w on top of it to keep my brother and I pacified. She hated having one TV on top of the other and said it looked like a hillbilly house!

Sandy G
02-24-2005, 09:27 PM
...And just WHAT is wrong w/a "Hillbilly House" ?!? <grin>-Sandy G.

bgadow
02-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I have 2 rooms to devote to my radio/tv collection and Mrs. Gadow, who has been very generous to me, sez thats all I get! I have some stacked 3 high, like a CTC-5 with an Emerson 21" table set on top and a Portacolor on top of that. I refuse to stack consoles and hope I never have to resort to that. (I have done it before, when I was a teenager and had a better back!) One of my rooms is full of radios and just some smaller tv sets, its upstairs and I can't be toting color roundies up there! I do try hard to make the collection look presentable, and to not hide any set from view, though right now there are a couple blocked in. I need to part with one or two but hate to do it. And, yeah, I like to USE them, though its hard because there are too many other things I'd rather do than watch tv. And if I turn on a color roundie, thats it. I'm mesmorized. I turned on the CTC12 the other night for some reason and ended up sitting there for 2 hours glued to the screen, not because the program was anything great but because the picture just looked so nice.

mg196
02-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey Mr. Gadow, how about a picture?!

colortrakker
02-25-2005, 09:28 PM
I'll give you some extra points if that pic contains the Porta-Color (assuming it's fixed yet)! :D

bgadow
02-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Mrs. might be camera shy! Portacolor is not, though! Keep your eyes on the Horizontal Hold photos section early this week, as soon as I remember to bring home the camera...