View Full Version : ctc-7

wiseguy
12-04-2002, 06:23 PM
tomorrow after work i will hop in my avalanche and take a drive to kansas (from madison,wisconsin area) to pick up a RCA CTC-7 that i won on e-bay,long drive,hope it has a good CRT!!.. my luck there will be a snowstorm,wish me luck on driving there,i hope to be back on friday mid afternoon..
hehehe..:)
terry

Rob
12-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Terry,

Good luck and have a safe and storm free trip! May 21FYP22 getters be silver and emissions be balanced and high.

Rob

wiseguy
12-06-2002, 09:11 PM
hey guys,i finally made it back from kansas,this set looks real nice,
the crt does test fine,that is one of the first things i did , i powered it up a few mins ago,it does have HV,but i did notice the h-out was turing red..time to pull the chassis and recap,this is what all this hobby is about..:),it looks untouched and almost all tubes are RCA,except the focus rect,someone had replaced the 1V2 with a 2AV2...this could not be a common sub..??,any one have any input about this.. just curious.. i am tired.. so a bottle of wine before bed..then wakeup fresh..(hehe) and take out the chasiss and see what caps i can replace..
thanks guys!
terry

Eric H
12-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Good score Terry, sounds like a low mileage set!
Mine has about 300,000 on it I think :p:

How can that 2AV2 possibly work right with half the heater voltage on it? I have lots of 1V2's if you need one.

When will we see some pictures? :D

Eric

Rob
12-07-2002, 12:11 AM
Welcome back Terry,

Sounds like you did good! :) Can't wait to hear and see more.

Rob

wiseguy
12-07-2002, 07:48 PM
well,the cabinet is not as good as i wanted..i picked up the set in the dark and examined it in the garage this morning in day light,the top has a lot of marks and a tad of peeling..no rust or corrosion though!!
i have been replacing those odd value caps in the vert section,and
in the horiz drive and hv area,interesting how those old caps test within the correct value.... fresh caps work the best..i have to order a lot of .047 mfd's and a lot of those!
later guys
terry

wiseguy
12-10-2002, 06:53 PM
hi guys.. here is what i got so far on the ctc-7 i picked up,i still have about all of the .047mfd caps to replace yet and a bad 6bn8,and others.. if you notice the left side is green is because i have one of the .047 caps cut in the drive circuit..i hope to have the rest of parts tomorrow...
i have the safety glass and brass parts removed for cleaning..
this totally different than my CT-100..(which works great)
:)
terry

wiseguy
12-11-2002, 05:04 PM
fresh pic,still got lots to do,have a bad v centering control,interesting,this is the early ctc-7 (1957..),uses the 3.58 xstal in a glass tube...
i am happy i am this far..
terry

Charlie
12-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Lookin good, Terry! :)

Eric H
12-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Terry, that looks real good!

Now jump in your truck and drive out here to california and get mine working :D

Rob
12-11-2002, 11:14 PM
Terry,

Fantastic! You sure do nice work. :)

Rob

Kirk
12-13-2002, 08:41 PM
That's a great "Anderson" you have there. The CTC 7 is a great chasis and the standard for the 9, 10,ad 11.

I just finished my Andeson this year, and am currently working on a CTC7 AC "Pensbury" model.

I see from your posts that you have a CT-100. It must have been a great experience restoring it.

I'll post some pictures soon!

Kirk
12-27-2002, 09:16 PM
Here are a few friends for Terry's CTC7. An early "Anderson" CTC 7 and the later "Pensbury" CTC 7AC.

Rob
12-27-2002, 10:00 PM
Kirk,

Those sets are beautys! I really like the Pensbury to the right. I see you have the same wooden box RCA UHF converter as me.

Ever consider how impossible it would be to set up a wall of these early color TV's so their color temperatures, etc., all tracked like they do in the big electronics superstores? Heck, it is hard to do with just two of these vintage color sets! In fact forget tracking, just try to get several all working at the same time! :)

I tried to capture that stunt here with a CTC-16A and a CTC-20, but my digital camera saturated on the highlights.

Rob

opt80
12-29-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi Rob

I do'nt Know anything about vintage tvs or moderm ones for that matter but the ones you have posted are beautiful.Wow ,what memories,they bring me back to my youth.thanks

Best regards

Alan

Rob
12-29-2002, 01:30 PM
Alan,

Glad you enjoyed the photo. That working CTC-20 (1966 RCA NewVista) on the right had a badly cataracted CRT that I successfully gave eye surgery. The CRT was electrically as good as new. This is the set that made my avatar. It is the last model RCA made with the venerable 21" round tube. As the collectors here know, it is kind of a nostalgic blast from the past to watch some of the early color shows on one of these vintage sets from the same era when they were new. I like to watch the original StarTrek episodes on this CTC-20. That show was produced I believe in the same year that this set was made.

Rob

opt80
12-29-2002, 04:06 PM
WOW,that would be cool watching vintage on vintage,I liked your

cataract analogy,

best

Alan

Rob
12-29-2002, 05:38 PM
Here is that CTC-20 before eye surgery as it looked when I first got it home.

Rob

opt80
12-29-2002, 07:10 PM
Rob,you actually cleaned up all that opacity,how would you do that,wouldn't alot of elbow grease scratch the crt(see I'm learning something)?

Regards
Alan

Rob
12-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Alan,

The safety faceplate is a separate sheet of glass bonded to the CRT face like an automobile windshield with a sandwich of plastic resin. This resin develops mold or turns yellow on many of these tubes. You have to physically carve/dissolve the film out from under the glass by working around in from the edge. It is very tedious, painstaking and dangerous work due to risk of implosion. There are almost 3 tons of air pressure on the faceplate. Once removed and surfaces cleaned spotless I re-attach the safey glass using a bead of RTV silicone around the outside edge and an airgap between the glass surfaces the thickness of a popsicle stick.

Rob

opt80
12-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Rob,

So that is why they say you should replace your TV if the screen becomes deeply scratched...implosion

Fascinating what you do,Rob,I'm in awe!!(awe is just outside of Charlottetown)

Regards

and thanks for the technical stuff

Alan

Rob
12-29-2002, 10:52 PM
Alan,

No big deal. :)

Terry,

I'm sure Kirk, Alan and I didn't mean to hijack your post about your CTC-7, so how about an update oh Restoration Master? :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy:

Rob

opt80
12-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Yes,Sorry , Terry I got a little carried away with the typing and
questions to Rob

Alan

frenchy
08-13-2005, 03:00 PM
well,the cabinet is not as good as i wanted..i picked up the set in the dark and examined it in the garage this morning in day light,the top has a lot of marks and a tad of peeling

If it is not something you can do a simple sanding and restaining/revarnishing on, another option is to sand it down, fill in any deep ruts, and recover it with new unstained 'stick-on' veneer (available in real wood, mahogany, oak etc etc.) Then you just trim it very close to the edges of the cabinet, then use an electric vibrating sander to bevel the edges up to the existing edge of the cabinet.
Stain and varnish it and bingo it's fixed. Have done this on a top and a side of two Victrolas and it came out fantastic and I absolutely HATE carpentry and woodworking, but this is a cinch. And would never know it was done it looks so good. I will have to do this to the rotten top on my CTC-10 once I am done with the electronics end of it.
Crappy cabinet veneer no longer scares me away from purchasing otherwise good items such as tvs and victrolas.
Frenchy

frenchy
08-13-2005, 03:04 PM
And oh yeah, if you do the new veneer thing, varnish or urethane the newly sanded surface first, that way the new veneer will really stick to it. Just make sure you roll and press the veneer down slowly and gradually from one end down the the other (usually easy to do since the veneer comes in rolls and has a bit of curl in it)..Frenchy