View Full Version : Found a Little color Sony, and it is OLD.

rca2000
01-26-2005, 10:39 PM
The model number is KV-9000. I.m guessing around 1972, or so. The CRT appears to be good, I get a good Horizontal line, and it is white, and plenty brightness, so of course I turned it to min. brightness and Picture, till i figure out the vertical problem.

And, it is a weird one! I do have just a line, EXCEPT when i change the channel, or mess with the tuninng, or vertical control. THEN, it opens (not fully, but over halfway, )for a second or two.

i hope I have a manual for this little trinitron. I've got a feeling some caps will need changed.

BTW-- This set has instant on! I noticed the filaments of the crt, and they stay lit, after I turn it off!, I don't see an override switch, either(yet).

This was a garbage find, a couple of subdivisions from my house. It is missing a couple of knobs, and has a cracked place at the bottom of the cabinet, wherethe front seperates from the back, but is otherwise in good shape., it even has the antennas attached to the back.

Any idea of worth, or rarity?

last week, I found a 1960 Admiral 19" BW portable, also near my house, which I will talk more about in the BW section

andy
01-26-2005, 11:37 PM
I have one of those sets and I think I have the service manual if you don't. With a set that age I would start by looking for open caps. It has a nice picture when working. It certainly beats anything else that size in the early 70's.

kc8adu
01-27-2005, 12:51 AM
that set has multiple open caps in the vert.
btw the osc. is unique in using an sbs.
if tube is good they look nice.got one on my computer shop workbench.

Chad Hauris
01-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Do you have a picture of this set...is it a really small set like a 5"? Only sony trinitron I have seen from this era is the 12" or so model.
There were a lot of 70's and early 80's Trinitrons brought in to the recycling days this year, most still working or with only minor problems...and our shop has worked on several 70's and 80's which are still in active use...they seem to have the most longevity among the general public of any brand.

Sandy G
01-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Damn ! I trashed one of those a couple years ago-it was my sister's-'cause the CRT was bad. Perfect cosmetics. They DID have extraordinary pictures...I think it was one of the sets the Trinitron "legend" was built on. And yeah, 1972 seems about right-think my sister got it Christmas '72-Sandy G.

Aage
01-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Do you have a picture of this set...is it a really small set like a 5"? Only sony trinitron I have seen from this era is the 12" or so model.
There were a lot of 70's and early 80's Trinitrons brought in to the recycling days this year, most still working or with only minor problems...and our shop has worked on several 70's and 80's which are still in active use...they seem to have the most longevity among the general public of any brand.

I -think- that it's this one: eBay Item number 5746542831

My memory of this set was that it was more of a showpiece than an hot seller. Price was astronomical.

kc8adu
01-27-2005, 07:57 AM
far too new.
they have mech tuners and are tall .
uhf on side

Chad Hauris
01-27-2005, 08:09 AM
OK I think I remember which one you are thinking of now...I found one for $1.00 at a junk shop in Albany, Ohio...cleaned the tuner and my parents are still using it in their bedroom.

heathkit tv
01-27-2005, 12:07 PM
My Dad bought a new Trinitron about '71 or '72. IIRC the model number was KV-1701 and I can still visualize it down to the smallest detail. It too had the instant on and there was a switch on the back to turn this on or off. The picture was outstanding and seemed sharper than the majority of the competition, but lookng back I suspect that part of the reason he bought it was all the hype surrounding the Trinitrons at that time....plus the reknowned Sony quality (at that time anyway).

Price was around $300 and we got it a discount place in Brooklyn called JGE "What's the stooorrrrryyy Jerry?" Who knows about that? HUGE ad campaign back then in the NYC area.

Anthony

ha1156w
01-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Anyone got a spare they can manage? I think it's an M1548(? don't have number handy) and is about a 16-pin DIP that handles the IF demod. Part has been NLA for quite some time. I've got one that has a good picture but no audio due to this chip being bad. It lives in a shielded can on the board to the left of the CRT when you look at the front. Model KV-9000(U) was what encouraged large adoption of Sony in the US. VHF tuner on the front and a side-mounted continuous UHF. Picture is outstanding for a small set, especially when it was new.

asynchronousman
01-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Pretty sure I threw one away before I knew you or what to do, sometime in 2003 :no: :no: :no:

Sandy G
01-27-2005, 07:58 PM
KV-9000U. That's the one. UHF knob on the side. My sister had it from '72 til 2001 or so when the CRT started to die, as I said. Think it might have taken a lightning hit summer 2001, the same one that got my Yammy, B&O TT, JRC NRD-535D shortwave set & other stuff. Shit, we ended up having to re-wire the house...-Sandy G.

rca2000
01-27-2005, 08:17 PM
And I think it is a 9" screen, I do not think it is 12". IIRC, Sony model #'s are indicative of screen size.

asynchronousman
01-27-2005, 08:26 PM
And I think it is a 9" screen, I do not think it is 12". IIRC, Sony model #'s are indicative of screen size.

KV-1756= KV model 56, 17 inch
KV-1923= KV model 23, 19 inch

later models use nomenclature like this:

KV-19TS20 KV model TS20, 19 inch and that one is a 1991 set with the "new" version Trinitron CRT I would believe but don't quote me...

I don't know how they tag the new models, perhaps I don't care anymore...

Sandy G
01-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, THAT'S a helluva attitude!!! <grin>-Sandy G.

asynchronousman
01-27-2005, 08:49 PM
You've forgotten that I believe Sony Customer Service is the computerized Antichrist basically, and that most of the product line stinks since 1992. Other than that, the company ran quite well until Mr. Morita passed away and the company was overrun by poor management. 4 years ago I could call a regional service center and talk to somebody in charge who knew what I wanted. I get the same computer telling me to get the "learning remote" and enter the codes for a remote I DON'T HAVE and want to emulate without spending $80 for something that doesn't have all the code routines...fark the Darth Vaio speech recognition that reduces my last name DINIUS to GJFXRQ too.

Sandy G
01-28-2005, 09:24 AM
That's a shame- Sony has forgotten what Mr Morita taught-innovative products, generally good quality,second-to-none customer service. Sony stuff was always a little more expensive, but I always felt you got a little more for your money, too. Sony products in the '60s & '70s in my experience, didn't give much trouble, but if they did, you could take 'em into a Sony Authorised Repair Center & they'd be fixed, toot sweet.-Sandy G.

andy
01-28-2005, 10:42 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=427719

It looks like even Sony is finally admitting that they've been having problems recently. I've always thought it was a bad idea for electronics companies to also own music and movie production companies. In the past the electronics companies like Sony fought on the side of the customer for easier access to media (remember Betamax vs Universal?). Now they're in with each other to make the customer pay more and jump through more hoops to listen to music, or watch a movie.

They have been putting profit and market share over innovation for years. They can make more money on junky compact stereos than on high quality, innovative products, but it's gradually turning their name into junk.

jstout66
01-28-2005, 11:10 AM
I would have to agree. Sony products I believe into the late 80's were pretty good, but complete overpriced crap now. ALL of their product line.... JUNK! I was stupid enough to buy a 24" Sony Wega set and I returned it in 2 days because the picture was too dark (even with the brightness maxed) and I found out what a high failure/return rate that model had, so there will be no Sony products in my future.

heathkit tv
01-29-2005, 04:21 AM
I've heard nothing but problems with late model Sony TVs, but so far have been very fortunate with the Wega flatscreen I bought several years ago. It was a floor model/demonstrator so I guess it proved it's reliability before I bought it. I tend to leave all the TVs I've owned on nearly around the clock when I'm home and sleep with it on so they end up seeing LOTS of hours of use. All my previous Zeniths have lasted about 10 years each and so far this Sony has been a goody.

Anthony

andy
01-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I think Sony still makes some good products, but they also make a LOT of crap. Most of Sony's TVs are still pretty good. They made some sets in the mid 90's with cheap CRTs, but they seem to have stopped that.

I hate most of their home audio products though. They are very easily damaged and when a pair of outputs shorts, they take a lot of parts with them. They also have driver ICs which should be attached to a heat sink, but aren't. They get too hot to touch and desolder themselves after a few years.

Needless to say, their all in one systems are real crap.

Am I the only one who finds their current 5.1 receivers really really ugly?

heathkit tv
01-30-2005, 01:50 PM
The one consistent thing I hate about Sonys are that there are more confusing buttons on their remote controls than the Space Shuttle has on the instrument panel! Plus the fact that there are components that MUST be replaced with genuine Sony parts or the unit won't work quite right....pretty sneaky, especially considering that these same parts are greatly overpriced compared to the aftermarket version.

Anthony

andy
01-30-2005, 02:44 PM
I've actually never had any trouble replacing parts in Sony TVs with parts not ordered from Sony, or even substitutes that have similar specs. I've heard of such problems, but never seen them first hand.

I agree that Sony parts are usually over priced. I just paid almost $30 for an antenna for a KV-5100 5" set I'm restoring. I'm amazed an antenna for a 30 year old TV is still available though! Video heads for their high end Betamax VCRs are also way overpriced. Any 4 head drum will cost well over $200 now and there are no generic subs. On the other hand, I was able to buy a 20" CRT from them for only $35 about 10 years ago.

asynchronousman
02-13-2005, 10:54 PM
At the thrift store, I spotted a model KV-1214? (solid state) with horizontal out and showing some sign of the scan beating to the audio (which was excellent). I could think the CRT was OK in that the generally bad scrambling of the picture had enough detail of colors that when I compared it to the video I knew in my mind it looked likely to be good.

If there it's $10. It sat next to a 13" Sharp Linytron with rotary tuning and a great picture so that's bound to cause agony if both are still there.

BTW the Trinitron had a non-standard plug in antenna, not spades or cable/"F"/BNC connectors.

Chad Hauris
02-14-2005, 07:41 AM
On the old Trinitrons the rabbitears antenna has a dual banana-plug type plug that fit into the antenna binding posts..it also is nice to have the thumbscrew binding posts for the antenna.

asynchronousman
02-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Aye...it's all there :) and I'll get back to it here or there down the road when it's time to repair it.