View Full Version : Philco Score ?????

grumpy
11-30-2002, 04:26 PM
I just picked this one up. Kam is trying to help me indentify it but hes not sure what it is as of now. The chassis is marked 16X theres a label on the inside of the cabinet that says model 16. heres some pics. If anyone has any info please forward it to Kam or I. Thanks

Grumpy

grumpy
11-30-2002, 04:27 PM
nuther

grumpy
11-30-2002, 04:30 PM
more

grumpy
11-30-2002, 04:31 PM

grumpy
11-30-2002, 04:34 PM
last one.

Kamakiri
11-30-2002, 07:18 PM
I'm believing now that this is the early version of the 16, a 1934 model as opposed to the Model 16 of 1935. Those rosette knobs are a dead giveaway. Couldn't find my Philco book, but that HAS to be it.

You'll do quite well with that one :)

Rob
11-30-2002, 07:48 PM
Grumpy,

Nice score! I hope you plan to keep it.

Tim,

If it is 1934, how can you explain Philco calling themselves a "Radio and Television Corporation" as seen on one of the decals???

Was Philco involved in mechanical TV? I shud know this.

Rob

Kamakiri
11-30-2002, 09:51 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but if you remember we happened to stumble on something where Philco was underwriting some of Farnsworth's work early on. I believe there might have been one Philco prewar, but don't quote me on that.

millerdog
12-01-2002, 03:48 AM
My guide says 1933 Philco, broadcast, shortwave, with four knobs. Nice radio! I'd keep it.
md

grumpy
12-01-2002, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys. As much as I like this Radio theres no room in my tiny house for it. Im still trying to decide if I want to deal with Ebay for selling this one. I would like to find out it an estimate of its worth before sellingit tho.

Grumpy

Rob
12-01-2002, 08:50 AM
Grumpy,

If space is a problem I'm sure you could find someone to store it for you for no charge. I'd volunteer but have no room myself with all my vintage TV's and now trying to find display room for a new line of custom designed loudspeakers.

Why not see if anyone else here at AK would be interested in storing it for you. I'm serious! You should not sell this valuable antique. Whatever $$$$ you get for it will be all gone in a month and then what will you have?

Rob

THOR
12-01-2002, 09:10 AM
More audio stuff ;) :D

grumpy
12-01-2002, 09:14 AM
Rob

I have considered keeping the philco for myself, unfortunately it took a good chunk of my audio gear budget to purchase it. Keeping it is not completely out of the question but its not looking good. I already tried to get Kam to take the Philco that way I know its would go to some one who would appreciate it allot more then me.

Grumpy

Rob
12-01-2002, 09:22 AM
Grump,

I happen to know that Kam hasn't got the room for it either! :(
Good luck whatever you do.

Rob

millerdog
12-02-2002, 02:28 AM
My old Bunis guide says that Philco would go for around $100-$125, but again it's an old guide.
Hope this helps.
md

PHILCO RESTORER
12-11-2002, 07:32 AM
Hi Grumpy,
I'm new to this Forum. The cabinet
is an 1933 18X Philco !
not a 16X but I can't explain the Chassis

grumpy
12-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Hi PR

Welcome aboard and thanks for the info to. Kamakiri was telling me he thought pretty much the same as you. If this is true and its two different years mushed together is it possible that its a factory job or do you think that someone along the line pieced it together. I only ask cuz in my limited space my wife says its got to go. Just trying to figure out do I sell it as a whole or seperate the chassis form the cabinet. I hate to gut it but I do need to sell it. Thanks

Grumpy

millerdog
12-11-2002, 10:18 PM
I got a listing for a '34 18MX, but it says only two vertical bars in front.
Philco, I am interested in your reference. I guess I need to update mine:(
by the way Grumpy, how tubes in that puppy? The 16x has 11, the 18MX says only 8. Between the three of us, we should be able to nail it down.
md

(edit: what does it recieve? broadcast or BC and shortwave?)

PHILCO RESTORER
12-12-2002, 06:10 AM
Hi Guys,
What that cabinet is, is an 18X, a 1933-34 model, the 18MX is a 1935 model. The 16 chassis has 11 tubes and the 18 has 8 tubes. With PHILCO it’s not a matter of nailing down a model, because what ever they had left over they used. Even if it was a matter of using the top of one and the lower of another, and it was the same with the chassis. PHILCO was a VERY good company, what they had they used, and if they had a problem, they tried to repair it right away, that’s why you had so many bulletins. They were NOT like GM and Ford.
THE PHILCO RESTORER

wvsaz
12-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Rob

Tim,

If it is 1934, how can you explain Philco calling themselves a "Radio and Television Corporation" as seen on one of the decals???

Was Philco involved in mechanical TV? I shud know this.

Rob

Rob,

In 1931, Philco decided to get involved with television. They did so by a contract with Philo Farnsworth and his associates, who moved to Philadelphia with their families. Philco became the first licensee of the Farnsworth system, and their experimental TV station W3XE, located at the factory, went on air in 1932 with electronic scanning (Farnsworth never used mechanical TV). :)

RCA began picking up Philco's TV transmissions at their factory across the river in Camden, and there were immediate repercussions. At the time, Philco's transmissions were technically superior to RCA's. Since RCA was involved in a lawsuit with Farnsworth over TV patents, RCA gave Philco an ultimatum that if the TV transmissions continued, RCA would not renew Philco's licenses for the use of RCA's radio patents. Since Philco was the largest U.S. radio manufacturer, they were forced to shut down the TV project. :(

After the lawsuit was settled between Farnsworth and RCA in 1939, Philco resumed TV transmissions and W3XE affiliated with NBC, carrying programs from New York via the AT&T coaxial cable installed in 1936. A commercial license was granted in 1941 and W3XE became WPTZ (channel 3). By this time they were using the 525-line NTSC b&w system.

Tom Bavis
12-26-2002, 10:29 PM
If it's a Philco 16 chassis, it would (unfortunately) sell for more than the whole thing. The 16 was one of the best performers Philco (or anyone!) ever built. It's the curse of consoles - few have room for another one, so even beautiful pieces like this don't go for much. Though Zeniths that can't hold a candle to this one still seem to bring quite a bit...

grumpy
12-26-2002, 10:38 PM
Thank you for the info. Is there anyway to positively indentify the chassis as a 16 or ?

grumpy

moondog
12-27-2002, 08:09 PM
I love those old radios. Very cool cabinet too. Kind of art-deco-ish.
Might be a silly question, but does it still work?

mOOn

paulsradios
09-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum here and came across it while searching for info on the 16X. Just this weekend I picked up a model 16 (16X?) in a cabinet just like the one referred to in this thread, with the exception that it has a true model 16 escutcheon (not the fancy one shown in the thread). It's definitely the model 16 chassis, being the early version with 5-bands and quieting (squelch) control. Everything looks totally original with the cabinet, right down to the cut-out and screw holes for the escutcheon, the cut-out and right-side mounted squelch switch and the labels attached inside the cabinet.

I can only assume, as someone stated earlier, that it is factory original and that Philco was using up what it had or maybe that is was a special order?

Paul