View Full Version : Western Auto Color

Charlie
01-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Here's another roundie I hauled from the old shop. Truetone model 2DC1667E... in Sams 998-2. Looks like this one was also one of the last roundies... the Sams is from 1968. I've also found a couple of date codes inside that appear to be from '68.

The cabinet is the fake wood stuff, however, it's in fairly good condition. This set had a piece of cardboard on top of it with a 25" Silvertone parked on top.

The chassis is a CTC15 clone that looks like it should clean up pretty good. Most of the tubes have been replaced... i think I saw maybe 5 Truetone tubes in it. It appears this set has the "instant on" feature. I noticed there is a switch on the back of the chassis near the service switch that says "vacation". I'm just guessing... it probably turns off the instant on feature. The flyback in this set has been changed. It has a really nice, clean, heavy duty looking flyback that must have been changed. No way in hell that the original could look that good!

The 21FJP22 is a Sylvania dated 1978. Has the green halo affect on the front. On the tester, it reads on the border line between bad/good. Probably due to all those years of having the "instant on" feature in use. I think it reads good enough that i can put a brightener on it to help out.

Other than a weak CRT, I can't see any other apparent failures. I will guess that the toob being weak is what retired it... not to mention it was probably quite old. The set was at least 10 years old when the new toob was put in. My guess is that this set was retired during the 80's.

I might try bringing it up slow tonight to see if anything happens. I'll post it if I find something.

Charlie
01-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Has two spots near each front coner that is where cardboard stuck to it.

Charlie
01-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Close up of the controls...

Charlie
01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Color emblem...

Eric H
01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
That's got to be a rarity, because it's a Truetone and also because it's a roundie from 1968!!

Wonder if Western Auto got a good deal on some leftover parts?

We are all waiting anxiously to hear if it works. :yes:

polaraman
01-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Charlie,

I have the SAMS if you need a copy. Nice set!!!!!

polaraman

bgadow
01-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Something kinda homey (NOT homely!) about Western Auto & Truetone. And this cabinet fits right in with that feeling.

I notice the Truetone/Color emblem is in the same place that RCA would put the RCA Victor/Color emblem, and I've noticed this on other brands as well. Apparent they didn't try disguising those clones too much. Wonder if RCA built 100% of sets like this (cabinet, chassis, trim) or just how much did they build? Never heard for sure. Hard to believe that some other maker would build, say, a chassis so close to the RCA spec.

Charlie
01-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Well, this puppy has an issue somewhere. I had the variac on it... only up to 20 volts, then came in and spoke to my grandmother on the phone for 30 minutes. Went back out there to give it 10 more volts, and noticed the variac sounded like it was under a strain. After feeling around, I found the cord between the variac and chassis to be a little warm, and, the power transformer was pretty warm as well. That was with only 20 volts on it. Sounds like I gotta short... a bad one. None of the lytic cans were warm, so, maybe I have a rectifier with a short. I'll pull the chassis and see what i find.

My CTC11 had the same problem... shorted rectifier... and was tripping the reset button when i would get up to 35 volts... every time. Hopefully, this will be all it will need.

Yes, Bryan, I think you're right about it being homey. Kinda like being at Grandma's having Sunday dinner and watching The Wonderful World of Disney... then Lawrence Welk!

Polara, my Sams mainly stop at 750, but, I have several loose ones up to 1000. Lemme dig around first and see if I might have one. If I don't, I'll get a copy from ya.

Eric, you may be right. They might have got a good deal on some re-furbished CTC15's... ya never know. CTC15's were from 63? And this set's from '68? That's 5 years behind everyone else!