View Full Version : Retro Christmas

Wardsweb
12-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Here is a picture I found of Christmas at my grandmother's around 1970. The television was black and white. I remember watching all three channels we could get and turning the channel with my toes while watching laying on the floor. it was a much simplier time. :)

Sandy G
12-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Remember watching the little white dot fade away after the TV had been turned off?....Sigh..Yep, THOSE WERE THE DAYS.....-Sandy G.

luvvinvinyl
12-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Pretty big pile of loot under the Hanukah Bush, for those days, too. :banana:

grumpy
12-20-2004, 07:18 PM
That big red present up from looks like it could be a SX-780. So what ya get huh huh ? :banana:

luvvinvinyl
12-20-2004, 07:20 PM
That big red present up from looks like it could be a SX-780. So what ya get huh huh ? :banana:

Did they have a SX-780 in 1970? :scratch2:

heathkit tv
12-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Check out that tree! Hope no one got their eye poke out on one of the branches :lmao:

Am purty sure that set is a 24" 1955 Philco, see the below photo I swiped from the TVHistory site. Those 2 vertical rectangle speaker holes are classic Philco design.

Anthony

Eric H
12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Holy Reynolds Wrap Batman, that's an Aluminium tree! :banana:
complete with color wheel!
We had one of those one year around 1966 I think. :yes:

grumpy
12-20-2004, 08:14 PM
See that poor eyesight bite me again. Didn't realize it was 1970. Hell I was only 3.

HM in 1970 it could have been a Sansui AU-999 :banana:

RuSsMaN
12-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Love the color wheel!!!

Who cares about the white dot, how about tracing your index finder around the screen, like an etch-a-sketch for about 30 seconds after power off.

I need to look through my old pics, unfortunatley - I think we had most of our Christmas mornings in the 'preacher room'. You know, the living area that no one sat in, with all the nice stuff - unless the preacher popped by.

Cheers,
Russ

Sandy G
12-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Oh, yeah !! Got me widdle bum busted a few times for messing up "the Living Room"-it was pretty much OFF LIMITS. Got stung a few times, too-waspers came down to chimney & would hide in the folds of the drapes waitin' to pop you. One got me one time, he was on a stack of LPs.-Sandy G.

Wardsweb
12-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Am purty sure that set is a 24" 1955 Philco, see the below photo I swiped from the TVHistory site. Those 2 vertical rectangle speaker holes are classic Philco design.
Anthony

Give the man a C-gar. It was indeed a Philco. The last time I saw it, it was sitting in the barn behind the house.

polaraman
12-21-2004, 05:17 PM
This Polaraman's house today. The set is a RA 350 Dumont. It is next for restoration. The bearded guy has not shown up yet.

polaraman

luvvinvinyl
12-21-2004, 07:13 PM
My grandmother's living room! :banana:

Everything old is new again. :yes:

bgadow
12-22-2004, 08:23 AM
This is a big year for aluminum trees. Big write-up in the paper last week, with a fellow in NC who opened an aluminum tree museum. Then on CBS Sunday Morning they had a good bit on them, interviewing the guy who made the first one, factory workers, etc., and showing this other museum of sorts that someone has full of them. I had a friend with one, color wheel & all, he was pure redneck (I'm halfbreed!) and for him there was no retro to it, that was his tree and that was that.

Veg, & his predicament with the Zenith, prompted me to fire up my 25MC30 which had not been on in many months. I watched most of Rudolph on it; the reception wasn't too good, but I am working on coming up with a better system. The adventures of no cable in the land of UHF...

veg-o-matic
12-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Veg, & his predicament with the Zenith, prompted me to fire up my 25MC30 which had not been on in many months. I watched most of Rudolph on it; the reception wasn't too good, but I am working on coming up with a better system. The adventures of no cable in the land of UHF...

And did it look as good as I've been imagining? Figures--I got my set after Christmas last year--Jan? Feb?--and I've been looking forward to watching Rudolph every single day since.
Oh, well. I've got $51.00 worth of caps on order. Hopefully, they'll come next week and I can get to work (either fixing or frying, you know me...) and it'll still be the Christmas Season so I'll try to get to Rudy.

wa2ise
12-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Back in 1951 at Grandma's, before I was born. That's a Philco TV on the table next to the tree. It's a B&W roundie.

Eric H
12-23-2004, 02:25 AM
This is Christmas 1964, the kid is me, the woman in the background is my Mom.
Off to the left is our 59 General Electric TV, this is the set I've been looking to replace for years.