View Full Version : Anyone have a print for an Admiral?

Big Dave
12-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Model 3L1115

chassis 19H1073-14

SAMS 1054 (production chance bulletin 1081)

This is for the Admiral color site shown on my website. I was using a similar print for an Airline (made by Admiral). I have major differences in the video section, where I have a problem. I am getting what looks like a double image. It is particularly noticable when I have a test pattern on the screen. I have proven the delay line good (at least I think). I also have to put the brightness at almost minumum to set the backgrounds. The master screen is set at minumim, otherwise I get blooming.

Right now, the chassis is on the test rig. The set's CRT isn't great, but looks decent. The double image is causing me not to be able to do a proper convergence. It is also very noticable when I play a DVD. It has been totally recapped.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I may have something you need.

bgadow
12-20-2004, 09:43 AM
I'll look tonight-I really should have something on this model as I have the remnants of at least one Admiral dealer. Might have some factory stuff. Will post tonight. Trouble is, no scanner here in Hokum City so I'd have to mail it...

bgadow
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
I have the Sams, no factory manual, though. (mostly 70s stuff) Send me your address if you want them & I'll send them on the way. Did you confirm that this is one of the earlier runs? This model isn't mentioned on the cover of 1054 but 1081 confirms it, and the index says this is the right file...however, I see that later production runs get a seperate file later on. The run number would tell you.

If anyone needs any info, got lots of factory schematics from the early 70s through to the end. Lots of duplicates, it looks like, as the repairman apparently kept one for every tv he serviced, with customer's name written on it, as a filing system. A great big stack that probably only covers a half dozen models or so. I threw out most of the Admiral modules he sold me (I was pretty stupid back then, and paid a week's wages for all this junk!) but there is some stuff around here, including a complete modular chassis for one of the later 70s models, supposedly in working condition.

Big Dave
12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
This run 21. According to SAMS, 1054 is the one I need. I will PM my address shortly.

Big Dave
12-30-2004, 10:58 PM
I found a copy of 1054 in a file cabinet in my mother's basement. SAMS was wrong about the runs. The other set should cover this. My set has a "color fidelity" control, which alters the grey scale (located in front). 1054 does not show this control, the other should.

Anyhoo, I found the problem (under my nose). The delay line WAS bad. Apparently a few windings were shorted. It went open circuit tonight. I put a cap (1.0 uf mylar) temporarily and that solved the problem. A brightness issue was also solved by this. I am kicking myself for overlooking the delay line, since the only one I ever replaced was a broken one. Pics will be posted here and on my website. I'm putting it back together tomorrow (paid holiday).

My thanks to bgadow for sending the prints. I'll get 1081 copied and get them back to you ASAP.

I know my temporary repair was not the smartest thing to do, but it'll do for now. I have some junk chassis in my mother's basement, so I'll salvage a delay line next time I'm there. Now, I only have one image of Archie yelling at Meathead instead of two.

Have a nice New Year, everyone.

robdjf
05-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I just picked up an Admiral 3L111/19H1073-14 (with color fidelity control) I would like to get a schematic for it.

Findm-Keepm
05-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Because you are running it on a jig, I must ask, are the cables running between the jig and the chassis short?

Another member here was fighting a phantom problem with a set connected to a test jig and found his cabling to be the cause of the problem.

I was the black and white tech for 7 years at my dad's shop in the 70's/80s.
I've got not a lot of experience with tube Admiral Color sets, but thought I'd ask.

Cheers,

robdjf
05-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh I havent powered it up yet 1 fried disc cap (just part of it left)
And looks like degauss thermistor leads twisted together.
Just doesnt look right someone has been messing with it
I read the post and wanted to make sure I am looking for the correct prints.
Dont want to spend $22.00 from Sams for the wrong ones.
Thanks Rob

bgadow
05-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Rob, I have the Sams-check your PM box.

Big Dave
05-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Brief update. A few years ago, I decided the tube was toast. I have since found a replacement. Unfortunately, the flyback decided to go south. After locating a new fly not far from me, I finished the set.

I was getting the phantom image on the set's CRT. The tube was so gassy, it wasn't confirmen until after I replaced the fly and had it on the rig. I found a delay line and installed it. With a little improvising, I got a single image on the new tube. It now shows Archie giving the raspberry with good efficiency.