View Full Version : Got a Sony KV-4000

Eric H
12-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Picked this up on eBay a few days ago, BIN at a price that was too good to pass up, less than a C-note including shipping!
I happened to come across the listing nearly as soon as it came up, it wouldn't have lasted another 10 minutes otherwise.

This thing is near mint and complete with the original box! The battery box doesn't look like it's ever had batteries installed as the holders are still wrapped in plastic, one small scratch on the top near the front.

The only functional defect I see it the 4 switches across the front aren't working properly, the buttons are on a toggle and they press on micro switches when pushed.
I pulled the bottom cover off and those switches seem to be stuck or the springs are shot because they don't pop back out. They look like common switches, the type you find in a lot of stuff with the exception of the button seems to be a little taller than usual. I'll look through the Mouser catalog and see if they have anything close.

andy
12-09-2004, 12:26 AM

Eric H
12-09-2004, 12:55 AM
That was a great buy. Those usually go for a couple of hundred.

Sony must have had a defective batch of those push button switches in the early 80's. I fixed a projection TV of theirs fromt he same time frame that had every switch bad. They are rubber dome switches inside. For some reason, the rubber domes had all collapsed. The few buttons that still worked failed after a few pushes. If you can't find any switches, I think I have some that will work.

Hi Andy,

That sounds like what's going on here, the switches are stuck down and have no spring action at all. Only the "Band" switch will function at all.

Mouser has a bunch of switches in their catalog that look like they might work. I'll need to get one out so I can measure it and see what the mounting is like.

Eric

Chad Hauris
12-09-2004, 06:06 AM
We must have been lucky...got a similar model at an estate sale for $10. The one we found has a microcassette recorder in the bottom part, though.

Eric H
12-09-2004, 12:23 PM
We must have been lucky...got a similar model at an estate sale for $10. The one we found has a microcassette recorder in the bottom part, though.

Would you like to double your money? :D

ha1156w
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
As you can see from the attached picture above, this KV-4000 is in the "open" position. The CRT also folds flat, parallel with the base via a strange plastic arrangement. Anyone have a spare center support for one of these guys? I have a KV-4000 but the plastic "wedge" that props up the CRT is broken. If there's anyone out there with a parts set they'd be willing to grab the prop-wedge from, it'd be a joy to hear from ya!

Thanks!
ha11456w