View Full Version : Halicrafters 1063A (T 12000 chassis?) fun...

nasadowsk
11-25-2004, 01:26 AM
Well, I got the chassis out on the floor.

The HV is at best, 10k.

It's got a picture - I cleaned the tuner out and that helped a bit. It's a pretty good picture.

Replacing 2 .047uf caps made the vertical section behave. I'll be recapping it as I get more caps and info on the set.

It's quite, errr, simple, under there. But it still runs pretty decent.

It's *not* line isolated. The transformer is for the filiments only. The voltage doubler power supply needs a rebuild. I'm not sure how I'll attack that yet. I might restuff the cans - the values are low and the cans are big.

The OEM selenium rects still work (!). They probbably could use a replacement anyway.

The HV box is a freaking MESS. Something went *boom* in there at one point. It's an under chassis type. The HV rect socket is on the same phenolic board with the flyback, which is kinda neat. The Horz lint (or is it width?) control is really interesting - it litterally just varies the airgap on the flyback. In order to stop the hissing, i had to remove the whole shbang, dissasemble everything, and then basically wash and scrub scrub scrub the junk off the phenolic board. It looks great and doesn't hiss now!

A new HV lead up to the 21MP4 CRT was installed. The HV cap is bad, though oddly you get a picture without it. I suspect the lack of an HV filter is dropping the effective HV a bit, too. So, I need a new doorknob (500mmfd, 21kv, screw end, threaded other end). I put a new clip on the HV lead to the rect to replace the aligator clip that was there (!).

Well, it's coming along slowly. This is a really simple set, but it's not a bad one. Maybe Halicrafters really did know what the heck they were doing when they built it...