View Full Version : What's up with this?

rld-tv01
03-22-2018, 11:28 AM
There's a 1950's portable TV on eBay pictured without the knobs with a "buy it now" price of $35 and a starting bid of $25. The item description states that if you "buy it now" you also get the knobs. I guess if you just bid then no knobs. I'm not really interested in this TV but I hope this doesn't become the new standard on eBay.

Chip Chester
03-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Agreed, but at least you don't have to find and "win" a totally different auction to get a complete set that someone is parting out. Plus, no worries about the price going to $50 or so.

Kind of like buying a 'fishtanked' TV but also being able to buy the original chassis and tube, but for a fixed overall price.

Titan1a
03-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Radios in the 1930's were usually sold WITHOUT TUBES!

fixmeplease
03-22-2018, 08:00 PM
they may have bought it that way themselves. Or they are worried about getting it returned because a tube didnt work, or they want the tubes for themselves, or to resell them seperatly. Offering it without the knobs is pretty cheesy though, unless they are very valuable themselves.

The screwed up ebay policies have caused a lot of these problems and things to happen. The less risk a seller can take is the route they are going to take. Getting burned/scammed from a remorse buyer and having to pay $40-50 return shipping causes these things... and of course seller greed doesnt help either.

decojoe67
03-23-2018, 08:59 AM
One rule of thumb I have with collecting is that when a seller plays ANY type of games I immediately ignore whatever he's selling at whatever price - period.

albanks
03-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Disassembling something then incentivizing potential buyers by offering to include the parts disassembled.

fixmeplease
03-23-2018, 11:03 AM
One rule of thumb I have with collecting is that when a seller plays ANY type of games I immediately ignore whatever he's selling at whatever price - period.

Well said!

kvflyer
03-23-2018, 04:30 PM

And I too feel the same way. I do not appreciate any games...