View Full Version : Sears Roundie Color Combo on eBay

jstout66
11-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Came across this on eBay. If I was close or had the room! I always loved that style of turntable Sears used. It's got a "floating" stylus. Don't know who made them for Sears. Anyway.. here's the link, maybe someone smarter than me can post pix :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2286071334&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Celt
11-18-2004, 12:44 PM
If the TT is original, it came from the late 60's. But 50's? No way.

Charlie
11-18-2004, 01:09 PM
I would guess 1962-66? Didn't Tim have a set with a similar control panel? Here's the pic.

jstout66
11-18-2004, 02:07 PM
the turntable is original. I've seen em on Sears Stereo's of that vintage. I've been on the hunt for one of those turntables but they don't come up very often. This seller has no clue as to age. I don't even think it's listed in the right catagory. I stumbled across it when I typed in "console tv" in the eBay search. Usually I only look in the collectible televisions part and I don't think it's there. This one doesn't look beat up. Do we have any AK'ers in that area? Would be kind of nice for someone to get and would be differant from all the Zenith RCA stuff out there.

Big Dave
11-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Electronically, mine is identical. I think the turntable may have been from VM. The control panel matches perfectly.

orthophonic
11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Most of Sears better turntables including the ones with the floating
cartridge were made my Crescent.

Charlie
11-20-2004, 11:39 PM
I am surprised no one has bid on this set. Someone save it! Not long left! Say NO to landfills!

rca2000
11-21-2004, 02:08 AM
I LOVE roundies, and that one looks nice. BUT-- it is just SO far away, what with gas prices, and the fact that my job ends the tuesday after the next, and most of all, I just don't have the room(I was NOT able to get the new storage area I wanted, which would have held more sets.)

jstout66
11-21-2004, 10:48 AM
I see someone got it for $5.00! Anyone here??

Charlie
11-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Man, 5 bucks! What's important is that someone DID get it. I dont recognize the buyer's name.

Tim
11-21-2004, 06:06 PM
It was me that got it but don't know where I will put it yet. I just could not pass it up at that price. That is 50 cents less than I paid for my '65 Zenith roundie! I am headed up in that direction on business anyway. In a few weeks, I'll let you all know what kind of shape it is in. I don't have much to loose at that price.

Charlie
11-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Glad it was one of us! Tim, you'll find that I had sent you an email thru ebay. Feel free to disregard it. :D

Tim
01-24-2005, 11:44 PM
I finally was able to pick this monster up. Believe me, it was not easy to lift. I have attached a photo of the rear and a closer view of the front. Anyone recognize the chassis? The schematic is almost identical to the CTC-15. The CRT is a Silvertone 21FJ and is still pretty strong on all guns with minimal signs of cataracts so I guess I got my 5 bucks worth and saved the CRT from the landfil. Most of the tubes are original Silvertones. I don't think this unit was used much. The model number is 51971 and I think it is a 1966 model so it is one of the last roundies.

The focus rectifier was bad so maybe that is why it got relegated to displaying the bric-a-brac instead of being used. The tuner or IF seems weak also. Otherwise, the left audio channel is really low compared to the right. The audio amp is solid state. The AM works but FM just produces noise. The phono has a mechanical rumbling sound when turning and I cannot get it to change speeds. There is output from the "floating" cartridge however. It probably needs the usual cleaning and lube. This thing has problem s everywhere you look but it is all fixable.

Unfortunately though, I really do not have the space to keep this monster intact. I am keeping the TV chassis, bezel as well as the CRT. The other component parts can be had for the cost of shipping from 07666 if anyone needs or wants them. I may keep the audio amp and speakers - have not decided yet.

Jstout66 - you can have first refusal on the floating cartridge changer, as you mentioned you were looking for one like it.

The cabinet is available for pick-up only in Northern New Jersey. It is in great shape but a man has to know his own (storage) limitations.

Send me a PM or e-mail if you are interested in preserving your own piece of this. I need to know by the 30th if anyone wants anything.

rca2000
01-25-2005, 04:28 AM
I'd like the power amp, and maybe the tuner chassis.

Someone else can get the speakers, and TT.

Let me know.