View Full Version : What TV is that?

Captain Video
07-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Found this picture on Facebook. Thought the TV to be pretty cool looking, never seen one like this. Is this American, European or Australian?

Captain Video
07-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Ooops, here is the pic:

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=195141&d=1499992761

WISCOJIM
07-14-2017, 12:45 AM
Sparton Nomad Television model 17J1K from 1960.

Bill Cahill
07-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Wow. Is that a neat set. :drool:

WISCOJIM
07-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Wow. Is that a neat set. :drool:

Well, that is just an artist rendering, and may not actually look like the real Sparton set. Because the TV cart matches the table and the lamp, it is unlikely that such a cart was ever supplied by Sparton with this TV.

Electronic M
07-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Well, that is just an artist rendering, and may not actually look like the real Sparton set. Because the TV cart matches the table and the lamp, it is unlikely that such a cart was ever supplied by Sparton with this TV.

It looks like a real (possibly marketing staged) photo to me. Most artists would not bother to get the amount of detail I see, especially in the setting.

It is possible they made that stand to match an existent furniture set of the day. I've heard Drexel, Ethan Allen, and others all contracted with various TV makers in the 60's and likely earlier to make TVs and stereo consoles that matched some of their popular furniture lines so that one could buy the whole matched set including the TV/stereo. An example I can site is a Danish modern CTC-25 I fixed for a friend who has the entire living room set that it matches (I wish I could remember the maker he spoke of). And IIRC Drexel and Motorola were cooperating for a good while.

decojoe67
07-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Very mid-century look! Pink/Salmon, bright red, and various blue-green tones are what makes these sets appealing. Yes, no doubt that the set is staged with period furniture. You could easily find something similar to it today.