View Full Version : Mystery 5.5" B&W from early 1980s

MightyFrame
07-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Hi! I've been here for a while, but this is my first post. This is a great group!

I'm trying to identify the manufacturer, and even the model, of this TV:

http://mightyframe.blogspot.com/p/the-55-mystery-b-tv-from-3511.html

Unfortunately I don't have any trace of the original case/housing, and I can't find any labels, so I'm left to track it down from the internal guts shown here. When I saw this a few years back, it was mounted in some custom fiberglass monstrosity.

I wasn't able to remove any more than what I show in the pics, to see the top of the tube, or the back side of the main board.

I'm hoping someone here might recognize the tube, boards, or circuitry as being something they've seen, have, or worked on before.

This custom thing was likely cobbled together in early 1983, so that is the timeframe we're looking at here.

Thanks everyone!
-AJ

Eric H
07-09-2017, 07:22 PM
The rear controls and jacks plus the single control shaft on the front looks similar to this Panasonic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1986-PANASONIC-TRJ-511T-BLACK-WHITE-PORTABLE-TELEVISION-AM-FM-RADIO-TV-/192213659870?hash=item2cc0d3b0de:g:NagAAOSwWWxY~36 Z

zeno
07-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Not Panasonic / Quasar. Build style distinctive, much neater &
easy to work on.
Most of these 5" sets came from Korea & built by Gold Star,
Samsung or Orion. There were also quite a few almost unknown
brands building clones & branded sets all around Asia. They can be
almost any brand inc some big US ones.
Unless someone says "I got one ! " I think all you can do is check
both sides of the PCB's for brand or logos.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

centralradio
07-09-2017, 08:57 PM
The speaker looks like a tweeter with the solid back on it.

Findm-Keepm
07-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Chip complement? I see at least two ICs, one with the NEC logo, so uPC-something. With a good set of Sams, Hitachi, Sanyo, Goldstar/LG and some GE manuals for similar sets, I could probably come close, but I'd need the chip complement.

The Flyback "FBA" part number prefix is a Samsung thing.....My HR Diemen cross has more "FBA-XXXXX" in the Samsung section...