View Full Version : 64 Zenith

VA561
05-22-2017, 06:40 PM
I have a '64 Zenith console, the "Chancellor" model. When I first turn the set on, there is about a 1" gap at the bottom of the screen. After the set warms up for a few minutes, the raster pretty much fills in the screen. Any thoughts on what could be causing the bottom gap? I have tried tweaking the vert centering and height adjustments. Could there be another issue instead of the vert adjustments? Just curious. The set has a pretty good picture as I type this post.

David Roper
05-22-2017, 06:53 PM
I'd say it was caused by not being warmed up. Really, if the raster fills the screen after a few minutes and the height and linearity remain stable thereafter, there is no point in chasing a "problem".

VA561
05-22-2017, 06:59 PM
In other words, let it be. Good point.

dishdude
05-22-2017, 07:30 PM
What a beautiful picture!

Eric H
05-22-2017, 08:03 PM
A tired Vertical output tube will cause that.
Superb color on that set!

Sandy G
05-22-2017, 08:39 PM
Like a LOT of guys my age & a bit older, I had a pretty good Jones for Samantha. Liked the 1st Darrin, never cared for #2. To see that show on a well- cared for roundie, well, it just don't get much better than that !

VA561
05-22-2017, 09:02 PM
I was always partial to RCA sets but I have to admit, this Zenith has fantastic color for a 53yr old set. The really fun part is to be able to use the fully functioning clicker to turn the set on and off and for volume. You're right! Samantha always looked nice. I'm glad others appreciate what was to me a better era for watching TV on a top of the line set. I agree Sandy, it doesn't get better than that.

zeno
05-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Very nice set & picture. Nothing like period content to show off
a roundie. I like Bonanza for that.
Anyhows I would live with the vert til it gets worse. Could be
either vert tube slow warming so start with quality NOS tubes.
Next is the one or 2 'lytics in the cathode of the V out.
After that look to the caps in the feedback loop. Since you
are under the chassis change both integrators if they havnt
been yet.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

DavGoodlin
05-23-2017, 09:54 AM
How appropriate Bewitched is for a Zenith. The Stevens family had a 1965 then 1969 Zenith (one-knob tuner) in their living room.

It was always funny to see some shenanigans with a family member taking over a broadcast and appearing on the set's screen.

I wonder if there was an extended product placement agreement, getting a new model each season:scratch2:

oldtvman
05-23-2017, 11:52 AM
make sure the potentiometers get a shot of control cleaner and lube. Saw many techs chase their tails on units with dirty or noisy control.

Zenith26kc20
05-23-2017, 02:25 PM
I agree with ZENO! Change the integrators first. My MC chassis did the exact problem when the integrators started to fail.
I assume that is a "JC" chassis?

VA561
05-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the troubleshooting info. Much appreciated.

VA561
06-10-2017, 07:49 PM
It is so nice when you can solve a problem by just replacing a tube(s). I fixed the vertical problem I was having by replacing the vert osc tube(6BA11) and the vertical output tube (6HE5). I ordered the tubes off of ebay and they were nos Zenith tubes. Now I get a full raster from the beginning. No gap at the bottom. Very happy.

miniman82
06-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Nice set larry, wish I had time to get back in mine!

VA561
06-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Thanks Nick. I need to get that '56 Rca color set up to you to bring back to life. The blonde cabinet.

miniman82
06-11-2017, 05:26 AM
stop by any time, I'll be around.

Sandy G
06-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Y'know, I really wonder if we, either individually, or as a group, sit back & "Drink It All In"...We try to save 60-65 yr old relics, devices that were likely the most esoteric items ever produced for consumer use,,

Jon A.
06-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Fantastic pix, no surprise for a Zenith. I'm sure the digicam screenshots don't do it justice. That set has the potential to still be running strong when it's twice its current age.

zeno
06-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Zeniths have the huge advantage of hand wiring but its
amazing how long these sets would last.
They design them aiming at a price. Probably engineers then
would be thrilled at 5 yrs CRT life & 5 service calls. A new jug & another
5 yrs ++. Problem was they built them way to good. Never intended
to have them easily kept going 40-70 years.
Shows you how good we used to be at making things.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

VA561
06-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Television sets made today are definitely not made to last for decades. A friend of mine has a tv shop in Norfolk. He has been working on the sets that we collect since he was a teenager at another shop. He said now when he gives an estimate for repairs, 95% of the time, the customer says "just keep it, I can get a new one for what you charge to fix it". He also says that getting replacement parts for sets today is becoming more and more difficult. Back then, companies like Zenith built quality products. Case in point, my 53yr old set. I doubt you will see many plasma/lcd/led sets around 53yrs from now.I think of my collection as preserving the best of American tv history. To me, the 50's to the 60's were the best not only for the quality in tv sets but for the best programming as well. It was a new frontier. I rarely watch anything on tv now with the exception of the Me-tv and the Antenna channels. What a treat to go over to my '62 coke machine, put in a dime, pull out an ice cold coke, sit down and with my space command remote "clicker" turn on the '64 Zenith and after the tubes warm up of course, play an Ed Sullivan color show with the original commercials. Good times!

kvflyer
06-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Television sets made today are definitely not made to last for decades...

What a treat to go over to my '62 coke machine, put in a dime, pull out an ice cold coke, ... Good times!

And rotten kids as were back in 1962, we would use a bottle opener and pop the top of the bottle and let it pour into a glass. Yes, it was stealing. I don't do that now :D

But I too like old sets... :thmbsp: