View Full Version : Sylvania Chassis Research

TUD1
04-05-2017, 10:07 AM
I'd like to learn more about Sylvania color chassis nomenclature. Since Sylvanias seem to be quite uncommon, I know very little about their chassis numbers. All I really know is that they had D line and E line, and the D12 is a hybrid from 1969. I'd über love to find a D line remote set. My 1974 Solid State Sylvania is an E08. I'm kind of assuming that D line is tube, and E line is solid state? An explanation of the years and chassis numbers, would be highly appreciated.

Electronic M
04-05-2017, 10:22 AM
The D16 5 tube hybrid was from ~1972.

DavGoodlin
04-05-2017, 11:24 AM
The first Sylvania 21" round chassis that was not an RCA clone was the D01. I have a DO2 that needs a tuner cluster and I believe the first rectangular set., found in late 1965 magazine advertisements.
The later color models had the tuners side by side including the D16 hybrid. This "Gibraltar" chassis series started with the D08 or 9 IIRC.
There were some 13" and 15" sets and even some of those came as remotes, according to the Sams.

The "holy grail" standard for a remote set may be the E01 that was very worthy competition for the Zenith CCI flat SS chassis, RCA XL100 and Motorola WID.

At a dealer in the early 80's I saw a lot of the E-sets on the bench and the consoles in the home, and liked most of them, especially the 19 inch ones. They looked about the best of all others when set up right as may on this forum would agree.

The E01 chassis began the series lasting even after GTE sold Sylvania to NAP in the mid 80s. E01 was mostly in consoles and had the electronic tuning making is somewhat unique in that era.

Electronic M
04-05-2017, 11:52 AM
The first Sylvania 21" round chassis that was not an RCA clone was the D01. I have a DO2 that needs a tuner cluster and I believe the first rectangular set., found in late 1965 magazine advertisements.

If you can cobble together the right pots and a tuner subber it should be possible to run it...It may even be possible to find compatible tuners with channel wheels the right size and build up a new tuner cluster that could pass for the original. Could be a fun engineering game.:D

The "holy grail" standard for a remote set may be the E01 that was very worthy competition for the Zenith CCI flat SS chassis, RCA XL100 and Motorola WID.
One nomenclature nit to pick. AFAIK there was no CCI just CC and CCII. CC was found on hybrids (and a few of early production SS sets) so I would not use it as a SS identifier. CCII was on both the flat chassis SS and the vertical chassis SS sets, but never the hybrid sets.

Jon A.
04-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Well, there's the E48 series which I think is the last delta-gun chassis. I have an E48-2 console made in 1979.

Also, I just got several Canadian service manuals. Apparently they were made under the Fleetwood name up here. Let's see, my manuals cover the D-14, D-16, D-19 and D-19A.

On a side note, I always thought this commercial is neat. It's a better-quality upload of a commercial dated 1971.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueWaem-8BPo

sampson159
04-05-2017, 09:39 PM
the d16 slide control hybrid was the best looking set in sylvanias line up.many experts preferred this to the hybrid zenith sets.the e-series sets were immensly popular here in central ohio.at our shop 7 out of 10 were sylvanias.they had 3 modules and were built very simply with a fabulous crt.the e series portables were great performers and delivered a perfect picture.long lasting and we still have a few around here in operation.i currently have a e 45 with electronic tuning.e 48 set with a like new 25vdmp22 and an e 08 set with a zenith crt.would love to find a slide control combo

TUD1
04-05-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the info everybody.

DavGoodlin
04-06-2017, 08:46 PM
If you can cobble together the right pots and a tuner subber it should be possible to run it...It may even be possible to find compatible tuners with channel wheels the right size and build up a new tuner cluster that could pass for the original. Could be a fun engineering game.:D
That is possible, Ill have to look inside it but I think the last owner, a VK'er from the dixie side of our state line, tossed in a tuner assembly from a later side by side tuner Sylvania:yes:

One nomenclature nit to pick. AFAIK there was no CCI just CC and CCII. CC was found on hybrids (and a few of early production SS sets) so I would not use it as a SS identifier. CCII was on both the flat chassis SS and the vertical chassis SS sets, but never the hybrid sets. Thanks, I stand corrected. When my folks finally caved and got color, the 1971 Zenith was simply called chromacolor. At the time I thought it was something that could not be improved or have a sequel. I did not know flat chassis SS was CCII tho' makes sense if the original chromacolor had SOME tubes.

Electronic M
04-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Your welcome. Chromacolor was originally Zenith's marketing term for their Black Matrix CRTs....It gradually had it's meaning diluted by marketing.

Findm-Keepm
04-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Your welcome. Chromacolor was originally Zenith's marketing term for their Black Matrix CRTs....It gradually had it's meaning diluted by marketing.

And used primarily for marketing. Most CCII sets were known as Duramodule sets to us techs. First use of "CCII" that I ever heard was here (when it was still part of AK).

Tube, hybrid, duramodule hybrid, duramodule(aka safety cap eater), System III, and Digital...evolution of Zenith chassis.

Zeno sold them, so Chromacolor probably meant something to him....:yes:

My dad had his nicknames for brands, none of which are unique, I'm sure...

"R-Sorry," "Maggotbox," "AD-misery," "9-dash set," "9-1-Shi**y," "Syl-Bane-ya," and "GH8-eater." Somehow I just knew what he was referring to. :D