View Full Version : 1968 Westinghouse color table set

TUD1
03-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Traded my Zenith 25MC36, Motorola WID, and RCA CTC-120 for this and a KLH 21 radio. This TV needs a LOT of work though. Almost every single tube is shorted, that's SEVEN 6GH8's, and a bucketload of others I have to find. It also pegs the needle on the Filthometer. The picture tube, amazingly, is strong. I have never seen a cataract quite this bad either. It is completely cataracted over. It should just fall right off. It is an RCA Hi-Lite tube.

SpaceAge
03-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Nice! I've never seen a rounded HV cage like then. Then again, I've only seen a few TVs in the short time since I started the hobby. Best of luck with it.

dishdude
03-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Man those Westinghouse sets (especially the color ones) are odd beasts! Very cool.

compucat
03-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Nice! I've never seen a rounded HV cage like then. Then again, I've only seen a few TVs in the short time since I started the hobby. Best of luck with it.

That rounded HV cage reminds me of the Apollo 11 Command Module.

jstout66
03-28-2017, 01:44 PM
I don't think I've seen a color Westinghouse set in person.
I hope you have the knobs.... (hopefully just off for cleaning) ?

DavGoodlin
03-28-2017, 05:05 PM
I have one of these, model CP88A18 chassis V2655 in Sams set 920. The cataract just fell off mine and it is a GE 19EYP22 dated 1973. It was an easy recap but I got sidetracked before I could put it all together.

It is a very odd set, and that is why I like and will not part with it. One triode of a 6GH8 is used for a pincushion amp and another as a power supply voltage regulator for a low voltage, the set has a transistor or two as video amps.

I once had a 25" console version with a near-identical V2656 chassis but I scrapped because all the tubes were removed by the guy who gave it to me. I also necked the CRT, the back cover was also missing.

nasadowsk
03-28-2017, 08:43 PM
So *that's* where the AP1000 containment design comes from!

TUD1
03-29-2017, 12:33 AM
I really should get a clock for my workshop. I sat for 3 hours (!) cleaning this thing, removing the cataract, and resoldering cracked joints. There were a LOT of cracked joints. I just sat with my soldering gun for well over an hour and found joint after joint that needed reflowed. I hit all the ones I could see, but I know there are more lurking. Definite work in progress.

Electronic M
03-29-2017, 08:02 AM
My silvertone CTC-12 clone needed most of it's sweep and color board traces reflowed....All the lead covered traces looked terrible...I forget how long it took, but it was a 'production'.

DavGoodlin
03-29-2017, 09:02 AM
so *that's* where the ap1000 containment design comes from!
:lmao:

Zenith26kc20
03-29-2017, 09:26 AM
That model became known as the "Rocket Ship" at the shops I worked at. And, yes, it loves an occasional 6GH8. If I remember right, the tuner is delicate as well (as you found out) is the printed board! They gave good pictures when sorted out!

zeno
03-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Ugh, never thought I would see another one of these.
Normal for them to need a boat load of tubes. We called
them the moon rocket sets and a few other names.

Last one we saw was a console. Begged them not to fix it
but they got it for free & it had a nice cabinet. Boss had to
replace half the tubes to get it just running. More begging
did no good. It crapped out a few weeks later ( prob the FBT)
boss told her no more work until we got paid in cash. She
wigged out & never paid. All this caused policy changes.
1) no more Westinghouses
2) no more personal charges
3) we started taking credit cards
4) learned to say NO I WONT FIX THIS !

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

BigDavesTV
03-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Great score, U.D.! I love the uncommon and unusual sets, and this Waste-inghouse has all that going on! 😃I see a Zenith-looking deflection yoke and convergence yoke, Motorola-looking connectors, and RCA-like components, and the space capsule HV cage! I have never seen any Westinghouse color sets of this vintage, myself, and likely won't! I will be looking forward to progress reports and someday, screen shots. 😀

old_coot88
03-29-2017, 10:25 PM
We had a few of those come through the shop back in the day, all consoles but same chassis.:yuck: Can't say anything good about 'em so won't say nuthin'.

philcophan
03-30-2017, 10:47 AM
I owned one of these disasters back in the day and so did my best friend... how's that for a coincidence??? They both performed the same act... when watching the news and the back round color would change, such as the weather map would do, the skin tones went right out the window to blue or green, and if I recall, it depended on what color the back round changed to... we never figured that one out and tried, in vain, on both sets.... YMMV!!!

Jim

DavGoodlin
03-30-2017, 11:58 AM
The power supply and sweep sections should be the least of your issues. These are rugged sets and I cant wait to see how yours turns out.

Mine must have a replacement FBT, it looks silicone-encapsulated. It worked for reliable garage-shop watching in the 90s, color sync was touchy and tuner would flake into hash-lines some times, especially on UHF, where all but one of the local channels was. I just left it on the UHF channel I watched the most.:sigh:

DavGoodlin
03-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Great score, U.D.! I love the uncommon and unusual sets, and this Waste-inghouse has all that going on! ��I see a Zenith-looking deflection yoke and convergence yoke, Motorola-looking connectors, and RCA-like components, and the space capsule HV cage! I have never seen any Westinghouse color sets of this vintage, myself, and likely won't! I will be looking forward to progress reports and someday, screen shots. ��

Dave - this sounds like the consumer electronics version of AMC:D, and even more so than an Emerson or Dumont of this vintage

TUD1
03-31-2017, 12:14 AM
Finally got the decataracted tube back in place, along with the chassis. Took the set entirely apart and cleaned everything with hot soapy water.

dishdude
03-31-2017, 01:10 AM
Finally got the decataracted tube back in place, along with the chassis. Took the set entirely apart and cleaned everything with hot soapy water.

Looks showroom! Do you have the knobs?

Kevin Kuehn
03-31-2017, 01:52 AM
That cleaned up really well. And I really like the little nuclear reactor. :D

LADR
04-03-2017, 02:28 PM
I found that tv in an old abandoned tv/radio repair shop along with 6 other sets, it had been sitting untouched since 1978 or 77. I hope to see it working on day.

Electronic M
04-03-2017, 02:34 PM
I found that tv in an old abandoned tv/radio repair shop along with 6 other sets, it had been sitting untouched since 1978 or 77. I hope to see it working on day.

So your Dave's friend/technician/parts source....Welcome to VK! Dave has made you sound like a skilled tech/good person in his posts.:thmbsp:

DavGoodlin
04-03-2017, 04:50 PM

He's getting close to a power up. The circuits in that set are ridiculously simple. I cant wait to see the next progress post!:D

Telecolor 3007
04-03-2017, 05:21 PM
The design looks pretty Europeanen.

TUD1
04-03-2017, 06:57 PM
All I'm missing is a durn 40KD6! I have a 30KD6 I might use for a quick test though. Might also set my isotap to about 105 to reduce the risk of burning something up, especially that tube.

Findm-Keepm
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Can't say anything good about 'em so won't say nuthin'.

Westy also made some 60's Penncrest sets - my best friend's family had one. Gemini HV cage, and theirs had 5GH8 tubes in series fashion....

Watchin' from afar....

dieseljeep
04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Westy also made some 60's Penncrest sets - my best friend's family had one. Gemini HV cage, and theirs had 5GH8 tubes in series fashion....

Watchin' from afar....

I repaired and sold an almost identical set, badged Bradford, W.T. Grant.

old_coot88
04-03-2017, 10:58 PM
30KD6 heater current is higher than 40KD6. In series string, the 30' won't get anywhere near hot enough. (Series strings are constant-current, parallel circuits are constant-voltage.)