View Full Version : The last roundies

Telecolor 3007
02-13-2017, 01:41 AM
The '60's where the decade of rectangular tv sets. But when the last color roundies where made, who made them and which of them where the most relaible - I mean needing repair (except electronics replacement) over periods exceding an year time (maybe even 2-3 years).

Electronic M
02-13-2017, 11:22 AM
RCA's last was the CTC-20 which I think was around 1968, and it was one of the infamous multi 6GH8 chassis series RCA put out that liked to eat that tube.

I for get Zenith's last chassis number, but it was around that time and a decent set.

IIRC Philco kept roundys going until ~1973. in the late 60's they went with a hybrid chassis that had SS IF circuits (and in high end models a tuning eye) those I hear were fairly reliable, and I know were solid performers. Very sharp clear video, and somehow most survivors have perfect convergence (something rarely seen in roundys).

I think Muntz and a couple of others had late roundys, but I know little of them.

David Roper
02-13-2017, 08:22 PM
At least one Muntz dealer was still running ads featuring their bait-and-switch leader model roundie combo as late as 1971, but I suspect the last of those had come off the assembly line several years earlier. There is a well-known 1968 Philco roundie and a lesser-known 1970 Magnavox roundie, generally agreed to be the last of its kind. As far as I know, the latter two were only available as table models.

dieseljeep
02-14-2017, 09:56 AM
At least one Muntz dealer was still running ads featuring their bait-and-switch leader model roundie combo as late as 1971, but I suspect the last of those had come off the assembly line several years earlier. There is a well-known 1968 Philco roundie and a lesser-known 1970 Magnavox roundie, generally agreed to be the last of its kind. As far as I know, the latter two were only available as table models.

The Muntz model 1580 leader model, a burn't orange Plextone painted cabinet, using a 4 tube AM radio and a manual turntable, like the ones used in school phonos and an Astatic tone arm. The color chassis was a RCA CTC15 clone using a Zenith CRT. They must've bought out the last of the round CRT's , when Zenith quit building roundies.
Philco made their own round CRT's.

Telecolor 3007
02-14-2017, 10:08 AM
And which one of 'em was the most relaible? :smoke:

DavGoodlin
02-14-2017, 12:39 PM
And which one of 'em was the most relaible? :smoke:

I vote Zenith 24NC31 and Philco 17MT80. The RCA CTC20 had too many 6GH8's and RCA's infamous flyback to be a better set.

Though Sears and some others may have had one, Motorola, Sylvania, Emerson, Westinghouse and Admiral did not make a roundie later than 1965. My knowledge is limited to my service info and limited exposure. Most round CRT color sets hit the curb just before I started the hobby.

There was a 1968 Magnavox Round color chassis T938 (Sams set 1037). I had one long ago, it had the sick video-color look that many mid-60s Mags were known for, that sold many a CRT. The REAL issue required some advanced troubleshooting with a scope to find the bad parts.:sigh: I was not so patient then.

The only other one I know of was 1966 General Electric's CB21, which was not a clone but a budget version of the CB23 and CB25 which used the troublesome 23EGP22 and much better 25AP22 rectangular tubes.

Steve D.
02-14-2017, 12:47 PM

A 1969 Muntz roundie color ad. Probably not the most reliable color tv available at that time.

-Steve D.