View Full Version : 72 Zenith 12" B&W

Adam
12-20-2016, 09:37 PM
I picked up this '72 Zenith 12" B&W with an interesting hybrid chassis, 12CB12X. Tube vert and horiz sweep, HV, and audio out, everything else solid state. I had been considering parting it out because I thought the CRT was scratched up, but it was nearly all just dirt that wiped off. And it works great as found. I just need to clean the tuner and put a new power cord. Then, I'm just going to blow the dust off the chassis and clean the dirt off the case. And for once, the antenna isn't broken:banana: I took more blurry cellphone pics...

Adam
12-22-2016, 02:17 PM
It cleaned up nicely. I think this is an interesting set, you don't often see a B&W with a hybrid chassis.

TVTim
12-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Sweet find!

nasadowsk
12-22-2016, 06:56 PM
I was gifted one of those a few years ago. Yeah, they're interesting sets. They made TVs in that cabinet style for years and years...

Electronic M
12-22-2016, 07:38 PM
That's the one I swapped ya at the ETF, right?

Adam
12-22-2016, 08:33 PM
Yep, it's that one.

dieseljeep
12-23-2016, 11:04 AM
I was gifted one of those a few years ago. Yeah, they're interesting sets. They made TVs in that cabinet style for years and years...
Some of Zenith's products weren't known for high styling. Rather utilitarian!
I know some people that bought other makes because they didn't like the appearance of Zenith sets. Of coarse, they were sorry for it. Mainly portables!

dieseljeep
12-23-2016, 11:07 AM
It cleaned up nicely. I think this is an interesting set, you don't often see a B&W with a hybrid chassis.

I always liked that model. It was solid-state in the right places! :banana:

Spinning Head
01-07-2017, 08:16 PM
My sister got a set like that for Christmas in the early 70's. It even went to college with her in the early 80's. The video out transistor failed and I replaced it with one I bought at Radio Shack. It was one of the first sets I fixed. My sister was not pleased as she wanted a color set. I lost track of the set after I moved out and I think my mom gave it away. I wished I still had it. This set and the chassis with the power transformer are the two B/W Zeniths I'd make room for.

Captainclock
01-14-2017, 05:37 PM
I believe my great aunt and uncle out in Myerstown, Pennsylvania had a Zenith just like this in the apartment above the garage at the old car dealership that my great uncle owned which was originally a Chrysler dealership that was owned by my great grandfather Calvin J. Wagner.