View Full Version : Polishing Predicta Plastic Screens

Tony F
12-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Hello all. I was wondering what people are using to polish the plastic Philco Screen protectors ? I have some Novus #2 that I have been using on some of the radios that I have. I know that you are supposed to use progressively finer grits (Novus #1) which I don't have. Is there an automotive compound that would work just as well ? The Novus #2 seems to leave visible swirl marks in the plastic. Would some of the products that they use to bring back discolored headlights work ? I'd like to know what people are having the best luck with. And yes, hand polishing only. No power tools.
Thanks!!
Tony

reichsrundfu
12-20-2016, 01:52 PM
It'll depend on how much work your cover screen will need. Assuming it's basically ok without abuse, I'd try a corner with Novus 2 and if the results are good, do both sides with Novus 2 and then again with Novus 1. That's what I do with my Preductas and have always been very happy with the results. Make sure you start by washing the screen on both sides with warm water and dishwashing liquid to get dust and other crap off first!

-George-

timmy
12-20-2016, 03:14 PM
To get rid of swirls from polishing there is a liquid called ebony used in the automotive body business and I'm sure there are others to get the swirls out.

GKinTN
01-01-2017, 02:00 PM
It's hard to polish these screens with liquid compounds unless they are almost perfect to begin with. For a more effective restoration I have had good luck using Micromesh, which is a very very fine sandpaper. Often done wet you start with maybe as rough as 400 or 600 grit but work your way up to 10,000 grit which is almost as smooth as paper. What worked for me was to go in one direction per grit. Basically go back and forth, then switch to up and down on the next grade of Micromesh and so forth. Takes a few grueling hours to do a Predicta screen but with practice and effort you can have great results.

madlabs
01-01-2017, 03:56 PM
I just did mine and it was somewhat rough. I started with 1500 grit wet sandpaper and then went to Novus 3 and then 2. Took about three hours but came out real nice. I had some pretty deep gouges and scrapes and they are invisible now. I tried just #3 to start with and it wasn't going anywhere in terms of the deeper scratches. So even though it was scary to take sandpaper to it I'm glad I did.

decojoe67
01-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Be aware that if you use sandpaper on a TV screen you must bring down the entire surface evenly, not just concentrate on one area or you will get annoying distortion. You must patiently cover the entire surface of the screen. I did it once on an Admiral set and it's pretty scary seeing the screen whited out and powdery, but as you bring it back, once you get the defects out, you will be amazed how nice it looks.

madlabs
01-03-2017, 09:21 PM
Be aware that if you use sandpaper on a TV screen you must bring down the entire surface evenly, not just concentrate on one area or you will get annoying distortion. You must patiently cover the entire surface of the screen. I did it once on an Admiral set and it's pretty scary seeing the screen whited out and powdery, but as you bring it back, once you get the defects out, you will be amazed how nice it looks.

Indeed! I was puckered up when I saw how whited out it was. I would work the bad scratch area and then work my way out from it, then do the entire screen. As you said you don't want to make a divot in the screen. However, it wasn't hard to get the deep scratches out without making a divot, just a reasonable amount of care. I would try the Novus #3 first and only resort to sandpaper if you have to. The one area that was a little tricky was around the Philco Predicta logo, I had to work carefully to get the area right up to it looking the same as the rest without rubbing it out.

decojoe67
01-04-2017, 04:22 AM
.......The one area that was a little tricky was around the Philco Predicta logo, I had to work carefully to get the area right up to it looking the same as the rest without rubbing it out.
I so wish someone would reproduce the gold "Predicta" decal that was found on many sets. My 17" "Debutante" is not etched like my old 21" "Holiday" model and you cannot touch it up with paint no matter how skillful you are.