View Full Version : Just got home with a 721TCS from CL

Eric H
12-18-2016, 06:47 PM
And it's awsome! :thmbsp:

It was about 55 miles away but an easy drive on a Sunday morning

Nice lady, she's had it about 40 years as a decoration but is downsizing and needed to let it go.

It's 100% complete and original, all the tubes I can see look to be OEM RCA, all the bolts are still holding the chassis in, it was missing a few screws from the back so someone has looked at it sometime in the past.
The Ion trap (electromagnet) was off and laying on the rear shelf, no idea why but from the dust on the tube neck it's been that way for at least the last 40 years or more.

I checked the CRT while I was there, it's deader than any CRT I've ever seen, heater lights but not a blip on the meter, base is tight and the pins look solid so maybe an open internally. I have other tubes I can put in it.

Cabinet is good and solid but the finish is very bad, inside it's a horror show of dust and cobwebs, the chassis looks like it's probably in good condition under it all.

It has a very low serial number, lower than most 621/630's so I wonder if the chassis for the 721's were being built at the same time?

It came with a large magnifier, it's broken on one corner but the lens is intact so maybe I can cobble up some type of repair

Eric H
12-18-2016, 07:46 PM
I tried bringing it up on the Variac but the filters are shot.

Seller told me she tried plugging it in, not sure if this was 40 years ago or recently but the heater in the 5U4 was blown.

I put a solid state rectifier in place of the 5U4 and tried to bring it up, even at 20 volts the transformer was humming against a load, (Unlike the 5U4, the Silicon Diodes start making voltage immediately) I was able to ease it up to about 70 volts with it drawing a half amp before I quit, caps are shot and no amount of reforming is going to fix them.

I cleaned out the cob webs and now it'll go into the Que to get fixed someday.

pdr-fml
12-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Unique looking set. On the front of cabinet where speaker is located are those little louvers running across?

Eric H
12-19-2016, 01:56 AM
Yes, it's all louvers, they're solid except where the speaker is.
I found pictures of one being restored and the front is made up of multiple sections.

I was really apprehensive about getting this set since I have no room left, but after seeing it sitting in my living room I'm really glad i did.

I'm going to have to let go of a late 40's Magnavox radio/phono combo to make room, but I'd rather have another TV anyhow.

Radiotronman
12-19-2016, 07:21 AM
That's an awesome little set and very difficult to find. I've only ever seen one in person and love the looks of it. Congrats on the find, should be a nice little set once restored.

arvebe1248
12-20-2016, 11:38 AM
I can't say anything about performance but that set looks good just sitting there. You are fortunate my friend.