View Full Version : Durabrand TVs

crt89
12-03-2016, 12:02 AM
I seem to remember when the last of the CRT TVs were being sold, I saw on Walmart's website. They had black Durabrand TVs about 20" or 25" and I remember in the description it said they were mono. I don't recall them having input jacks either. Was Walmart really selling these at that time, or were they just old items still on their website? I recall most Durabrands I saw were silver, I've never seen black that I recall. This was back in 2008-2009.

kf4rca
12-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Not sure. But I found one on the roadside about 13" or so and it was an SDTV. It has a black cabinet. And it works.

Jon A.
12-03-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm paraphrasing Tommy Boy here, but China-Mart could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves, as long as it's cheap enough.

Them and McGreasy's tie for top spot on my list of bad companies. No wonder they often share a roof.

dieseljeep
12-03-2016, 10:02 AM
I seem to remember when the last of the CRT TVs were being sold, I saw on Walmart's website. They had black Durabrand TVs about 20" or 25" and I remember in the description it said they were mono. I don't recall them having input jacks either. Was Walmart really selling these at that time, or were they just old items still on their website? I recall most Durabrands I saw were silver, I've never seen black that I recall. This was back in 2008-2009.
It seems, I've seen them until the end of 2010. They all could receive DTV stations.
I gave a silver Durabrand 13" to one of my neighbors that could receive DTV and was stereo and had jacks to use in his workshop.
The convergence was always slightly off on the lower left corner. Built by Funai, they had about the same sensitivity as the Magnavox DTV converters.

SpaceAge
12-03-2016, 10:03 AM
I remember seeing regular curved-screen crt TVs with black plastic cases at Walmart in 2008-2009. As I recall they were sansui though.

dieseljeep
12-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm paraphrasing Tommy Boy here, but China-Mart could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves, as long as it's cheap enough.

Them and McGreasy's tie for top spot on my list of bad companies. No wonder they often share a roof.

Being a fellow cat lover, I love your avatar!
Speaking of cats, when I go to Wally-world, they never seem to have Tidy-cats in the bag. There's a place for it, but it's usually empty. I don't buy the other sizes, as they're too expensive and the kind I use works just great. :thmbsp:

Jon A.
12-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Being a fellow cat lover, I love your avatar!
Speaking of cats, when I go to Wally-world, they never seem to have Tidy-cats in the bag. There's a place for it, but it's usually empty. I don't buy the other sizes, as they're too expensive and the kind I use works just great. :thmbsp:
Ha, thanks. I cropped a picture of a tee shirt. There are other Grumpy Cat, a.k.a. Tardar Sauce, photos with that phrase, but I prefer this one.

Also, R.I.P. Colonel Meow. |:<

Titan1a
12-04-2016, 12:52 AM
We almost always find our bagged litter at Wallyworld. Love our cats!

dishdude
12-04-2016, 12:19 PM
I want to say they sold them as late as 2011? iirc the bigger ones were Funai and the 13" was Orion.

Findm-Keepm
12-04-2016, 09:35 PM
I remember seeing regular curved-screen crt TVs with black plastic cases at Walmart in 2008-2009. As I recall they were sansui though.

Sanyo 32" CRT sets were among the last at Wally World here - Wally world gave them away to employees for pennies after the DTV transition. I know of 2 that were dragged home in sealed boxes for $12.72 dollars total. Only one of the two survives - the other was dragged down with a dresser by a 4-year old and destroyed (she/4YO was uninjured)- the shadow mask deformed, and the F-fitting got yanked from the tiny tuner. I grabbed the d-coil and yoke from the carcass and help set it on the curb.

fsjonsey
12-05-2016, 01:12 AM
I had a Durabrand 15" el cheapo flat CRT set from around 2006 or so. Upon opening it up I discovered that it had a recycled Dell branded CRT in it. This was apparently common in bottom feeder Chinese sets at the time. The cabinet face was masked off to make it look more like a regular TV CRT.

Jon A.
12-05-2016, 01:42 AM
I got my only new set at China Mart in early 2006, a Sanyo model DS20425. I curbed it in 2013 upon getting into older sets. I still have the remote though, not sure how that survived.

dr.ido
12-05-2016, 03:48 AM
I've seen a few bottom end off brand sets with recycled CRTs in them (I may have posted about them when I first found them, but I can't think what search for). Though nothing bigger than a 21" and only the 14" sets had PC monitor CRTs. The ones with the used 21" TV CRTs in them were always awful. Those with the monitor CRTs produced a surprisingly good picture in spite of their awful chassis. In hindsight perhaps I should have saved one of them.

They were always the worst of the worst build quality wise as you'd imagine. Misaligned/missing jacks, hideous chrome trim, 1 tiny speaker behind oversized grills for 2. Even these bottom of the range sets had at least 1 AV input, usually 2. I can't imagine anyone selling a set in 2000+ with only an RF input. Even the more recent of those $10 5" B&W sets had a AV input.

Did sets with only RF in really survive past the 90s?

RCAZenith
12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I've seen a few bottom end off brand sets with recycled CRTs in them (I may have posted about them when I first found them, but I can't think what search for). Though nothing bigger than a 21" and only the 14" sets had PC monitor CRTs. The ones with the used 21" TV CRTs in them were always awful. Those with the monitor CRTs produced a surprisingly good picture in spite of their awful chassis. In hindsight perhaps I should have saved one of them.

They were always the worst of the worst build quality wise as you'd imagine. Misaligned/missing jacks, hideous chrome trim, 1 tiny speaker behind oversized grills for 2. Even these bottom of the range sets had at least 1 AV input, usually 2. I can't imagine anyone selling a set in 2000+ with only an RF input. Even the more recent of those $10 5" B&W sets had a AV input.

Did sets with only RF in really survive past the 90s?

I have a Funai (symphonic branded) set from 2001 that is RF only in my. Bedroom. I know it is a total peice of crap, but it won't die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpaceAge
12-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Sanyo 32" CRT sets were among the last at Wally World here - Wally world gave them away to employees for pennies after the DTV transition. I know of 2 that were dragged home in sealed boxes for $12.72 dollars total. Only one of the two survives - the other was dragged down with a dresser by a 4-year old and destroyed (she/4YO was uninjured)- the shadow mask deformed, and the F-fitting got yanked from the tiny tuner. I grabbed the d-coil and yoke from the carcass and help set it on the curb.

The ones I saw looked like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kB2DtJlNYHU

David Roper
12-05-2016, 08:46 PM
I have a 13 or so inch GE in a white cabinet from 2002 (ISTR buying it about a year later) that is mono and has no auxiliary anything, not even an earphone jack.

Findm-Keepm
12-06-2016, 06:30 AM
I have a Funai (symphonic branded) set from 2001 that is RF only in my. Bedroom. I know it is a total peice of crap, but it won't die.

Perhaps these sets will become the Muntzes of the future? :scratch2:

RCAZenith
12-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Perhaps these sets will become the Muntzes of the future? :scratch2:

Haha not hardly. I have had other symphonic sets die. I had a 27" stereo symphonic tv with RCA inputs in my son's room that got to where everything had a green hue to it. It was made in 2004. It technically works, but for all practical purposes it's broken. The 21" symphonic in my room (rf only) works great.

Electronic M
12-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Haha not hardly. I have had other symphonic sets die. I had a 27" stereo symphonic tv with RCA inputs in my son's room that got to where everything had a green hue to it. It was made in 2004. It technically works, but for all practical purposes it's broken. The 21" symphonic in my room (rf only) works great.

Pop the back and adjust the grayscale, and it will look good again....Granted the CRT is probably getting old, and may not be in range of adjustment if you need to tweak it 2-4 more times, but that should get it back to even for a few years.

AUdubon5425
12-11-2016, 07:41 PM
The last 27" crt sets I remember were black, branded Sansui with DTV tuners. Still have a dead one in storage.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk